Lemon Pledge on your firearm ????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joerockhead, Feb 1, 2012.

1. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Okay, so the other day I'm in a Local Gun Shop talking to the owner. He's got a few things on a bench infront of him
    that he's fixing, cleaning, etc. I see him spray down a pistol with Lemon Pledge Furniture polish .... then wipe it off...
    I'm thinking he uses it to make the USED guns look good on his shelves so they'll catch someones eye
    and lead to a sale... I ask him about it and he says he always uses it on guns...
    Basically .... he says oil and water seperate.... but when you wax your car... water is repelled...
    so the same principal applies.....
    So I'm thinking to myself WTF ?????...

has anyone else ever heard or done the same ?????

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Pledge does have oil in it. So I would imagine it could work. No harm done to the metal.

3. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    Works great on the tins of the bike, but never heard of anyone using it on a weapon.....

4. GM*

GM* ~

Oct 15, 2011
    That was something totally new to me! Does he use it to clean the bore too? I wonder if it really does not contains oxidants or acids that could damage the metal.

5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    No idea about using it on guns. I can tell you it's the greatest thing ever to use on clear plastic (flexible) window material to restore clarity.

Bob

6. Mythree

Mythree Banned Supporting Addict

Oct 9, 2011
    Using it on vehicles for years (like a quick shine) told about about it years ago by an old Biker ... why would it be bad for the outside of a weapon - wouldn't spray it on internals though.

7. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1 Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2011
    I wouldn't do this. Isn't lemon acidic?

8. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    not if they only use a scent oil to give it a lemon scent.

9. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Someone check the MSDS!

All I see is "LEMON ODOR" on the MSDS.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Dil,

<--- Is a chemist

What you probably smelling is a compound called limonene. It is sometimes used as a solvent since it is an aromatic hydrocarbon. It is a non-polar molecule and does not like to mix with a polar molecule (like water).

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  11. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    Well let me clarify... It was a spray on wax.... Not sure of the brand...

12. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Really shines up bassboats and shouldn't hurt guns but.......

13. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Many moons ago,my late Father used to wax his '75 Black Monte Carlo with lemon pledge.

Never streaked,no cloudy build up and easy to apply.I wouldn't think it would be a problem on blued firearms.

I've been using Meguires and Mothers car wax on my blued guns for years and have never had a problem with rust.

DAT85

14. BRupar

BRupar Active Member

Apr 9, 2015
    When we built our house, we got all new stainless steel appliances. A real PITA to keep looking nice. We were at Lowes one night looking at all the different types of stainless cleaners. I asked a salesman which cleaner they used to get all the fingerprints off the floor samples, he pulled out a can of pledge.
    Works great on the fridge, never thought to try it in a pistol.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted