Left-handed operation of 1911 (w/o ambi safety)

Discussion in 'Training' started by TSiWRX, Dec 31, 2011.

1. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Hi Everyone,

In my quest for a 1911, I've been trying to gather up as much knowledge as possible, and this one recently came up in another Forum:

From what I've learned, in no particular order, she could:

(1) Carry in "Condition 2," round chambered, hammer down. Cock hammer with left thumb.

(2) Use left index finger to actuate the single-side thumb safety.

(3) Use a three-finger draw technique where the left thumb rides on the left side of the grip and works the safety, crossing the thumb over to the right side to assume a full shooting grip (although the gun should be able to be shot without the thumb coming to that position) - note that this is the same as how some schools teach you to manipulate a single (left) side-only safety on an AR.

Can you guys and gals here please discuss some pros and cons of each - as well as bring up things that I may have missed?

Yes, I know, she could install an ambi safety. I'd like the discussion for my sake, as I'm right-handed and will likely end up with a 1911 that has only "righty controls" on the left side of its frame. Nevertheless, I want to make sure that I'm competent in ambi operation, though.

2. Quack

Quack it's mmm, mmm good... Staff Member Admin

Aug 15, 2011
    ^^^^^

3. Cerebrus

Cerebrus Push to test, release to detonate

Aug 17, 2011
    I am left handed, and I cannot stand ambi safeties.. I can disengage the safety with my left thumb, and I engage it with my second knuckle on my left index finger.. It just takes a bit of practice is all..

4. flea

flea Member

Dec 30, 2011
    I agree with both Quack and Cerebrus. First, it's just to dang dangerous carrying in Condition II. Cocked and locked is the only way meant to carry a 1911. You, can train yourself to use your left thumb to disengage the safety and a knuckle or thumb to engage it. It will take practice and plenty of muscle memory.

5. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Thanks, guys! :smile:

6. 50GI-Jess

50GI-Jess Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Well, if you don't have a left hand holster, then I assume you draw with your right hand, and transfer the gun to the left!

If so, then most competitive shooters, flip the thumb safety off with their right hand thumb, just prior to make the transfer to the left hand. Finger outside the trigger guard throughout this procedure. The gun is actually in front of your left, at the time the safety is flipped off. So at no point will sweeping take place for safety reasons.

7. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    ^ That's a good point, Jess, and I apologize for not having clarified -

I think that for the OP of the thread that I'd copied, Mustang380gal, this is a temporary issue, due to her injury - and that she would either seek a dedicated lefty holster or, alternatively, need to execute a left-handed draw from, say, a purse-holster, and will not be relying on her injured right hand.

For myself, the question is based on the "academics" of left-handed-only operations.

8. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2011
    mmmmm......reckon I'd just bust out one of my southpaw .45's....:thumb:

9. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA member Supporting Addict

Dec 24, 2011
    Get a pistol specific LH holster for the stang. Manipulate safety with weak (RH) using "overhand" method. A little practice and proficiency will quickly follow.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted