Larry Vickers Course

Discussion in 'Training' started by Slapshot, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 6, 2017
    Looking into a 2 day Larry Vickers Advanced Handgun course this summer. Anybody ever do it? Thoughts?

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. jimmy james

jimmy james 1911 Fiend Supporting Addict

Aug 29, 2017
    Check Carolina Firearms Forum. I think there some guys there that have done his course and were trying to drum up interest for another one. I shot with Larry back in the day at Trigger Time in Carthage, NC and other ranges. He knows his s#it and he's been there and done that and got the scars to prove. But me personally, I'd rather spend the money for the class on another gun. I'm crazy that way. Good luck either way.

Longmire and Mike Meints like this.

3. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Planning on doing the class with my oldest son. Kind of a father son bonding weekend as well as getting both of us some additional training. New guns are fun but quality time with my kids is priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Greg6640, ronin11, jw perry and 2 others like this.
  4. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I took a 2 day course with Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn last month. Here is a great write up of the class. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

https://www.carolinafirearmsforum.c...n-larry-vickers-advanced-handgun.17136/page-5

It was intense. It was not intensive in terms of round count it was intensive in the amount of information you were being present, absorbing and then putting into action. The skill drills that they demonstrates and run you through are excellent to measure where you are and where you need to be. Every single one can be done by you on your own to improve your skills.

One thing I will point out. This is not competition oriented class. It is not about shaving time off your splits. It is not about running gun games. They trying to teach real world skills that can help you prepare you to be able to survive a gunfight. They are not anit-gun games but they are quick to point out where the habits you develop from running gun games can get you killed in the "real world". Ken Hackathorn said it a thousand times in during the class "You are what you train" so "Don't train stupid ****". He and Larry Vickers will be the first to tell you some of the way people train to "game" the games is stupid ****.

I loved the class and think it was worth every penny I paid. In my class there was an entire family. Father mother and 2 sons. I recommend it for you and your son. At the end of the class. Ken Hackathorn who was the lead instructor for the second day shook each students hand. He commented on what he had seen from each student and what they needed to work on. Each comment was different. Each one tailored to the student he was addressing. It is my understanding that Vickers solo class runs very much along the same lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a great class.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Fred_G, Greg6640, ronin11 and 14 others like this.
  5. cwoods

cwoods Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

May 12, 2016
    Would love to do a class with Ken and Clint before they "retire."

1L26, Gary1911A1, Longmire and 3 others like this.
  6. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I was going to sign up when it was just Vickers once I it was announced that Ken was going to be there I push that button. Training with a living legend was humbling. Having him tell you that you had shot well over the weekend was reassuring to say the least.

Mike Meints, Longmire, cwoods and 3 others like this.
  7. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Thanks @WVsig you sold me. Signing up tomorrow. Not sure I want to be in the front line of pic #2 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Longmire and cwoods like this.
  8. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Yeah bit of a pucker moment but you have to get outside your comfort zone .... there was a good amount of distance between shooters.

azpoolguy, cwoods and Longmire like this.
  9. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    [​IMG]

Since there was a comment about this pic let me explain what is happening in this pic. 8 people lined up at the at 4 yard lined and and 8 at 7 yard line. On Ken's “UP” command the 8 shooters at the 4 yard line shot 4-6 shot strings while moving backward. Those at the 8 yard line did the same while moving forward. You then stopped and reloaded “in your workspace, minding the HELL out of your muzzle” then reversed on the next "UP" command. WE had just worked on shooting on the move so this was a drill which took it to the next level.

For me personally this was the first time I had ever shot a pistol with someone in front of me or behind me also shooting a pistol. It was unnerving to say the least but when you looked at the targets you could see that everyone was dialed in. Some of the tightest groups of the day. It is not something I would want to do often but the point of the drill drove home a very important part of the training concepts we were taught. It is more an illusion of risk than actual risk IMHO or I would not have done it.

10. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    WTF!!
    69984157-B6A9-41AE-82F4-34B48E38FA7D.jpeg

That’s a deal breaker for me. I’m done with the class at this point. Even with space between shooters you are still down range of the guy next to you. Accidents happen even when guys are being safe and “minding the hell” out of their muzzles.

Uncle Bob, Slapshot and jw perry like this.
  11. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I can totally understand that. I also if you did not want to participate in that drill you did not have to. In my course no one opted out but I believe that KH stated in other classes people have.

Billy Rao likes this.
  12. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    There was a very similar scenario at a Tactical Reaponse Class a few years ago. Same drill but the guy in the back line was in a wheel chair and was being pushed up to the line by another instructor after his chair got stuck in the gravel and he could not roll and shoot at the same time on his own. Every one just chalked it up to Yeager being a “crazy” instructor or being a “gun fighter”.

When Swat Team Members, Navy Seals and other highly trained shooters have training accidents being “down range” of another guys muzzle. I’m not willing to do it with a guy that just got his CCW and learned how “shoot and move”.

Greg6640 likes this.
  13. Billy Rao

Billy Rao Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 4, 2018
    Did anyone catch the drill the Russians perform with LV commenting?

14. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    In all honesty when I commented on the picture I figured it was a dry fire exercise or an optical illusion. Not for one minute did I think it was actually a live fire exercise. :interesting:
    I hope this was a more advanced class then the one I plan on taking with my son. Call me a pu$$y but I'm noping the eff out of that one and so is my son. There's no way in hell I'm going home and trying to explain to mom how Jr. took one in the back because Mr. Mall Ninja jerked the trigger.

15. azpoolguy

Jul 4, 2013
    And you should opt out. There are some trainers that are taking a lot of heat for drills like this. Others not so much because of their “status” or old school respect. But I would opt out and there is no need to have shooters in front onthe muzzle of the guy next to them no matter the distance between them.

Slapshot and WVsig like this.
  16. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Just from a business standpoint this surprises me for both liability and an insurance reasons.

FWoo45 likes this.
  17. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    I understand that. I am not 100% sure LAV does this in his solo class. You might consider asking him. I am sure you can opt out if he does. No shame in that. As far as liability the range and the trainers are have you sign a waiver of liability.

I completely understand the hesitation to participating in this drill. It violates a lot of the range protocols we have had ingrained in us for our safety and the safety of others. I am not advocating or condoning that part of the training. I am simply explaining what was happening in the photo which I posted. I will also clarify again that the angle at which the photo was taken does not properly show the distance between the shooters. That said I purposefully choose who I was between when I shot this drill.

18. WVsig

WVsig Active Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Yup I have seen that video. I think that is a completely different scenario then what was done in the LAV KH class. I definitely would have opted out of that drill.

19. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    WVsig I appreciate the posts and by no means am I trying to shoot the messenger. I still have every intention of taking the course. IMHO it seems like an unnecessary risk to take for non-professional shooters. I can sort of see it for trained professional and even that would make me hesitate. I've been to too many ranges and a CCW class where there are a lot of people I don't want behind me with a loaded firearm.

WVsig, Billy Rao and azpoolguy like this.
  20. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Crazy! There's not enough vodka in Russia to get me to participate in that drill.

Billy Rao likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted