1911 Firearm Addicts banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bolt .22's are great for introducing people into the world of shooting! My 15 year old daughter finally showed some interest, so we took her out for the first time yesterday! She loved it! Mission accomplished!
20201127_155208.jpg

·
Cranky old curmudgeon
1,328 Posts
Bolt .22's are great for introducing people into the world of shooting! My 15 year old daughter finally showed some interest, so we took her out for the first time yesterday! She loved it! Mission accomplished! View attachment 658133
That right there is all the reason anyone needs for a plinker!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hi,
There's nothing more deadly, than a 13 year old kid, with a, single shot, bolt action, .22!

Don't ask me how I know that!

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #65

This thing shoots some very nice 50 yard groups with ammo it likes.

Eley Club

While I'm definitely still in the getting-acquainted phase of my relationship with the RAR LRT, I like what I'm seeing in terms of performance.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What are your plans for optics?
I just bought a vortex strike eagle 5-25x56 from liberty optics. Great company. I would highly recommend them. 2nd scope I have bought from them. The caveat is that because I wanted mil I will have to wait until they get their next shipment. Looking forward to piecing this together. I think I will go w an Atlas Bipod as well. These things escalate in price fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wrinkled Member
977 Posts
I just bought a vortex strike eagle 5-25x56 from liberty optics. Great company. I would highly recommend them. 2nd scope I have bought from them. The caveat is that because I wanted mil I will have to wait until they get their next shipment. Looking forward to piecing this together. I think I will go w an Atlas Bipod as well. These things escalate in price fast.

Just ordered a B14-R with steel barrel. Scope selection is bewildering. Haven't purchased a scope in almost 20 years. Trying to locate something that focuses below 50 yds is a challenge. Thanks.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just ordered a B14-R with steel barrel. Scope selection is bewildering. Haven't purchased a scope in almost 20 years. Trying to locate something that focuses below 50 yds is a challenge. Thanks.
How much are you willing to spend? The diamondback tactical parallaxes down to 10 yards. You can pick it up for like 340 bucks and it’s FFP. I have a Athlon BTR and it parallaxes down to 25 yards I believe. But I prefer the vortex. That is why I went with the strike eagle. I wanted a step up from the diamondback tactical. vortex is also known for having the best warranty in the business and for me that’s important in scopes. Good luck and let me know what you get. I would email or call Liberty optics and see why they have to say. They are really good in the shooting community and from what I have found offer the best prices as well.

·
Wrinkled Member
977 Posts
How much are you willing to spend?
Somewhat variable. Traditionally I have been a Leupold fanboy, but I'm disappointed to learn they are now importing glass. I have attempted to boycott Chinese products for over 20 years. It is becoming almost impossible to do so any longer.

I "believe" that I'd like something in the 4-20X range, FFP, Parallax adjustable to +/-10yds or so. Also "believe" I'd like MOA vs. MIL. Some form of Christmas Tree reticle looks interesting. Have plenty of wind.

There isn't any forms of organized Precision 22LR shooting in this area that I'm aware of. I recently purchased a KYL/TYL target & have been having fun with that. (Using Leupold 3X9X33 EFR) There is a 50yd, 100yd & soon to be a 600yd range nearby, plus a whole lot of wide open land.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Somewhat variable. Traditionally I have been a Leupold fanboy, but I'm disappointed to learn they are now importing glass. I have attempted to boycott Chinese products for over 20 years. It is becoming almost impossible to do so any longer.

I "believe" that I'd like something in the 4-20X range, FFP, Parallax adjustable to +/-10yds or so. Also "believe" I'd like MOA vs. MIL. Some form of Christmas Tree reticle looks interesting. Have plenty of wind.

There isn't any forms of organized Precision 22LR shooting in this area that I'm aware of. I recently purchased a KYL/TYL target & have been having fun with that. (Using Leupold 3X9X33 EFR) There is a 50yd, 100yd & soon to be a 600yd range nearby, plus a whole lot of wide open land.
Have you looked at the Burris XTR ii? Burris is made in the USA. I agree with you about staying away from the China crap but I went w Vortex because they really do stand behind their product.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Lots of decent choices. I’ve heard that most, but not all companies are importing glass now. I don’t know specifics. Vortex had a great policy and they really work on selling it, but it’s not really that revolutionary. Leupold has had the same policy for years. They just don’t tout it as much.
Vortex, Athlon, Leupold are have good options. Just as long as you don’t skimp on optics, which most folks shooting .22’s tend to do. As far a objectives go, it’s kind of like picking a holster: It’s a personal choice/what works best for you thing. I get the Christmas tree objective. But I think it obscures everything? Why pay for clear optics to then obscure them? Just sayin...

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
The gun is just a Ruger American Rimfire with a Nikon ProStaff scope.
What it does is allow me to throw the forend over a sandbag and shoot a half box of CCI standard velocity into a very tidy little group at 50 yds indoors.
Adjustments.jpg

Ruger American here as well, with a Nikon scope taken off a Savage TH XP Combo. When I sighted it in at 25 yards, I was getting 1.5” groups with CCI AR ammo so I need to figure out how to tighten those up. Re-torqued the action to stock just in case, will see what happens next time.

Anybody knows if the cheap bipod I got could open up the groups?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Lots of decent choices. I’ve heard that most, but not all companies are importing glass now. I don’t know specifics. Vortex had a great policy and they really work on selling it, but it’s not really that revolutionary. Leupold has had the same policy for years. They just don’t tout it as much.
Vortex, Athlon, Leupold are have good options. Just as long as you don’t skimp on optics, which most folks shooting .22’s tend to do. As far a objectives go, it’s kind of like picking a holster: It’s a personal choice/what works best for you thing. I get the Christmas tree objective. But I think it obscures everything? Why pay for clear optics to then obscure them? Just sayin...
I had a Leupold laser range finder that quit working after about 5 years. I contacted Leupold and they basically told me that they don’t work on them and to go buy another one. I don’t know about their scope warranty but that put me off from buying them. But I hear they are great scopes though. I actually like my Athlon and my Vortex for 22lr. Some people will put a Tangent Theta, Zero Compromise, Nightforce or Schmidt and Bender on their 22lr. That’s crazy to me but some people are really into it. I personally didn’t want to spend more than 800 for a 22lr scope. Everyone’s budgets are different though. If you want to spend more, then there are so many outstanding options in the scope world now.

As far as Christmas tree reticles go, I like them. I never have trouble seeing my shots .. or misses and it even helps me to dial my misses better. I will even hold over at times just for practice and or fun. Every one is different but you certainly don’t need them. Some people even range with their optic. I just don’t go that far. That’s why I bought a range finder :).

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had a Leupold laser range finder that quit working after about 5 years. I contacted Leupold and they basically told me that they don’t work on them and to go buy another one. I don’t know about their scope warranty but that put me off from buying them. But I hear they are great scopes though. I actually like my Athlon and my Vortex for 22lr. Some people will put a Tangent Theta, Zero Compromise, Nightforce or Schmidt and Bender on their 22lr. That’s crazy to me but some people are really into it. I personally didn’t want to spend more than 800 for a 22lr scope. Everyone’s budgets are different though. If you want to spend more, then there are so many outstanding options in the scope world now.

As far as Christmas tree reticles go, I like them. I never have trouble seeing my shots .. or misses and it even helps me to dial my misses better. I will even hold over at times just for practice and or fun. Every one is different but you certainly don’t need them. Some people even range with their optic. I just don’t go that far. That’s why I bought a range finder :).

I’ve only experienced their customer service for scopes. That stinks about your range finder. That would put me off from buying from them again as well. A lot of people like the Christmas tree reticle so it clearly works!

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #75

Steyr Zephyr II

Just ordered one of these from Chicken Dinner Arms. I remember the original Steyr Zephyr owned by a friend's dad back in the 1960's when I was a kid. It was the first rifle I ever shot with a full-length Mannlicher stock and dual set triggers. Pretty cool. It made hitting empty beer cans at 50-60 yards look easy.

I vaguely remember when Steyr released the Zephyr II back in late 2018 and wondering if it was anywhere near as good as the original. I guess I'm about to find-out?

Just got the notification from UPS that my Zephyr II is inbound. Hopefully have it by this weekend. Meanwhile, I've narrowed down my choice of optics to three or four that'll work extremely well and look good on it.

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
THAT'S NICE!

Hoping that the stock on mine is just as pretty. Anyone interested in either a Steyr, Bergara, Christensen, Anschutz or Sako .22 owes it to themselves to hit-up @Chicken Dinner Arms for Addicts-pricing and because they're great to deal with. Inquiries are answered promptly and professionally. Really, I couldn't be more satisfied with the service I've received. 10/10 would buy from them again.

·
старая каза
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)

Selecting the right optic for the Steyr Zephyr II has been a real challenge. It hasn't been easy to find the right combination of price/value/quality/aesthetics/features but, I had a breakthrough last night and ordered this Meopta Optika 6 2.5-15x44mm and a set of Talley 11mm dovetail rings to go with it.

Meopta Sports Optics | Optika6 2,5-15x44 SFP

I'm not a big fan of mounting huge scopes on .22's in general. Since the Steyr Zephyr II is essentially a 'sporter' and meant to be carried on a sling (something else I need to get) I wanted to go with something that both looked good and still had a decent range of magnification without being disproportionately large for the rifle.

While not exactly well-known in the USA, Meopta is a Czech company that builds everything right there in the Czech Republic. If I could compare them to anyone stateside it would probably be Vortex: excellent product and value for the money. The glass is Czech (as opposed to Chinese or Japanese) and by all accounts it ranks with some of the best offerings in Europe, including Swarovski, Steiner and Kahles for about HALF the price.

·
Wrinkled Member
977 Posts
Think you will be pleased with that scope based upon reviews/reports that I've read. I was looking at one of those also. The selection of optics these days is bewildering!

61 - 80 of 117 Posts