Les Baer UTC vs Wilson CQB or Guncrafter NM

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by awmp, Dec 9, 2018.

1. awmp

awmp Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Apr 27, 2012
    Which do you like more or less and why?

2. Sneaky One

Sneaky One Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes.................

WC145, ronin11, Babboonbobo and 7 others like this.

3. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
  4. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Looking forward to watching this thread. The Guncrafter No Name is my next "want" 1911.

Sneaky One likes this.
  5. NPV

NPV Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2017
    Let me start off by saying you can’t go wrong with any of the 1911s in the title. Also please note I have never owned a GC myself nor a CQB, I did own a Hackathorn Special which is just a blinged out CQB.

The GCs I’ve handled have been superb as have most Wilsons. But plain and simple they have not done anything for me that my Baer can’t do. Sure the finish is better, some of the fitting is more precise, they come with cool gun bags, etc. For me though that is not worth the additional price of admission.

Plus as I’ve said before Baers have more “personality” to me in a way that can’t really be put into words. I got my Baer brand new for $1800, almost half of a what a new WC or GC is priced at.

It is solely my opinion that once you start getting above $2k it is time to start consulting a custom smith

If they were all the same price though I’d probably go for a GC.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    ACPMAN, 1911_Chad, DKRanger22 and 8 others like this.
  6. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    I have had all three (actually multiples of all three). Based on the ones I owned it would be Guncrafter, followed by Wilson, then Baer

dstallguy, july19, ZArugby and 4 others like this.
  7. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Idaho 1911er

Aug 19, 2011
  8. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Seems like the NHC GRP should be added to the mix. It has similar features and price as the CQB.

Cop_Out, FWoo45 and Sneaky One like this.
  9. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    A UTC with no FCS and a flat trigger can't be beaten by any brand on the firing line. The rest is just aesthetics and ambiance.

If you want to own one that costs more buy the Guncrafter.

1911_Chad, Rambo2403, straitR and 6 others like this.
  10. dougwtx

dougwtx Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 8, 2011
    I prefer Wilson and Guncrafter as you can specify lots of options with their base builds. I've never owned a Les Baer mainly due to they won't/cannot do a lot of options the others can.

dstallguy likes this.
  11. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    X2

12. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Truth be told, my 25 year old Auto Ordnance "Thompson" rough built 1911 that I bought in a pawn shop for $175 when I was in college, does everything my Baer TRS does. The TRS just does it more smoothly, more accurately and with more pinache'

grayghostforge, AJP and retrieverman like this.
  13. Coolsound

Coolsound Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Guncrafter will be my next gun as I never own one. No more Les Baer for me just because I don’t want to deal with their customers service if I ever need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
    I’ve had One Guncrafter and multiples of WC and Baers.
    Still have WCs and one Baer with another in the pipeline.
    The Guncrafter and Wilson’s aesthetics are like a European auto. both have impressive
    performance and aesthetics where the Les Baer is the no frills flat black blown Mustang GT. While you arrive in style in the WC an the Guncrfter, they are expensive and full of options while the Baer is offered In few finish choices and even fewer options, but will out perform the others at the range.

And after driving all three, you appreciate them alll for what they are, but in the end you just want to pick up the keys to the Mustang and hit the road.

There is just something about the slightly larger grip frame and the hard fit build philosophy that keeps me coming back. And you can have any option you want as long as it’s something that Les offers. Which is not much.
    It’s everything you need and nothing you don’t!

Now enough wth the B.S. talk!
    I like them all but currently own more Wilson’s than Baers!
    I recently Sold my only Guncrafter.
    I would give Guncrafter a slight edge over Wilson, followed by Les Baer.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  15. olds442guy

olds442guy Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2016
    I really like my UTC...

[​IMG]

1911_Chad, Rambo2403, dougwtx and 8 others like this.
  16. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    GC NN
    Wilson CQB
    Baer UTC

In that order.

17. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have all three firearms except my Baer is a LW commander and all in 45acp
    I agree with both on the order, definitely GI no name, Wilson QCB, Baer and I wouldn’t get rid of any of them:)

cgff, Dwe and Glock2740 like this.
  18. Plasman

Plasman Active Member Supporting Addict

Nov 22, 2014
    Ditto - Guncrafter

19. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    I've had Baer, and there is no comparison between Baer and GI. You get what you pay for. I have never owned a Wilson but I have shot them, mainly CQBs. They were OK.

My money has gone and will go to GI, because they offer the features and quality I want.

dstallguy likes this.
  20. Wyatt Withers

Wyatt Withers New Member

Dec 10, 2018
    I have a thunder ranch special as well as a Wilson Combat X-TAC, but I will share that if you are more concerned with the looks and cosmetic aspect I would definitely lean towards Wilson. The les Baer runs very well but some of the tooling marks can appear somewhat crude on the inside of the slide compared to that of a Wilson. With that said the Les baer comes incredibly tight with no play and slide to frame fit was perfect. Mine was almost annoyingly so for the first time I took it down even just racking the slide was tough till I got 500 rounds through it. The trigger was great however, it had a slight bit of ‘grit’ if we compared the two

The Wilson when I got it had a superb fit with 0 play however, racking the slide felt like smooth glass (best I can explain it) even after 1k rounds the fit is the same as day one. The internals show No tool marks that I can find, and the trigger is a smooth 3 and a half pounds which I couldn’t imagine breaking any cleaner. The Wilson came with a nice range bag and two mags, the Les baer came in a no frills cardboard box.

IMO the Wilson is far better and as rugged if not more so, at the cost at the time of about 900$ difference which I feel was worth it in this case. I’ve owned a dan Wesson and fusion which were more comparable to the Baer. As far as the Guncrafter I could not tell you as I have never handled one outside a gun store..

Attached Files:

monadh likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted