1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Nose to the grindstone
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought this used, early 2015 P229 Legion at a good, reasonable price. When i got it home and field stripped it It looked like it had never been cleaned and lots of wear marks. My question is does it look to you like it's been shot to hell and back, with several cases of ammo downrange and if so, is there anything I should do/replace to assure it's in top form for my ccw needs.
First pic is how dirty it was on initial breakdown. Is that grease or what?
Any help is appreciated.

20200119_164054.jpg
20200122_013026.jpg
20200122_013044.jpg
20200123_013053.jpg
20200123_013331.jpg
20200123_013219.jpg
20200123_013442.jpg
20200122_012738.jpg
20200123_013248.jpg

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Carbon - nature's original "dry lubricant" . . . .

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yeah, perhaps buy a recoil spring and take the gun to the range and see how it performs. Honestly, I doubt there has been cases of ammo run through it.

Mine looks like that...but cleaner...with about 750 rds through it. Then again, mine still feel stiff when I drop the mag and rack the slide to remove the loaded round.

I grease where the rail os the slide comes in contact with the frame with microgrease, and then apply a liberal coat of oil to the rest of the gun. I have also found that tears from a liberal also makes a great lube.

·
Banned
1,621 Posts
Barrel looks to me to have zero wear on it? I own several Sigs still and have owned many. Sig barrels traditionally get what we call ‘kisses’ on them which are circular half moons on top of the barrel. These come from being fired. And when that’s done the barrel unlocks and tilts up. The ‘kisses’ are impact marks on top of barrel from hitting the inside of slide hole upon firing. That barrel has none?
Inside the slide we can see the square mark from the barrel hood rubbing when it was fired. Is there comparable wear on top of barrel hood?

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,480 Posts
The barrel looks very good to me. Pictures of the slide and frame cleaned up would give better indication of wear. But I don’t find the pics you show alarming.

Guys, are you sure Sig recommends grease? I have older 226 that recommends oil. It was delivered with a small tube of oil to lube.
Not that it makes much difference.

Edit: sorry I just re read the thread and 1st picture is the only one of dirty gun. I think it looks lightly used from the other pics. I wouldn’t be concerned for a millisecond

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's been awhile since I've owned P series pistols but I had a P220 and a P229 both Extreme versions and they came with a tube of TW25B grease. I doubt it really matters as long as you're lubricating it somehow.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
No Sig smiles on the barrel. Change the springs, clean and line and enjoy for many many rounds! Great purchase

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have a P226 Legion, a P229 Deluxe, and a 320Rx. I bought all new and have put a few thousand rounds thru the Legion (obviously one of my favs). The 2nd pic you a show above isn't all that worn, mine is worse than this, and I clean & lube mine after every trip to the range, and it still is an extremely accurate gun (not as good as my NHCs, but a lot less money). My point here is that it doesn't look that worn, just very dirty. As everyone above says, give it a good cleaning, especially the barrel. Then when you think it clean, spray and a brush thru it again and patches until it's clean. Then spray the barrel a 3rd time w/ a brush and patches. Repeat this until you don't see dirty patches coming thru.

I also don't see scratches on the ramp, so my vote is for a filthy gun, not beyond repair. Once this is done, take it to the range and see how it performs. Another thing is to take it to your local shop and have them clean it, including an ultrasonic bath. If they don't have an ultra bath, take it someplace else that does have the bath. The bath will get it cleaner that you ever will.

The last thing I would do is replace ALL the springs throughout the gun. They need to be replaced every 5 - 10,000 rounds, and since you don't know, I would replace them just to be on the safe side. Sigs are very hearty guns, they can stand up to more than you would think. After all this, take it to the range and put 3 or 4 boxes thru it and see if you have any problems.

I'm a 1911 guy, but I still own 4 Sigs and they're pretty tough (IMHO). As I said, I've put 2-3,000 rounds thru it, and never had a burp. At the end I think you'll be pretty happy. BTW, what did you pay for the gun? Then we can tell you if you got a good deal or not.

Keep us posted...

·
Nose to the grindstone
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW, what did you pay for the gun? Then we can tell you if you got a good deal or not.
$800. The only reason the fella sold it was because he bought a WC.
Keep us posted...
Yes indeed. Went to the range before work and shot a quick box of 50. First was just one DA shot which put a smile on my face, then playing around with that short reset trigger put a big ole grin there. When my double tap empty cartridges were slinging out high and right not 6" apart from the first round and staying there til they hit the ground almost together (tink, tink...tink, tink) I was just plum giddy.
My first Sig was the p365, which was nice but too small. Then a P320 X-Compact, which was really nice and fit my hand perfect, but I finally faced the truth that I just don't care for plastic guns with plastic triggers. THIS,,, now this I like. I'm used to keeping my guns clean, so seeing this one like the first pic up there had me worried. I will for sure take all the advice and clean, clean, clean it better than just the initial run through I gave it and probably start changing out springs. Other than that I foresee no worries from me after all the help I've gotten here.
Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's great news, congrats. As far as price, that's not too bad. I just checked and I paid $1,250 for a new P226 Legion in the summer of 2016 and yours may be newer than mine. I thought they started w/ the P226 and worked thru to the P229 next, and I think I got mine rather early on, but not sure.

See if you can register your Legion w/ Sig, maybe their registration system will allow you to get it on, and if so you can get some great support. They have a dedicated Legion team for support, and any time I contacted them I got a response in a couple of hours, and they know their stuff. They charge a lot for the Legion, and support is one of the benefits. They'll even answer non-Legion questions, as long as they're Sig questions.

Glad to hear you're happy, the Legion is a great gun (IMHO). It's not quite a 1911 trigger, but damn close. The best non-1911 trigger I ever shot. Last nite I was at my dealer and they now have a P320-X Legion, very nice gun for around $950 or so, looked nice but I already have a P320 and there are others on my list, but that doesn't mean I won't get it one day. My next purchase is a Daniel Defense Delta5 bolt action, so the Sig may have to wait. Glad everything worked out and you're happy, Sig makes a very nice gun. Check YouTube, they have several videos on guys torture testing their Sigs, which I think you'll get a kick out of.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts