Lego Porsche

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scaramouche, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    I'm blessed with awesome children, yesterday I went down to the Lego store and bought a $300 Lego Porsche for my son. He's 21, goes to college and holds down a full time job and lately he's been working a string of six day weeks, 10 hours a day and still hitting his classes. This week he's got a few days off from school & work so I took the deep dive as a Dad to show him how much I appreciate his grit and sprang for one of his favorite hobbies...Lego car building.

Here's a 1200 piece Ferrari he built a while back.

P1010310.JPG

This Porsche kit is a full on car build; you build the engine, working crank shaft & pistons linked to working and shiftable transmission, drive shaft and differential. Steering linkage and suspension. This thing is an awesome piece of engineering. Is it for everybody? Is 1911's for everybody?

P1010303.JPG

P1010304.JPG
    The red Porsche labelled block on lower left is the 500 page instruction manual. 2700 pieces to corral up.

P1010308.JPG

Some guys like stuffing full sailed clipper ships into glass bottles, my boy likes building Lego cars he'll probably never own, but then again, he keep attacking work fearless like he does, you never know.

P1010305.JPG

I'll try and take progress pictures as he goes through the construction. Inside of box has an illustrated history of the 911, which is a nice touch, but $300 is still a lot of dough.

P1010306.JPG

P1010307.JPG

Before anyone jumps me for supporting a left wing anti gun anti American company please know I don't give a fig. I like having fun in this life and it gives me a great deal of pleasure making others happy. Life is quite hard edged and trying at times and we should treasure those moments we can grab to make it otherwise.

gaijin, BBP, UBOATDOC and 23 others like this.
  2. Ethank

Ethank Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I had no idea LEGO made such complex kits. That looks like he’ll have a blast putting it together. Great gift.

UBOATDOC, Mike Meints and Scaramouche like this.

3. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    Great gift Scar! Your recognition of your sons discipline and drive is awesome.

And...if you ever feel like you want to throw away $300 and give another Porsche set to a total underachiever, please PM me!

WHEELS, JonFrank and Scaramouche like this.
  4. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    where's the 1911 kit?

Mini Me, liljoe, danc1996 and 9 others like this.
  5. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Fantastic gift idea !
    I know he'll have fun assembling the kit and always remember your thoughtfulness. And , its really cool !

Scaramouche likes this.
  6. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    Dang! And I thought Legos were just for digging out of kid's throats and profanity while barefoot practice.
    Nice gift Mooch. And I'm sure will keep him entertained and engrossed for some time.

FWoo45, dtelston, Kip and 4 others like this.
  7. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    :roflmaro::roflmaro::roflmaro:

nmbuzz likes this.
  8. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Be sure to post the finished product

9. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Mouche, the last time my grandson was in town ,I took him to the
    Visiting LEGO art exhibition .
    5C1DC9E4-BC3D-420A-9742-757E18C10ABD.jpeg
    We found a life sized ———
    2E6710FE-8BCB-4C39-AA68-DEC4B0432E52.jpeg
    When we got home ,he made this for me—-
    624E1017-03C6-41E9-B705-8EADD9A31C08.jpeg
    I love LEGO :roflmaro::roflmaro:

BBP, UBOATDOC, liljoe and 10 others like this.
  10. JonFrank

JonFrank Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Those things are amazing. I bet he loves it.

You remind me a lot of my dad. While I was in under/grad school he always helped me. Like it or not! He would tell me how much he respected my drive. I’ll never forget those conversations.

I love that you chose what HE loved vs something you understood more.

It seems like you’re the type of person to say it. But if not, please don’t forget to say the words you posted in your first post.

Fantastic example of a good dad/daddy. You taught him well when he was young and now he is showing you the fruits of your labor.

I hope that I can say this about my babies in 15 years. And I pray they can say a was a good daddy in 15 years.

God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tac45, Mike Meints, Kip and 3 others like this.
  11. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    That thing is sweet. Great thoughtful gift and I want to see progress pics. Might have to get one for myself.

Scaramouche likes this.
  12. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    For those of you will some interest in this model there is a bunch of stuff on YouTube, I got sold on it when I saw the guy hook a power source to it and everything functioned like the real deal. It really is a phenomenal piece of engineering.

tac45, Mike Meints, rmac and 2 others like this.
  13. TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot I do not consent.

Dec 28, 2017
    Who knew? I was aware Lego made some modern, scientific/robotic stuff but had no idea they were this sophisticated. Good for them. Good for you. Good for your son.

Awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scaramouche likes this.
  14. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I think with his ambition at this age he will have a garage full of the real thing in time Mouche.
    Good on ya mate!

Scaramouche likes this.
  15. dgi

dgi NRA Life Member

Sep 10, 2011
    Awesome gift and even better that you support his efforts and back him up!

I've seen these kits and would really like to try one but the $$ always put me off. Maybe when my boys are older...

Scaramouche likes this.
  16. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Nice job scaramouche. You’re quite a father! With three grown boys and three young grandchildren I’m sure I own or have at least purchased several hundred thousand legos. All of the kids and grandchildren loved/love them. Two things are certain. They are timeless, and nothing feels quite like them at 0 dark thirty barefoot on a tile floor. Like limbkiller I’ve sharpened my barefoot swearing skills on them more than I care to remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kip, Scaramouche and Mike Meints like this.
  17. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    When he finished the Porsche..

Kip, tac45 and Scaramouche like this.
  18. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    10/10/ 18 Noon: Construction begins with the opening of box #1 (of 4) drive train and sub frame;

P1010311.JPG

P1010312.JPG

P1010313.JPG
    Check out those functioning shock absorbers; lower right grey & orange pieces.

19. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
  20. Scaramouche

Sep 15, 2015
    1600 hours, half way through Box 1; subframe assembly, initial underpinnings of transmission and lineage to differential

P1010315.JPG

P1010316.JPG

P1010314.JPG

Beside the auto tranny selector there is a complex fully functional paddle shifter module currently under construction.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted