1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow.... talking about gaining some knowledge (that many here already have) about .38 super barrels. I had an incident with Mrs. C's latest "self build" on its live fire range testing.
Needless to say I had to figure what & why. Through the process I discovered that both my RemSport .38 super barrels differed from my DWs, WCs, & NHs .38 sups.
It was in the way they index the casing for head space. ***Like I said, the experienced here know/knew that****
Anyway.... to make a short story long.... I emailed RemSport over the weekend and got great Customer Support phone calls from 2 different people there. Cody from internet sales and Ron from quality. Ron informed me that .38 super barrels ordered by internet customers get barrels
manufactured to SAMMI standards (for liability purposes) and barrels ordered by volume customers get barrels manufactured to the customers specifications.
The main difference is most of the volume customers want head space controlled by casing mouth and SAMMI specs control it by casing rim indexing.
I now know the difference and why one is preferred over the other.... RemSport rep. actually agrees to the reasoning of the case mouth indexing.
They offered to replace my to barrels with ones to my choosing if I sent the others back.... As I type, they are on their way.

For those of you who know this info much better than I, please note, I am writing this based on MY understanding... should it be obviously flawed, feel free to correct. If you want to just wordsmith it..... well.... do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As I understand from reading about the 38 Super (AKA Super 38), the original chambering headspace on the case semi-rim. Those guns usually produced patterns instead of groups. Later, people like Bill Wilson, and probably others produced barrels that headspace on the case mouth. That supposedly corrected the lack of accuracy problem. I am shocked that anyone is still producing barrels that headspace the old way. I have only one gun in this caliber and it has a Kart barrel and shoots ammo loaded in 38 Super Comp brass just fine. so I assume it headspaces on the case mouth, as it should.

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I understand from reading about the 38 Super (AKA Super 38), the original chambering headspace on the case semi-rim. Those guns usually produced patterns instead of groups. Later, people like Bill Wilson, and probably others produced barrels that headspace on the case mouth. That supposedly corrected the lack of accuracy problem. I am shocked that anyone is still producing barrels that headspace the old way. I have only one gun in this caliber and it has a Kart barrel and shoots ammo loaded in 38 Super Comp brass just fine. so I assume it headspaces on the case mouth, as it should.
As I tried to state above, RemSport only does them like that for liability reasons. They claim that SAMMI is the industry specs. They do feel as though SAMMI should be updated to more closely resemble industry practice. He did mention that they will contact SAMMI to see if there is enough reasons to warrant changes.

Reactions: wrmiller

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad RemSport took care of you Sir.
All's well that end's well? :)
Did I mention I ordered an EB barrel the same evening I wrote to RemSport?
Looks like I'll have one for the next self-build. :grin:

Reactions: Jrock9 and wrmiller

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was my impression that if an individual buying a .38 sup barrel from them can actually request in the notes area that it be fabricated for case mouth index. But it has to be requested by the buyer to limit RemSport to only quality and material liabilities.

·
The Tinker
4,478 Posts
Did I mention I ordered an EB barrel the same evening I wrote to RemSport?
Looks like I'll have one for the next self-build. :grin:
Yup, you mentioned it in one of our IMs.

Again, if you ever need/want to machine/turn anything, you are welcome to come on down and use my machines.

I'll just sit back with my coffee and watch. :D

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, you mentioned it in one of our IMs.
Again, if you ever need/want to machine/turn anything, you are welcome to come on down and use my machines.
I'll just sit back with my coffee and watch. :D
I'll bring your coffee!!!

Shoe Sitting Logo Denim Lap

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As I tried to state above, RemSport only does them like that for liability reasons. They claim that SAMMI is the industry specs. They do feel as though SAMMI should be updated to more closely resemble industry practice. He did mention that they will contact SAMMI to see if there is enough reasons to warrant changes.
I do not understand the liability thing at all. Just last Wednesday I mailed a check for a 1911 barrel that headspaces on the shoulder(400 CorBon). Sure hope I don't regret it.

·
Premium Member
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!
5,547 Posts
All the cartridges that are bottle neck will head space off a datum line on the shoulder.
Tru Dat!
Bottle neck handgun cartridges are too much of a PITA to reload,
and IMO aren’t worth the trouble.
I’ve got a 400CB that I set up for my 550b years ago. Very hot round and had pressure indications at any load combinations I tried. So I retired it and bought 10mms. Much happier now.

Reactions: TheCollector
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.