L-n-L on its way :) Now what?

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Gress, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks, grainfed....:lol:
    OK, bit the bullet and ordered HDY L-n-L AP with the case feeder from Cabelas. They have a $20 off on orders > $150 plus HDY has a 250 bullets free promo expiring 12/31. Was hard to pass on the two with the press already discounted by Cabelas at $399. Hope I will like it. :smile:
    Ordered their new "Dimension" .45 dies just out of curiosity, as I think my Lee dies would be fine...
    Not sure what is the difference between the Lee and the HDY dies for .50gi either. Perhaps Jess can help me out with this.

2. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Congratulations, you did well. The bullet promo is for 500 bullets. They limit your selection to one weight in handgun calibers but they are of the XTP variety. For the 45ACP they offer the 185 grain XTP - all you need to do is send $15 with the rebate form for shipping.

3. Rod38um

Rod38um Opinionated Shooter

Oct 5, 2011
    Gress, will you be loading lead bullets or the jacketed or plated variety?

Oh and congrats!

4. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks.
    I am currently in love with .50gi and this is why I decided to give the HDY a try, as my Lee case feeder would not feed .50s and I hope that HDY feeder would.
    With .50gi I mostly use jacketed and a bit of full copper ones. For .45 I use both jacketed or plated.

5. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks, Joe. You are correct its 500 bullets. I remembered it wrongly. And yes, 185gr XTP is the only choice for .45acp.

6. Rod38um

Oct 5, 2011
    Gress, I dont know anything about the .50 On the 45 ACP, if you were going to use lead, I was going to suggest seating and crimping in two different steps. With jacketed or plated, doing both in the same step seems to work fine with the hornady dies............ but nevermind. lol
    Good luck with everything. I've had great success with my LNL

7. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Aug 18, 2011
    What scale do you have? If you don't have one, I would highly suggest a Dillon beam scale. I really like mine, super easy to setup and use.

8. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Good to hear you like your LnL. I am sure I will have no issues as I made my Lee work for me nicely. Again, I am interested in the bullet feeder mostly, but I expect LnL to be a better quality tool altogether. As for seating/crimping I always tend to separate the two :smile:I mostly shoot lead with my .357/.38spl.

9. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Did you remember to order all the extra bits you need to get up and running? Shellplates for the LNL and Casefeeder and extra bushings. Extra case retainer springs are nice to have just in case and they're inexpensive. Also, give Hornady a call and ask them to send you some shims so if your powder measure bushing turns like most peoples you can take care of it.

10. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  11. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks buyobuyo. Shellplates, Feeder, Feeder plates, Bushings are all ordered, but I never knew about shims. Will give them a call. Perhaps will also ask to add HDY oneshot cleaner/dry lube.

12. Rod38um

Oct 5, 2011
    That is a MUST during set up!

13. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

Nov 27, 2011
    Hornady one shot lube is good, no doubt, but for the powder cylinder, measuring stems and powder holder I used alcohol, as I wanted absolutely no reside on the inside. My powder measure bushing is tight – I think the early LnL’s had the bushing problem.

I used the one shot for plate cleanup etc but breakfree probably would have been just as good.

Case retainer springs – after getting the press just call Hornady and advise you kinked your original spring and they’ll send you a pack free. You’ll notice where the case feeds into the unit the spring will angle down into a groove – I filed that part down a little and polished it up, as that’s the only place I can see where you might kink a spring.

I’d suggest when you get the unit take the primer feed apart (10 seconds) and polish the underside of the sliding bar and the primer hole. Mine looked perfect but I did it anyway just for peace of mind – takes 2 minutes.

When putting the powder measure together – the upper assembly “hook” fits into the locking bolt on the lower assembly – make sure you install that correctly or else it will come off in a couple weeks and you may load up a few rounds having no powder before you notice the powder cylinder isn’t moving.

14. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks guys for the tips. I sure will do those little things to make the life easier :smile: I am just off the phone with Hornady. They seem to acknowledge the issue with the powder measure bushings as the rep told me that shims might be not a bad idea. I have them on the way. Will consider calling them and asking for the spring, if this is a failure spot.
    Good news for me is that the rep confirmed the feeder should be able to feed .50gi cases no prob :smile:

15. Rod38um

Oct 5, 2011
    When I ordered mine, people told me to order extra springs cause I would need them. It sounded reasonable....... Over 40,000 rounds later and I'm still on the original spring but hey, ya never know, it may break tomorrow!
    The extra pack was only a couple bucks, its worth the peace of mind.

16. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    And what did break, if any, may I ask?

17. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Hey Rod, just wanted to thank you for your youtube vids on LnL. Useful for a HDY starter :smile:

18. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    I have a question for you guys, please read this grainfed's quote from another thread
    What is this HDY "tent thingee" called? Do you guys use it too?

19. buyobuyo

buyobuyo Member

Aug 25, 2011
    It is called a powder baffle. They come with the LNL. I use mine. It controls the amount of powder that is directly over the powder measure cavity and makes it so that the throw weight doesn't change with the amount of powder in the measure.

20. Rod38um

Oct 5, 2011
    You're welcome.

Really nothing has broken. Any issues, and I really wouldnt classify them as "issues" I talked about in the video. Things like that are going to happen with any machine you buy. They all need maintained, stuff checked for tightness on occasion, tweeked or adjusted, etc. etc..... If I had to do it over again, I'd still buy the same machine.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted