Tags:
  1. Don Locke

Don Locke Active Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Been running google searches for best turret press,I can tell you one thing,GOOGLE LOVES LEE PRESSES,google top 4 Lee is 3 out of top 4,top 5 Lee gets 4 ,Lee is spending some dough on product indenty,funny

2. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Very funny, just so you know Lee ain't the best.

3. Don Locke

Don Locke Active Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Google thinks they are.

4. mtodd

mtodd 1911 lover Supporting Addict

Oct 8, 2012
    20+ years ago I started reloading on a Lee 3 hole. I have since moved on to bigger and better presses. For the cost and to get your feet wet go for it. Use it to find out what you like and don't like and move on if you want. Dad who is now in his 70's still uses it for his reloading. Changing calibers is a breeze....

gps man likes this.
  5. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I use a Lee Classic Cast Iron press (casting made in the USA) for my revolver cartridges and 6.5 Creedmoor. This particular model is made very well and I get excellent uniformity in cartridge processing using Lee dies. For 6.5 I use Forster and Sinclair dies with the Lee press. With the Forster micrometer bullet seating die I am getting .001 or better resolution (.0005) in bullet seating measured to the ogive. For all the auto cartridges and .223 the Dillon 550 is used exclusively.
    20180922_075357.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Mike Meints, Capthobo and gps man like this.
  6. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    My son bought me a Lee classic cast iron press for Christmas two years ago. I have yet to learn how to reload although it is something I want to do. I’m just worried I’ll get carried away like everything else I do :o.o:

7. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I have nothing but time and in no rush or hurry to speed load with automatic units. I’ve always enjoyed my sturdy old reliable Lyman Spar T single stage. It will hold up to six dies on the turret.
    8F2C9F05-C98D-432B-98B6-FB9C6ABE3736.jpeg

gps man and mikegalway like this.
  8. Mike0251

Mike0251 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 25, 2016
    I love reloading! It's a great hobby that yields self satisfaction, accuracy, and cost savings too. I'm working real hard on the 6.5 development, great challenge. Hornady factory yields me .375 moa at 100 yards. Trying to get that or better! It's a great country that we can do this sort of stuff!

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  9. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    I will defiantly say lee is not the best but it is what I started with so many years ago. Lee Pro 1000 a shooting buddy owned and he taught me. Quirkie and you need to stay right on top of them or they will get you in time. back then on a good afternoon one could load 400-500 round.

When i went shopping for my own press I bought what I knew....Lee Pro 1000.

Karsten

10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Google says its good....wow.../ must be true.. :cigar::cigar:

I'm reminded of a number of casual restaurant reviews in my area ...where Google said they were good...( after lunch...I realized I would have been better off with a can of catfood...)....although the cat food was more expensive... !!

There is something about "cheap" that seems to run in the "high tech" community. They all make a lot of money ...but they all want to find the cheapest thing out there...( and I have 2 sons in the business...one is a manager at Google ..one a senior manager at Microsoft )... ???

I can't endorse any of the Lee products...sorry man...

11. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I like the Lee powder scoops.

mikegalway likes this.
  12. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I leave one of these set up for 45 acp .

Capthobo likes this.
  13. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    +1

14. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Do it! It adds another satisfying dimension to your shooting.

15. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I started with an antique Lyman All American and it still works just fine. I don't know how old it is but would guess 50 plus.

16. Don Locke

Don Locke Active Member

Aug 24, 2018
    Well think I've made up my mind,Lee Classic turret press,heard good and bad on Lee which tells me it ain't all bad,they say it's best for pistol loading and with my one 45 I'll have more ammo than I can shoot,just a matter now of finding the right place to buy,thanks guys fir all your input,really a big help.

17. DMiller

DMiller Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Don Locke likes this.
  18. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013

Don, check out Midway USA for a Lee Pro 1000....It will come with the dies, primer feeder, case feeder and powder drop. Mount it to a good solid table, mark the outline and remove it.......Drill about a 1 inch hole under the press base then remount it.....5 gallon bucket under the hole to catch decapped primers and toss trashed brass.

Then there is a matter of the loaded case deflector or what ever it is called.......Getting bent. Rather that a spendy replacement from Lee buy a 100 Steel Brads/Steel Nails. Pick up a couple extra primer trays......When you are on a roll no reason to stop to flip primers.

Watch every case and learn the up and down feel....In time you will know what id right and Oh, that was off.....Just did feel right.

After a few sessions you will have the feel of things, the quirks of that primer didn't seat or this wasn't right.

If using Lead Swaged bullets clean the wax out of the seating/crimping die....check the often as wax builds and play hell with OAL Bullet Length seating the bullets deeper.

Watch Ebay for an older machine with the round wooden ball handle....Feed back is awesome as far as what is going on with the press.

Just take your time.....Miss a primer and drop powder a time or two and you will be breaking it all down to clean it. I am sure you will learn this after you get started re loading.

Also ball or flat powder feed a little better than stuff that looks like chopped up Pencil Lead....Cylindrical maybe but that is rifle powder as I recall.

Not the greatest press but for the money it works just fine for me.

19. mtodd

mtodd 1911 lover Supporting Addict

Oct 8, 2012
  20. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I cut my teeth on a Lee turret press in the late 80’s, loading lead range fodder. It was all I could afford at the time (student debt) but never let me down. I ran it as a single stage initially while I was learning, but once I had my settings dialed in I let it spin. I was loading .380 and 38SPL, so had a turret set up for each.

My only complaint was, on the model I had, that you had to place each primer individually into position before the priming stroke. I found it more efficient and more consistent to prime the cases with a hand primer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted