LAV 1911 Guide

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by titus66, Jan 23, 2017.

1. titus66

titus66 Active Member

Feb 2, 2016
    I see he is releasing another run on this...for those of you who bought them the first time, was it worth the money? Is it a must-have, or just something to buy if you have $95 burning a hole in your pocket? It's a lot of money for a book...so, I wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks.

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    Sounds like a money grab to me. Besides, he's a polymer gun spokesman now i thought?

In all honesty, I think that its way overpriced for a book that IMO isn't throwing anything that probably couldn't be sourced from the internet. But to each their own.

3. JH225

JH225 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    He'd sell a LAV labeled bottle of water for $100 if he thought people would buy it.

Kip, Sterling Archer and ChuckC like this.
  4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Wouldn't you?

5. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    The way I see it. ^^^^^

He did his time in the military. He now uses his knowledge of weapons to make money. Some may not like that he endorses one brand for a while then another. Others may not like his personality or choice of words when making videos.

Personally, I have no problem with the guy or how he does things. As far as I know he is pro 2A, and pro gun rights for people other than law enforcement and military. His videos are usually very good. Especially for people who like to see exotic, unique, or rare guns. "Moon rocks" as they are referred to.

I own the AR book and it is very nicely done. Worth the price of admission? That's for you to decide. Yes. You can find most of the info on the Internet. Though some, like me, enjoy having an old school method of reading about or looking at things.

6. Ranger325

Ranger325 New Member

Sep 1, 2015
    in answer to the OPs question about the book - not the author - I picked up one of the blems of the first run. It is a good book and I'm very glad I have it. It is a high quality book with great pics and info about some very interesting, rare and historical 1911's. Can't say it's a must have for you, but I'm happy to have it in my library. FWIW

7. titus66

titus66 Active Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks for the input. I've learned so much about the 1911 on this forum, and others, so I think I'll just keep my money.

8. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    I'm not a fan of Vickers. I've always just seen him as a guy trying market his former military career for whatever he can squeeze out of it. He endorses tons of products and talks a lot but I've never learned anything from him. That's my biggest issue with him. Even as much as I dislike Travis Haley, for example, I still learn bits here and there.

There are more pictures and knowledge on this forum alone than can fit in that book and it's free! Or $25/year if you can support the place. I'll take 4 years of Addicts over 1 book.

Kip and limbkiller like this.
  9. Raylan Givens

Aug 18, 2015
    I'll give you the part about the forum.

Question though. If you can retire from whatever your current profession is then go out and make tons of money by talking about it, would you do it?

We have people who do the same thing LAV is doing, and many others, who are straight up clowns. Sports figures in my opinion are overpaid and put on a pedestal when we have military veterans committing suicide and living under bridges. Yes. They have the same opportunity everyone else has. But if our society is going to prop up a group of people it shouldn't be a pop singer or a basketball player. It should be the people who risk their lives to protect our freedoms.

My point is that who cares if he markets his former career. As long as he isn't committing treason let him be. Or any other guy who served. I would rather see our former military, law enforcement, and similar become popular and make money than some scum bag NFL player that beats his girlfriend's ass and does drugs for fun.

Kip, WC145 and GeorgiaRedfish like this.
  10. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I wish I could get his gig. I mean I've never seen him endorse crappy products

11. Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer Codename Duchess Supporting Addict

Aug 30, 2015
    Easy there, tiger. ;) You seem to be under the impression I don't like him pimping his former career. Not the case, I don't care what he does. I just look at him as the Billy Mays of the gun world.

12. Raylan Givens

Aug 18, 2015
    I'm easy like Sunday morning. Enjoy your Monday night.

Kip likes this.
  13. Sapper

Sapper Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 25, 2014
    Having met and shot with Larry I would tell you that he is a very down to earth guy that lives to make other shooters better. The books are great in my opinion since he has access to guns that I never will, I am glad to look at them and see what is going on out there as well as the historical items.

Raylan Givens likes this.
  14. Yamil R. Sued

Yamil R. Sued The guy with the Camera

Feb 19, 2016
    Like most of us in the Shooting Industry, Larry IS an acquired taste. I met him at SHOT and he was very kind to me.

I like Coffee Table Books, and this is what this is, something pretty to look at.

I'm getting the AR book too, but I like books!!

15. jakebrake

jakebrake middle aged white guy

Mar 27, 2013
  16. JH225

JH225 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    :laugh:

That's probably the best description I have heard. I'm sure he is a decent guy, but he sure is hard on the ears.

17. Yamil R. Sued

Feb 19, 2016
    He was so nice to me at SHOT, He's just misunderstood ;)

18. JH225

JH225 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Yeah, but he was sucking up to you so you can do pics and review of his latest greatest product and/or LAV branded chewing gum.:D

19. Yamil R. Sued

Feb 19, 2016
    LOL, actually, I asked him to join me on a Video!!
    I'm reviewing the Wilson Combat Vickers 9mm pistol, so...

20. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I have the first book. Very well done. but I also had a pistol built by Larry, so there's that....

I love the book. It may not appeal to those that only know modern iterations of a custom 1911, but that's not the point. The book is about pistols special to HIM.

Larry has never put his name on a **** product, and he truly does care about making people better shooters.

Greg45acp likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted