Korth Revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Xringchaser, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Xringchaser

Xringchaser Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2019
    so I’ve recently acquired two Korth revolvers. On is an older 22 with a 6” barrel. The other is a newer Nighthawk/Korth Mongoose with an auxiliary 9mm cylinder.
    I’ve finally been able to put them to use a little and couldn’t be happier.
    The 22 shoots very well offhand. I haven’t had a chance to put it on a rest or try other brands of ammo yet but it can only get better.
    The 357/9mm was a bit disappointing with Blazer Brass off the bench. I changed to the 9mm cylinder and shot some American Eagle that did quite well.
    I shot some 357 handloads this morning and was pleasantly surprised how much difference there was.
    I was able to get 2” groups offhand at 15 yards and that’s pretty good for me anymore.
    I’m looking forward to working with both of them.

Dwe, Gafanhao, duketbrd88 and 4 others like this.
  2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Fantastic revolvers. I would love to own a mongoose. Glad you are shooting them.

3. bac1023

bac1023 1911 Collector Moderator

Aug 15, 2011
    Exquisite handguns.

I own several of the old Ratzeburg models.

C590282B-3C6E-4F1F-8F0F-01AE480788AD.jpeg

Dwe, 340pd, Dub and 9 others like this.
  4. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
    I’ll be watching for more. I’d like to get a 3” version of the 357 and a 4” 22.
    I was surprised how easy the 357 was in recoil. It sure didn’t pound my knuckle like the S&W’s I have seem to do. It probably has a lot to do with the grips? The Mongoose has Nill’s on It.

5. Brianfede

Brianfede Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Congrats on 2 great wheel guns. Since you gentleman have such exquisite taste, any chance you can compare the current NH Korths to the Manurhin MR73? Similar? Preference?

6. Stentor

Stentor NRA Life Member Supporting Addict

Sep 21, 2015

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011
    The new Korth in Lollar has the same name, but its actually a different company in a different factory with different workers. They are nice guns and I've shot a couple, but I only buy the Ratzeburg guns.

As for the MR73, I wouldn't put ANY DA revolver built today on the same level...

[​IMG]

Dub, duketbrd88 and Xringchaser like this.
  8. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
    So are the MR 73’s the same as current production versions? I’m assuming they are similar to Nighthawk/Korth and the original Korth’s? Similar but different.

9. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011
    No, the new MR73 is very similar to the originals. The Korths are different.

10. bvbarry50

bvbarry50 Sarg.

Oct 11, 2018
    They look good but how do they shoot ? great under harsh weather ?

11. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011
    Korth Combat and Manurhin MR73 revolvers are among the most accurate ever produced.

Considering they the blued carbon steel, I can only assume they would wear similarly to others.

Korth Ratzeburg did make some stainless guns and the new Lollar Korths have a more durable finish. However, I’m not a fan of stainless on such a tight fitting gun. I prefer carbon steel with a nice blued finish.

Dub and limbkiller like this.
  12. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
    They shoot great.

13. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    There was also the "plasma finish" which I take to be something akin to Ion Bond. That would be more durable than blue.

14. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, the later Ratzeburg models were available with plasma. Not the vintage models like mine though. Korth went through a series of changes.

Dub likes this.
  15. duketbrd88

duketbrd88 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Do they all have the polygonal rifling? I like shooting lead bullets, but everything I read on polygonal rifling says be careful.
    What are your thoughts on shooting lead bullets through a new 4" mongoose?

16. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I remember the big change was from five to six shots.
    By the time I had learned what a Korth was (Print forms, no internet in those days), the sixshooter was standard but there were five shot guns on the secondary market.

17. bac1023

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah Korth changed that back in the early 70’s. I feel the 1970’s guns were their high water mark, but they are all incredible revolvers.

Dub likes this.
  18. Andyd

Andyd Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2018

Xringchaser,

which .22 l.r. Korth do you have? Is it one that already has the roller bearing? Like Brian I love the old Ratzeburg Korth revolvers and have been in the Korth Ratzeburg shop and Lollar factory and can attest that the new models are very different from the old hand-made guns.

The plasma finish was a PVD process that is very wear resistent and could be ordered in different colours. Korth had that work subcontrated, as they had the bluing and hardening of the parts. They used the same company to harden their parts that SIG Sauer GmbH uses. At some time Korth also had the barrel shroud subcontrated to a company in nearby Hamburg-Ahrensburg.

Korth had the first .357 Magnum revolvers up to the 29th series as five shot guns since they were used in a Deutscher Schuetzenbund sanctioned discipline that only allowed five shots to be loaded and the revolvers were made mostly for the domestic market and priced competitively to Colt and S&W.

I personally prefer the sport models to the Combat models with their teutonic rear sight :)

From the humble beginnings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

to the completed lock work
    [​IMG]

and the final shape

[​IMG]

PWS, Dub, Guy Montag and 4 others like this.
  19. Xringchaser

Feb 2, 2019
    I’ll try to get the serial number Monday and maybe a photo. I’ve hardly had time to shoot the gun!
    First impression was sure awesome though. It is very smooth.

20. Andyd

Andyd Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Does it have the cylinder release on the right top or is it the ejector rod release? Once the cylinder nder release was moved up, Willi Korth had finished the lock work and it has the double action roller bearing.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted