1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

with range ammo nearly impossible to get these days, was just wondering if anyone uses a laser trainer with their WC 1911. I have a Tactical Carry and am thinking of getting one just to keep in form.

if you have one, would appreciate your insights. Thanks

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Bought one back about 2015 or so. Not bad although I mainly shoot for groups. I can get a little over 25 yards shooting down the hallway and across the living room. I have the 45ACP Laser "bullet" but have been thinking about buying one in 9mm also. With these you will be keeping battery companies in bizz. I use a LASER pointer to reset the target by the way as opposed to shooting the reset.

Also I have found if the group is really small you still just turn on one or two lights as opposed to a paper or steel target where you might see how many bullets went into a small group.

A for example is a 6 round group from my 2006 XSE LW Commander just after I bought it at 15 yards. After a clean and lube I just wanted to see where it was going to hit before I adjusted the rear sight. With the LASER target one might just turn on a couple lights with a group that small.

·
Premium Member
26,189 Posts
I have a smaller LaserLyte that I use in the house. I did it better than simply dry firing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting....I have wondered how popular these are. I was working on a design and researching patents for a laser trainer "bullet and target", and watching Laser Lyte's website before they were ever announced because I figured if anyone would come out with one, it would be them. I got the design done, and as I was about to plunk down $ for a real patent search they announced that they were about to release this new product. A day late....I bailed on it, figuring they already have distribution and production ramping up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the laser lyte with the smaller Rumble Box targets. I think its a great indoor training tool. I have one in 45 & 9mm. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have one of the laser bullets and use a (free) phone app that uses the camera to score hits against a target taped to the wall. Actually I need to get it out, it's been awhile.

My only concern with this is the o-rings that keep the laser positioned in the chamber tend to roll over sometimes when chambering, so I am not totally convinced POI = POI. I go more for consistency / small groups than bullseye hits. In that regard it seems like valuable free practice.

·
Premium Member
26,189 Posts
I have one of the laser bullets and use a (free) phone app that uses the camera to score hits against a target taped to the wall. Actually I need to get it out, it's been awhile.

My only concern with this is the o-rings that keep the laser positioned in the chamber tend to roll over sometimes when chambering, so I am not totally convinced POI = POI. I go more for consistency / small groups than bullseye hits. In that regard it seems like valuable free practice.
The LaserLyte system I have works well. Lightly oil the o-ring, if you don’t , it will roll and get cut

1 - 8 of 8 Posts