close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kydex Holsters

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Combat Commander, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
    What would you guys like to see in a Kydex Holster.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    no sweat shield and straight drop.

3. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    A raven concealment systems type holster is what I want to get for my Warrior

4. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    I already make those.

5. Carolinaboy

Carolinaboy Aim Small Miss Small Supporting Addict

Sep 17, 2011
    You have any pics of some examples of your work?

6. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
    Hello Kitty print?

7. Quack

Aug 15, 2011
  8. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Full sweat-shield (to keep my love-handles out of the way so I don't pinch when holstering :lol: ; more seriously, the sweat-shield should not have any portion that's small enough to get inside the trigger guard, in any possible way, and that on a firearm which uses a 1911-type thumb safety, that the shield positively locks it in-place, engaged), an ability to adjust the cant in a "fine" manner (so that it doesn't go, from, like, neutral/5-degree and the next setting is at something like 20-degrees :lol:), and that it is nicely molded: picking up on the lines and details of the firearm.

Good coverage of the trigger guard is a must, and I actually would like it to also at least partially shield the magazine release (at least from the outside, on ambi-release models).

For an OWB, I'd like it to ride high and tight - so that if I wanted to carry concealed, the muzzle portion won't drop below the hem of a typical un-tucked T (granted, with longer guns, a bit of cant might need to be introduced). I don't mind a bit of extra material, in how "wide" the holster is, if that helps guaranty that the holster/gun stays firmly planted when I move, but it shouldn't be so bulky that when I take a knee on that side, that the Kydex winds up digging into the top of my thigh, either.

For an IWB, I'd like the back side ("skin" or "shirt" side) to be nice and flat so that there's no hot-spots, and perhaps lined with something that'll give it just a little more padding than hard plastic. "Tuckable" clip options would be nice, especially if you made the clips long enough so that you can actually properly tuck the shirt down into its gap with the holster body. And FWIW, although I can appreciate the security of the "Pull-the-Dot" fastener, they just scream "gun" to me. A simple leather loop or a "C" clip, with a few color options so you can match your dress/belt would be my preference.

I'd want the holster to extended all the way to the muzzle (I think "open" holsters are sexy, but...), I don't want to even remotely worry about the front sight getting hung up during the draw, and I also want some extra protection for the gun, in case I end up on the ground, OWB. Also, in terms of IWB, I figure the closed muzzle hass gotta wear a little less than metal, on my pants, right? Anyway, I'd like the muzzle to be as closed as possible to keep out the worst of the dirt/lint, but open enough to allow water and sand to drain, if I were to wear OWB.

I'd love for a light-enabled holster to capture not on the light, so that we'd have the ability to run the gun with or without.

Finally, I'm all for different colors and patterns, but for the love of all that's good, if you're going to do a "carbon fiber" one, let it be real carbon-fiber - or at least an overlying layer of real CF. :biggrin1:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  9. Rinspeed

Rinspeed Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I think plastic holsters belong best with plastic pistols. :wink:

10. rsxr22

rsxr22 Member

Aug 17, 2011
    It's all opinion Rin! I have 1 leather holster which is a VMII and I like it, but im not in love. That is the only leather i would ever buy. I love my RCS stuff and Im a big fan of Garrett Industries Silent Thunder models. They make some nice leather options as well. I just like the fact that kydex doesnt wear out and you dont need to treat it with anything. Ive spent a few hundred on Galco Royal Guard's which i thought were extremely nice. In 3 years i wore a 1911 and glock holster out!!! Just my .02

11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    My CBST, but with no sweat guard, OR a sweat guard like the VMII has.

I would actually like an adjustable leather holster! VMII that sits lower and has more cant.

12. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Check out Pure Kustom holsters.

13. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    That easy to do sweat shields are no problem. Adjustable offset clips will take care of the cant issues.

No problem that a easy one.

Another easy one these holster ride high.

Putting padding on the back side of the holster will make it thicker taking away the biggest benefit of Kydex.
    Moleskin can be used to make it softer.
    Hardware is easy I make custom stuff up all the time.

I agree

This is not easy retention has to be some where, some guns will work without the light.

This is funny I did one in carbon fiber Kydex for a customer he liked it. I think it looked like ****.

14. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I would like to order a holster from you soon when I get settled in at my new place/job. Some holsters have a way of clicking when they are positively holstered, is there anyway you could do that, or do they already do that?

15. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    RE: Padding the "skin"/shirt side -
    Indeed, that's a big compromise - I do love the thin profile of the Kydex I currently have. Good point on the Moleskin - very thin, adds a degree of comfort, and replaceable when-necessary.

RE: CF -
    :lol: Hey, if we didn't all have different tastes, the world would be a boring place!

I think I'll have to stop by and visit you the next time I'm in MI. We go see friends in the Monroe/Detroit area about twice a year, and I'll have another friend in the Ann-Arbor area within the next 6 months, too. :smile:

16. Combat Commander

Sep 19, 2011
    Yes they do click.

17. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Cool. i'll be contacting you in the future!

18. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I perfer leather as some plastic holsters scratch up the top of the slides on my 1911's.

19. claire

claire Anger Management Graduate

Sep 22, 2011
    Why is it kydex scratches some guns but not others. I have a Tucker unlined kydex that has tore up my PM9, but has done nothing to my TRP. I only use the holster at the range, but am thinking I need something different.

claire

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted