1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,990 Posts
There is no mag well that will drop in to any Les BAER aside from maybe an older Smith and Alexander. All of them need modified on the back of the mainspring housing in order to fit between the wall of the mag chute And the mainspring housing track. As far as fitting the length of the legs to the front of the grip Frame either a stan Chen SI or a Smith and Alexander will fit they're the best. However since most If not all LB guns have 30,000 checkering the only thing that will match there is a custom checkered one from a blank or a Wilson combat

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s difficult to grasp the thought of a CCO with a magwell. Kind of defeats the whole concept.
But I guess, different strokes...

Welcome aboard from east Missouri!
I agree! The majority of my 1911s are full sized, I've been toying with the idea of buying a commander size 1911, however I have a perfectly good Stinger sitting right here. So I thought I would add a magwell to give me a slightly longer grip and therefore push back my desire to get a Commander. I am also leaning towards getting an Alchemy weapon and their lead time is 4-6 months so . . .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is no mag well that will drop in to any Les BAER aside from maybe an older Smith and Alexander. All of them need modified on the back of the mainspring housing in order to fit between the wall of the mag chute And the mainspring housing track. As far as fitting the length of the legs to the front of the grip Frame either a stan Chen SI or a Smith and Alexander will fit they're the best. However since most If not all LB guns have 30,000 checkering the only thing that will match there is a custom checkered one from a blank or a Wilson combat
I was hoping to get the one piece mainspring housing magwell. The MSH on a full size is about 2 1/4 in and the Stinger has a 1 5/8 in MSH. Are there MSH/magwell combos that would fit?

·
Get off my lawn...
15,075 Posts
Have you spoke to Brenda or Les? Maybe it’s something the good folks at Les Baer can install for you.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,524 Posts
I spent a good 30 minutes talking guns and cars at Shot Show with Las, he could have not been nicer, give him a call.

IMG_20200123_092437_929.jpg

·
Get off my lawn...
15,075 Posts
Have you spoke to Brenda or Les? Maybe it’s something the good folks at Les Baer can install for you.
I haven't yet. I thought I would turn to the experts first! But that might be my next move.
I’d check with Les - he’s the expert. I consider us, more as enablers. :)

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I spent a good 30 minutes talking guns and cars at Shot Show with Las, he could have not been nicer, give him a call.

View attachment 407141
That’s weird. I’m surprised they let you into shot show without being dressed in head to toe multi cam and sporting a backpack covered in molle or a bowling shirt covered in all your sponsors logos. ;)

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
527 Posts
I put a S&A magwell on my stinger. I had to remove a lot of material from the part, it was a chore. I was careful not to remove any material from the frame so I could put the original ms back but I like it so much, I’ve left the magwell on the pistol full time. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.
DSCF2304.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put a S&A magwell on my stinger. I had to remove a lot of material from the part, it was a chore. I was careful not to remove any material from the frame so I could put the original ms back but I like it so much, I’ve left the magwell on the pistol full time. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out.
View attachment 407399
That looks great! Thank you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No problem, enjoy that stinger!
OK just ordered one from S&A, but all of my files are just regular metal files with cutting edges on all four sides. I believe that I should use a file with safe edges? Do you have a recommendation?

·
“Careful man, there’s a beverage here!” — The Dude
527 Posts
I believe I took material off the face as well. The majority of the removal can be done with the files you have on hand. I've removed cutting surface from files with a grinder and it worked out fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts