Kydex for a 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Mike Goldstein, May 15, 2020.

1. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    I have both. I like both. Leather looks nicer. Kydex is thinner. So pie. Get what you want.

nathanotis and Lineman1982 like this.
  2. AGENT P

AGENT P 1911 'TIL DEATH DO US PART

Jun 24, 2019
    As another option check out urban carry. They have leather that has the click in of kydex. They call it lock leather.
    The link.
    https://urbancarryholsters.com/

2tone likes this.

3. Jason Burton

Jason Burton Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2012
    I’ve owned more holsters than I can remember (not kidding, easily 200 or more over the years) and I will always appreciate the craftsmanship that goes in to effectively designing and crafting a leather holster. I’ve also tried a good many kydex holsters over the last 20 years or so but never found a ‘soft spot’ for much of it.

That said, I’ve had JM Custom Kydex build me holsters/accessories for other platforms but a couple months ago decided to try an IWB for a 1911. I continue to be impressed with the rig and the overall functionality of it. I think JM Custom Kydex is producing some of the best quality and most functionally designed kydex concealment gear available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blamo, DustyMetal01, FWoo45 and 18 others like this.
  4. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    such a sweet 1911, Jason. Love your work, perfect carry piece, imho.

5. Kilrb

Kilrb Member

May 6, 2020
    Check out Red Hill Tactical, they make good holsters. Have several of them for my full size guns

6. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    Holstering and unholstering a lot (match shooting) in kydex has put racing stripes in the bead blasted tops of my slides, versus the more even patina of leather holster wear, so I just bought a Garrett for my latest blaster. I don’t think it will draw *quite* as fast, but I’ll hopefully get used to it.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  7. Mike Goldstein

Mike Goldstein Well-Known Member

May 10, 2020
    That's a product endorsement that carries some weight. Thank you for your insight Jason!

FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  8. Coonan357

Coonan357 Member

Dec 31, 2019
    +1 on the Garret lined holster.
    I've been carrying my 10mm SR1911 Night Watchman in their Silent Thunder lined IWB holster for about half a year now. It's comfortable and I'm not seeing any wear on the pistol.
    I carry my Clock G20sf in a Comp-tac Infidel Max (almost identical to the silent thunder holster) but I wanted a lined holster for the Ruger. That's why I went with the Garret holster. Just get their Tough Clip if you go this route.

simonp and AGENT P like this.
  9. nathanotis

nathanotis Active Member

Feb 6, 2020
    My 1911 is no multi-thousand dollar safe-queen, but the gun you carry is better than the gun you don't carry... and kydex does the job for me.

JM Custom Kydex (In case you wanted to know)

IMG_20200515_204214.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  10. hamholfarm

hamholfarm 1911Addicted-> Avoiding Intervention

May 10, 2014
    220, 221, whatever.

Dub likes this.
  11. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Blasphemes!

Steel and wood deserves leather, not recycled drink straws.

[​IMG]

HooDoo Man and studenygreg like this.
  12. Onramp

Onramp New Member

Dec 3, 2019
    Couple of thoughts on Kydex. First, use a holster maker that uses virgin plastic vs recycled plastic. Recycled can have bits of other stuff that can end up scratching your pistol. Second, keep the thing clean inside! Like all holsters worn daily, dust and other grit can get in there and should be cleaned out. I use only Kydex holsters for all my 1911s, Berettas and this and thats. No problems with any of the finishes.

13. Liggett

Liggett Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Cheap Kydex will wear your gun more than leather lined kydex will be most forgiving to wear but the draw will be, like leather, slower. High-quality kydex, like is available from some makers like GX and RHT, will be somewhere between normal kydex and leather. The finish originally applied to the firearm also affects it's ability to stand up to holstering. This pic is my Sig 938 daily carry and has been shot in quite a few matches as a BUG gun. it's done in Sig's Nitron finish, and has never been in anything but an AMAZON "Concealment Express" kydex holster that I find very comfortable day to day. I've carried it, competed with it, and practiced with it for 5 years now in the same inexpensive 938.jpg kydex holster.

14. Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Active Member

Nov 18, 2018
    With the exception of competition and target shooting, a firearm is a tool to be used as required and for a specific intended purpose. Consequently, the proper and most effective use of that tool should be the objective. The holster is the manner in which one carries that tool and draws from it on call. My simplistic point is that the best holster is the one that works best for you, that you will practice with and that provides adequate safety and protection for your firearm and you. Beyond that it is cosmetic! I am not about to suggest that cosmetic is unimportant, but it is secondary to your consistent performance.

Dub, nathanotis and Liggett like this.
  15. Dub

Dub born in the wrong century

Mar 19, 2017
    Can’t argue with that. Well said.

Carry always and carry concealed is my motto.

Comfort is also nice....especially if it means you can carry without figetting and dikking around with the holstered weapon.

I find most leather more comfortable, but that’s not always the case....especially if the holster is overly wide. I detest stuffing half-a-cow under my belt...when a slim SS2, Silent Thunder or similar will do. Looks like Tucker is doing some nice minimalistic leather-lined kydex, too.

By all means, though, get dressed and then shove that biatch in there and go forth & enjoy the day. :)

I didn’t realize they were doing Duty over aluminum. My sample size is limited to a single gun, a lone Valkyrie, though.

:). Gotta love a well-timed Michael Keaton quote. :)

Virgin plastic?

Alrighty then.

Party on.

Onramp and FWoo45 like this.
  16. Coonan357

Coonan357 Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Lined vs unlined.
    I've carried the Glock in the unlined holster for about five years. I'm not meticulous about wiping out the dust in the holster and it shows on the slide.
    I have only been carrying the Ruger in the lined kydex for about half a year. The finish has not been marred.
    Both holsters are comfortable for me.

Ruger SR1911 10mm Night Watchman in a Garrett Industries lined Silent Thunder Guardian.
    [​IMG]

Glock G20sf in a Comp-tac unlined Infidel Max.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Scott

Mike Goldstein likes this.
  17. kevinlittell

kevinlittell Active Member

Apr 4, 2020
    I only give my babies lined leather or GI flap holsters....With a thumb break so my dumb ass doesnt drop it in the middle of Walmarts..........

Its a free country though.

DustyMetal01 likes this.
  18. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
  19. jakebrake

jakebrake middle aged white guy

Mar 27, 2013
    finding a 1911 lightbearing forward cant leather holster is insanity.

finding kydex for my tle/rl and streamlight tlr1 was a cakewalk.

azpoolguy and zChambers like this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    One adviso. The finish on the slide of an RO Champion (SA's LWC) doesn't like Kydex or plastic or anything unlined. That will get resolved in time with a better finish. This was posted just in case someone would want to know.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted