1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Livin Large
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of finishing up an AR build. This one has a left hand side charging receiver that I purchased from Bear Creek Arsenal. The receiver and bolt carrier are great "EXCEPT".

You cannot disassemble the bolt out of the BCG. The bolt cam pin will not clear the gas key for removal. Most all gas keys have a relieved or cut bevel on the underside of the gas key to accommodate this. . Mine also has this standard cut on the left side which allows the removal of a bolt cam pin on a RH BCG. Mine has no such relief cut on the right side necessary to remove the cam pin from my LH BCG.

I sent this back to BCA and they promptly returned a NEW BCG with the exact same issue.
On contacting Bear Creek they said "oh yeah" to remove the bolt cam pin on a LH BCG you would have to remove the gas key. NO SMALL TASK. Staked in. Gun smith type work.

My question. Does any one have a LH carrier and BCG from another supplier that allows the bolt to be removed from the carrier? Is my issue typical industry wide or just an oversight with BCA's design of their unit?

Photo A showing the relief cut on the bottom of the gas key tube that allows the bolt cam pin to be removed from a RH unit:

Photo B that shows NO relief cut that is necessary to remove the bolt cam pin on the LH
bolt carrier group.

·
813 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but are you removing the firing pin before trying to rotate/ remove the cam pin?

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
OP is talking about the relief cut on the gas key, part #3, it needs to be on the other side of the gas key to work for a southpaw

1 - 7 of 7 Posts