Large Pistol Primer brand choice for .45acp loads......

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Dub, Sep 13, 2020.

Tags:

First choice brand of large pistol primers for .45acp range & home defense loads

1. Winchester

2. Federal

3. CCI

4. Remington

5. other.....please explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    I started using federal because my cowboy guns/Colts
    had action jobs done by the Arizona Thumber..
    My loads with Winchester primers would not go off so I switched to Federal ..
    The Thumber also advised Federal when I called him..No problems after I switched...
    All other pistol loads I will use Winchester. They feed better in my Dillon..

Dub likes this.
  2. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Winchester because they were recommended when I started, CCI because I could get em.

wrmiller and Dub like this.

3. Heavyopp

Heavyopp Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Curious as to what progressive press you where using back in the 70’s

4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Me too. I can't think of any non-commercial, non-shotgun ones other than a Hollywood.

5. Steve B

Steve B Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2011
    I've used all brands, but have settled on Winchester. Winchester consistently ignites really light charges of fast burning powder all the way to heavy loads. Federal primed loads always seem to spit out ash and CCI chrono numbers weren't as consistent. Plus I used Winchester in heavy 44 Mag loads with great results. Just my experience.

Dub likes this.
  6. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Remington & Federal primers are not used much by this crowd.

7. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I use them, they function just fine in my Dillon 550 and in the ammo I make and in the pistols/rifles I have. I attribute the 2 failures with Remington LPP to the fact that it was in the very first batch of ammo I made in 2014. Noob primer seating issue. Since 2014, TulAmmo, Wolf, CCI, Remington, S&B, Fiocchi, Winchester and Federal have all worked fine in my press and my pistols/rifles

wrmiller, FWoo45 and Dub like this.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    I was going to say I have used the Rem LG rifle & Federal 210M in both M2 ball & Match 7.62-51mm. Not a single misfire from the Federal Match 210M & 2 from the Remington out of thousands.
    CCI has been a favorite of mine for pistol, not so much for Match Rifle rounds.

9. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Federal is always my first choice

10. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    I just used my last box of 1000 TulAmmo large pistol primers. Looking in the stash, gonna go with the Remingtons next.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted