Les Baer Premier ll Magwell

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by JJM7288, Mar 18, 2019.

1. JJM7288

JJM7288 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2018
    It's time to fit a magwell on my LB Premier 2. I have researched the topic and found information various magwells. The common thread is they can be a PITA fitting them to a Baer frame.

The practical option is the Techwell and their grips. Looking for comments from addicts using Techwell on their LB 1911's.

Thanks!

2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    LB has 2pc. Magwells on their website under parts. Seems like this would make the most sense.

simonp, wrmiller and Steve Owens like this.

3. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Baer uses Ed Brown 2 piece magwells. Even if he buys it from Baer, it will still need to be fitted to the gun, they are not drop ins.

tac45 likes this.
  4. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I have the S&A magwell on 2 of my LB guns. One required a good bit of fitting, I had a pistolsmith do it when I failed at it. The other one pretty much went right in. I didn't blend the magwell opening on it though. I try to know my limitations.

tac45 likes this.
  5. BuckyP

BuckyP Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2011
    The Techwell is the best way to go, in my opinion. While I thing SV makes the ultimate mag well, the expense and fitting isn't worth it anymore, to me.

I prefer the Leatham style magwell, which has the open front. The closed front doesn’t seem to do anything, since it doesn’t continue all the way to the frame, leaving a GAP. The open front is not only better looking, but has better magazine compatibility.

Here’s my setup.

[​IMG]

JJM7288 likes this.
  6. bad2006z71

bad2006z71 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2018
    My S&A went on just fine on the Hillsdale SRP, Hillsdale TRSC, and Le Claire 9mm UTC, with the exception of the pin hole needed a very slight wallowing (I know that really isn't the right way to fit the part) to match up to Baer's frame.

My Le Claire UTC 45 was an utter pain in the a** and needed a ton of fitting to work.
    I don't like 2 pc magwells as I have larger hands and like the extra length of the 1 pc. I don't carry them so it doesn't give me a negative.

[​IMG]

uncommonsense likes this.
  7. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Watching this thread with much interest. I have a 2018 built UTC that I am wanting to install a S&A mag guide on.

8. JJM7288

JJM7288 Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2018
    A few months ago, I picked up a used Techwell IPSC SP for a pattern to modify a set of VZ grips. I never got around to modifying the grips (fixturing, programming) so I ordered Techwell grips yesterday.

The magwell is silver so it will be for testing only on the Pll to see how it works. Will comment when installed.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted