Let's Talk .45 ACP FMJ Stopping Power.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by GeorgiaRedfish, Nov 17, 2011.

1. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Well I will start by saying, this season has been one of the worst in all my hunting career. This is the first season I had to "finish" a deer, and today was my second one, it also is a bad season because I've only seen one buck and had no shot. Well two time I had to finish my does this season, both were shot in the back. One I had my 1911 on hand and it took a whopping 4 rounds of FMJ .45acp behind the eye into the brain to kill her. The second one today, I shot in the back with a 30-06 and i slit its throat, she still wasn't dying quick enough, so I hauled ass back to the house for my Springer. When I got back it picked its head up and looked at me, I had to pump once again 4 fmj .45acps to kill her. Believe me when I tell these stories I am not enjoying it, I don't ever want a deer to suffer, but **** happens. I just want you guys to know that I will never carry FMJ's once I can afford to buy HP's. thought you all my like some real world "stopping" power.

2. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Sorry to hear that bud, I dispatched on with one shot in the ear with a 380 a long time ago
    A lot of Jap.s and Krauts were dispatched with fmj I carry it for edc till I can break in my 1911 with HP's

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

3. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Both deer this season were awkward shots, They were both about 4 inches behind the mark, snapping their backs. I need to get a stand again for better shooting windows and opportunities.

4. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Oh and here is a Tip for you guys. Make sure your deer is dead before you take your significant other, who is uneasy about killing animals, with you to put the deer in the truck.

5. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    The amount of andrenaline going through her system wouldn't help. I'd be inclined to have put another round through the chest/heart area with the rifle.

That adrenaline's some awesome stuff in large quantities.

6. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    That would not be cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Cry:

7. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    A really good piece of advice! :thumb:

Sorry for your luck,as they say " s**t happens". A couple of years ago,my bro in law went handgun hunting for a deer with a .357 mag Taurus.
    It was his first handgun hunt.

He hit the deer 2x and it still ran him for over 3 hrs on a blood trail.:eek:

180 gr bonded.It should have done the job.

It didn't.

The best laid plans.......

DAT85

8. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Ya ***** happens and I understand that, just know I am not using FMJ's as soon as I can afford HP's

9. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Yep, FMJ .45 is very effective against your average 140-160 lb malnourished less than motivated D-Bag.

10. JoeJ

JoeJ Member

Nov 27, 2011
    The 230 grain FMJ behind the front shoulder on a broadside shot will kill them every time - they will go anywhere from 20 to 100 yards at warp speed prior to bleeding out & piling up. 9 times out of 10 you'll make 2 holes and have a good blood trail.

Hitting the front shoulder will usually put them down on the spot or within 10 yards but you'll ruin a little meat in the process. If the placement is off a bit and you don't break the shoulder, then all bets are off and you'll probably lose him unless you put a follow-up shot or two in the heart/lung area.

There's really no difference between the 45ACP and the 45 Colt using the same weight bullet with the same velocity. Of course the "modern" 45 Colt can be loaded to higher velocities with heavier bullets giving it an advantage over the 45 ACP but with proper bullet placement you won't have any problems killing a whitetail at 75 yards with the 45 ACP. The ole 45 Colt with maximum black powder loads, was rated at about 850 to 900fps with a 240 or 250 grain bullet from a 7.5" barrel Single Action Army back in the day and killed a lot of animals larger than a whitetail on a regular basis. The 45ACP is very efficient compared to the ole black powder 45 Colt and it will kill just as well if not a little better to boot.

The bonded hollow-point is an excellent hunting bullet but so is a 255 grain hardcast at 900fps. If you don't roll your own, you might want to look at some custom reloaders such as Buffalo Bore, as Tim sells a good 255 grain hardcast. They're considered +P ammo but the pressure isn't high enough to cause any concern unless you plan on shooting 50 at a time - if that's the case - then just go with a heavier recoil spring and maybe a buffer and you're golden. Proper bullet placement is the key to efficient killing.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  11. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    I sometimes carry a .22 pistol to shoot tree rats with during deer season. Used it twice to finish off deer. Both times one bullet and the deer stretched out and was done. You were shooting the deer somewhere other than the brain as any bullet that hits that the animal is toast. We use the .22 to kill hogs we by from the Amish every year. One shot and it's over. Any gun good shootem good.

12. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    Aman Brother!

13. ajstrider

ajstrider Active Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Were you aiming for a neck shot on this deer? I am sort of confused how you hit 4 inches behind the mark and hit its spine. I much prefer the heart/lungs/shoulder shot when rifle hunting.

14. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    I was aiming for the shoulder.

15. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Well they all went behind the eye, from slightly behind her.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted