1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, don’t see them much, but it seems like this would solve my problem, easy to use, no problem with astigmatism, what am i missing, i assume something, since nobody seems to use them, maybe aesthetics, thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Just a thought, don’t see them much, but it seems like this would solve my problem, easy to use, no problem with astigmatism, what am i missing, i assume something, since nobody seems to use them, maybe aesthetics, thoughts?
If you build a good skill set, they're not needed and I can say that after shooting a bunch of low light, no light and strobe light "matches" even though they weren't really matches. Even for tactical training, never saw the need.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I guess I'm a nobody because I wouldn't carry a gun without one.
There is no downside to having one.

I can drive at night without headlights, but don't see the need to. If you can build a skill set that lets you hit a coffee cup at 20 feet WITHOUT looking at your gun...not just the sights or muzzle, but the entire gun...then you don't need one.

I'll challenge anyone to a match who would like to shoot from concealment WITHOUT looking at their gun...maybe using weak hand, gun at waste level, under a table, around a barrier, etc., etc.

Where the dot goes, the bullet goes.

With a momentary switch, he'll never see the dot or hear what comes next.

Reactions: Notred and Glockexe

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts

I can drive at night without headlights, but don't see the need to. If you can build a skill set that lets you hit a coffee cup at 20 feet WITHOUT looking at your gun...not just the sights or muzzle, but the entire gun...then you don't need one
You build the right skill set, you're just as fast using sights as you are pointing a flashy thing

We've shoot an incredible bunch of scenarios over the years. It happens when you shoot with API instructors looking for challenges and or solutions.

And yes there is a way to shoot without sights close in. It's called the speed rock. Set up a dummy with a reaction head and have to place rounds in a circle in the target.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Crimson Trace 206 Green. Works well and it is small. I can easily see my green dot on bright days at 15 yds. I don't rely on just the laser, but it is a great set up. Love them on my rifles, I set my green laser dot just under my red dot optic. Draws your eyes very quickly.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Had a laser, but every time I went to the range, my fundamentals took over and I shot. I forgot that there was a laser pointing at my target and the bullet went where I aim so I took it off. Putting a light on my gun is a no Brainer but good mechanics trump my laser needs. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have lasers on most of mine, not on CCW tho. I have a Steiner on my 308 pistol. The only thing faster on target for me is an Eotech. You need to see my wife shooting a 223 from the waist with a laser💥. I cannot get her to shoulder it🙄

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts

I can drive at night without headlights, but don't see the need to. If you can build a skill set that lets you hit a coffee cup at 20 feet WITHOUT looking at your gun...not just the sights or muzzle, but the entire gun...then you don't need one.

I'll challenge anyone to a match who would like to shoot from concealment WITHOUT looking at their gun...maybe using weak hand, gun at waste level, under a table, around a barrier, etc., etc.

Where the dot goes, the bullet goes.

With a momentary switch, he'll never see the dot or hear what comes next.
There's a thing called slide shooting in no light low light situations. If you build the right skill set the pistol comes into battery the same way. That way you know where the pistol is lined up. We've done it, it just takes work, apparently more than some people want to invest.

No cat toys on mine and I have shot it low or no light.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There's a thing called slide shooting in no light low light situations. If you build the right skill set the pistol comes into battery the same way. That way you know where the pistol is lined up. We've done it, it just takes work, apparently more than some people want to invest.

No cat toys on mine and I have shot it low or no light.
I praise your skills and experience. These things many of us do not have, also it depends what firearm you bring to the party. My wife is a good shot but for a home defense situation and only 1 years experience a laser points exactly where it hits, light or no light. This does not mean skills with regular sights are ignored.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm all for whatever helps you shoot. Personally, I'd rather go RDS than laser if I didn't want to use traditional sights. I like the co-witness of the RDS much better than using a laser.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I have a laser on one of my ARs and on my MPX. I think they are useful and fun at the range. It seems just like everything else everyone has an opinion. They certainly are cheap enough and easy enough to use and operate that everyone should at least give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts