1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kroil is the recommended cleaner by Dan Wesson. Doesn't sound very impressive as a gun cleaner. Kroil has been around for three thousand years, is a penetrating oil, and just smells terrible.

However I used Kroil today for the first time on my new Dan Wesson as a gun cleaner. It's the best darn gun cleaner I have ever used! I have another thread going about Dan Wesson cleaning and I kind of made fun of Kroil. My apologies! I have seen the light!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ve used it to clean & restore older, blued revolvers. Soak a couple of days in a zip lock bag, then lightly rub down with bronze wool.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ever try 40% kerosene, 40% mineral spirits and 10% ATF?

Smiles,

Reactions: DSTallguy

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Kroil is the recommended cleaner by Dan Wesson. Doesn't sound very impressive as a gun cleaner. Kroil has been around for three thousand years, is a penetrating oil, and just smells terrible.

However I used Kroil today for the first time on my new Dan Wesson as a gun cleaner. It's the best darn gun cleaner I have ever used! I have another thread going about Dan Wesson cleaning and I kind of made fun of Kroil. My apologies! I have seen the light!
Kroil is also very good for clearing out leading.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Ed’s Red
HA! Ed is an old friend and made the formula PD in my early firearms discussion area in 86. I can post the formula if people want to make it up.

When I was given the 1911A1NM that was passed down to me when a friend passed, it had been fired and put away dirty for a lot of years, basically locked up. Took off the grips and tossed it in Ed's Red. Worked wonders.

20201013_171029.jpg

·
Registered
834 Posts
Ed’s Red
Yup, I heard that too. I learned to make it from a guy that cleaned a lot of guns at a police armory back in the 60's. I didn't think much about it until a read about Ed's Red many years later.

Just be careful using it around wood finishes due to the mineral spirits.

Smiles,

·
Pearl Pimp
2,646 Posts
I use Kroil to clean vintage military guns. The stuff is fantastic, but the smell is awful!

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
great stuff for cleaning.....i drop my pistol barrels into a container with Kroil...let 'em soak a bit and any leading, fouling, carbon, etc. just wipes right out! The stuff is awesome as a cleaner....

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Kroil & ballistol both are good stuff .You know they"re other things in life that have a smell to it but it works great and we will rub on it untill we 're pleased !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Kroil is a great penetrating oil for rusty screws and bolts. And it works well as a rust preventative as well. I use it in precision rifle barrels with JB bore paste on a patch to get rid of a stubborn carbon ring. Works wonders. And yes, I like the smell too!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts