Legal to do? 2 Part Question

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by FrankG, Mar 11, 2019.

1. FrankG

FrankG Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jun 24, 2018
    1:Would it be legal for a seller from State A, meet a buyer with an FFL from State B, within state A to transfer a handgun?

2: Or Legal for the seller to cross a state line to meet the FFL within the FFL's state to do a transfer?

2. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    I could be mistaken but thought it needs to be done in state of buyer, because crossing state lines.

Because of that I’d say probably not to both 1 & 2.

Babboonbobo and boatdoc like this.

3. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I agree...neither option is legal in my view.

4. FrankG

Jun 24, 2018
    I appreciate the insight and quick response...I may defer to the BATFE with a question..but I'm leaning to what you guys are saying...THANKS

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I would work out a friendly FFL in the state you want to do the deal, have the deal done there for a small fee. You know, dot the t's, cross the i's.. :)

boatdoc likes this.
  6. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I'm not in favor of contact BATFE.../...and getting caught up in their bureaucracy.

The buyer may be trying to avoid some transfer fees or sales tax or something...but I don't view testing that kind of stuff as a great idea...or worth the risk.

FWoo45 likes this.
  7. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    It's my understanding that the FFL from state B can meet buyer in state A and transfer handgun .

UBOATDOC and limbkiller like this.
  8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    Costs me around $25 to ship a handgun from my FFL to another FFL.

PhilaPop, boatdoc and UBOATDOC like this.
  9. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Why try and skirt the law when you can just ship and transfer in your home state. So have sellers FFL in state B ship to State A done deal all legal no worries.

Weiker, Babboonbobo, PhilaPop and 3 others like this.
  10. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    I (resident of TN) traveled to PA (home of my son). Sold my gun to him, completed paperwork with his FFL.

Mike Meints and mikegalway like this.
  11. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    Just for info, how are you shipping? Over $100 for FedUp, $60 or so 2 day with a FFL label for me.

Sorry, not trying to derail the thread.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  12. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Priority mail

13. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I called the ATF once with a question. I called back a few days later a got a different answer from a different person. Looking to confirm, I called a third time and got yet another answer.

Bro. Pappaw, FWoo45 and UBOATDOC like this.
  14. FrankG

Jun 24, 2018
    always looking for the legal way...no way looking to skirt the rules...and I do believe the potential buyer is looking to save some $$ on the deal...but if it ain't legal, it ain't happening...thanks all..

Babboonbobo likes this.
  15. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2018
    You can ship it to his address on his FFL, but I would require a receipt Incase he failed to put it in his acquisition book

16. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    This happens with every agency in our federal government.....except Thank God.....the military.....wanna know why? When there is authority and accountability, you are much more likely to get the right answer. At least in theory.

17. AZ Husker

AZ Husker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Oct 14, 2017
    FFL's can ship in a flat rate box via the post office.

Fred_G likes this.
  18. 01SVTvert

01SVTvert New Member

Feb 6, 2019
    A FFL can buy (acquire) firearms anywhere. So a FFL from anywhere can go to you and take your firearms. A FFL MUST transfer (dispose) to a person at their licensed place of business as shown on their FFL or at gun show. ATF is specific on this and defines gun shows in a specific way.

I am a Manufacturer FFL (07 FFL) with SOT (02) and have been for several years. I have also taught multiple classes on the legalities of applying for an FFL and the requirements when you have one.

19. FrankG

Jun 24, 2018
    Ok that clears up one point. ...here's the part I'm not clear on...can I drive across the state line to meet the FFL so he can acquire it?

20. 01SVTvert

01SVTvert New Member

Feb 6, 2019
    As long as you are not breaking any laws going to his state. For example, a Texan going to New Jersey with its specific licensing laws. If you are legal to go to the FFLs state with the firearm then you can go there to sell a firearm to a FFL. Across state line sales are forbidden when it is a person to person sale. Involve a FFL and it's fine.

The example posted above about going to a different state and going to the ffl where a resident of that state can then have it transferred to them is an excellent example of a legal transfer using a FFL as a conduit between people in different states.

Make sure the ffl will accept walk in acquisitions from an out of stater. Some want it simple and will require you to mail them. Makes it easier for them.

Also, get a receipt from them with the SN and date on it so you can prove it was transferred from your possession if it ever goes stolen or found due to a crime.

Hope this was clear enough. It's past my bedtime!

deadguy likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted