Les Baer Models, so many so confusing

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by TomSawyerNW, Nov 30, 2018.

1. TomSawyerNW

TomSawyerNW New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    I've been looking at Les Baer 1911's and will very likely purchase one. I have a .308 24" Les Baer that I absolutely love, along with a 6.5 Grendel Les Baer, both being accurate and a joy to shoot.

But there are so many different models of LB 1911s that I'm confused to know which would suit me best. In a nutshell, I want one that has very good accuracy for noncompetitive target shooting. And a .45 with a 5" barrel.

So, when I see Hemi, Ultimate Tactical Carry, SRP (Swift Response Pistol), Monolith, Commanche, Concept, Custom, Premier, and Thunder Ranch, I'm totally confused. I have been on the Les Baer site but still cannot figure which best suits me.

Any quick and dirty overviews to help?

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Pretty much all of the full sized Les Baer's will meet your requirements.

Do you want adjustable sights for target shooting, or fixed sights for carry/defense?

The Thunder Ranch and Ultimate Tactical Carry are the same gun with different roll marks.

If you can't decide, maybe let price and opportunity decide which one you get.

Patton2018 likes this.

3. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    The Baer lineup is unique in that one single change makes a new model. Your best bet is to list the features you want and then we can help you determine what fits.

If you like thin grips then the UTC and TRS are set up that way. For standard grips the premier 2 and custom carry are good starts. Each model just has a slight change or 2, but ultimately a 5” Baer is a 5” Baer.

4. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yup, just like Ed Brown.

boatdoc and BennyAdeline like this.
  5. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Easy way to think about it:

Fixed sights for fighting

Adjustable for range/target

Everything else is aesthetic. They are all the same base gun for the most part.

A Baer is gonna be amazing no matter which model you get.

boatdoc and jimmy james like this.
  6. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I've got a Boss and a Hemi and they're great, wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Used to have a custom carry, also a great gun. Pick the one that appeals to you most, you won't be disappointed. And, remember that if you order it you can get some thing's changed from the basic configuration like no front serrations, heavier checkering, single safety instead of ambi, etc..

7. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    I have concept VI and Custom Carry Stainless the only real difference is the Custom Carry has night sights -- bought used for a good price and would not have paid extra for sights -- hence when I got a new one it was the Concept VI. There is no difference in the feel and/or accuracy of the two guns. I wouldn't really go by LB's price sheet either but would buy from one of the stocking dealers -- no waiting and you can expect a pretty good discount from the Baer list pice. Concept VI list for $2290 -- my dealer has one listed right now on Gunsinternational for $1895.

8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Decide if you want adjustable or fixed sights . Basic , night or fiber optic. What do-dads you want ,ie: checkered rear of slide , serrated
    Top of slide ,front cocking serration's or not and color.
    Cut out pictures from catalog,throw them in the air and pick one it’s all the same ,except for Monos ,I love Monos .

9. jimmy james

jimmy james 1911 Fiend

Aug 29, 2017
    Premier II is the best all round base gun IMHO. I bought a preowned one. Indeterminate # of users and rnds thru it. Finish has a little wear. $1200 and it shoots like this:

20180918_091003.jpg

10. TomSawyerNW

TomSawyerNW New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    I appreciate the feedback from everyone. From reading responses so far, I can say a (1) thicker grip and (2) adjustable sights would be 2 things important to me. I prefer stainless but the cosmetics are less important, and things I can do without. Oh, and the other thing is for the gun to shoot well beyond my capabilities. I know there are many good ones out there but my satisfaction with LB's long guns kinda keep me tied to the LB brand.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

tac45 likes this.
  11. HOTCHKIS

HOTCHKIS NRA Life Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Luv my TR 1.5 with the thin grips and it's crazy accurate.

12. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    boatdoc likes this.
  13. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  14. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Premier II will suit your needs. Any LB 1911 will be more accurate then you are unless you're a professional shooter IMO.. All models have a 3" at 50 yard guarantee you can also get them in 1.5" guarantee this is at 50 yards..

tac45, FWoo45, boatdoc and 1 other person like this.
  15. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    LBs rock. pick your poison. most are the same (as discussed above) with one or 2 minor changes per model. I love the concept IV and monoliths th e best . nothing wrong with the custom carry or premier models either. they all shoot great

HOTCHKIS and tac45 like this.
  16. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    OP. for your desires a P11 will do fine, maybe a Boss. UTC , custom carry, TR all are fixed sight and crazy accurate, as all Baers are. Love my new customcarry better than an older UTC I owned, but both fine pistols. The new custom carry has never had a bobble with any ammo or mag.
    Good luck, you will be well served, shop hard prices vary quite a bit.

HOTCHKIS likes this.
  17. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Thoughts:
    As said, Baers are made on the American Plan, they are all the same inside.
    So look in the catalog and pick which stainless model has adjustable sights.
    Looks like a Concept V to me.
    https://www.lesbaer.com/Concept5.html

Grips are interchangeable, you can shop for thicker grips as a separate project.

18. dstallguy

dstallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    This. Buy a Premier II and shoot the blueing right off. Thick grips. Red fiber optic front sight. Adjustable rear sights. That’s a target/range gun!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    tac45 likes this.
  19. dstallguy

dstallguy Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 13, 2017
    If you don’t handle a few you won’t know which grip thickness, features you want. I’m 6’5” with XL hands (2xl size gloves). The Premier II fits my hand perfectly. My SRP Comanche fits “pretty” well too. My TRS grips feel too thin so I put on a chunky pair I had lying around and BAM - love it now.

I also like the EDC X9 grip and the full size Sig P226 Xtreme G10 Pirahna grips. Period. Anything else feels wrong. The Legion was almost there but the Xtreme G10s were better feeling for “grab and point” and being on target without adjusting my grip.

Try before you buy if you can

PewPewPtwang and FWoo45 like this.
  20. Mark Anderson

Mark Anderson Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2017
    I was going to mention this. I have small hands and had to fit my Baers with slender grips. Side by side with some other 1911's, the LB 1911 can feel a bit bigger in your hand because the curve on the front and back strap is just a bit wider. Probably not very noticeable to people with bigger hands.

PewPewPtwang likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted