1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Kroil is a great penetrating oil for rusty screws and bolts. And it works well as a rust preventative as well. I use it in precision rifle barrels with JB bore paste on a patch to get rid of a stubborn carbon ring. Works wonders. And yes, I like the smell too!
Wrote an article on Kroil for Brownells years ago. I used a classic model 54 that was fairly rusty to show the safe ways to remove the rust and leave the blueing undamaged. I liked the 54 so much, I talked the owner (Ed Harris) out of it and gave him a primo 03.

I'll see if I can find the article.

·
Premium Member
26,728 Posts
Wipe-out Patch-Out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever tried, dissolves carbon as well.

I haven’t used it on melonite, at least not the exterior

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Wipe-out Patch-Out is the best bore cleaner I’ve ever tried, dissolves carbon as well.

I haven’t used it on melonite, at least not the exterior

Ahhh but Kroil does leading so nicely! I do have great bore cleaners including Humpy's copper cleaner, but on pistols using cast boolits? Works nicely.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have pretty much went to Kroils to clean all my pistols, autos, revolvers, and single shots. After cleaning the barrels I run a dry patch through the barrel then wipe the firearm down with a thin coat of 3-36.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It’s been what I have been using on my Dan Wesson. Will never go back to anything else, and I’ve used countless other products. The smell is not that bad.

·
Registered
834 Posts
What is the other 10%?
Sorry, math is hard! I don't add acetone. It isn't necessary. I use deodorized kerosene and mineral spirits and any ATF and mix in 1 quart spray bottles and use like a mini pressure washer.

ATF is also my main lubrication for most of my guns!

When using lead bullets properly sized to barrels this stuff does a great job of cleaning my target guns. I usually clean after 300 rounds and my barrels are squeaky clean using just a rolled up paper towel!

Smiles,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ed's Red is also good on shotguns. The ATF dissolves the plastic residue from the wads in the bbl and chokes tubes. I never used it in my handguns, but from the reports, I guess I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Put your used Kroil cleaning patches in an airtight container before throwing them in the garbage cans. My garage had to be aired out for a while this morning to remove the Kroil fumes.

·
Premium Member
5,120 Posts
Add one note about using Ed's red indoors:

Do not add acetone. I have a 50 cal ammo can full of ER in the shop, had to ask Ed about the mix for keeping it indoors.

ER was made public domain in my firearms discussion group in 1986.

·
What me worry ?
11,249 Posts
Thank you guys for the great advise , I’ve had to go down the road and have the neighbor lady make some for me —— I’m tired of being her sex toy to pay for it ,and it was stinky !!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts