1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few guns that I wouldn't mind having a bit of engraving work done to them. One of them is a polished stainless steel Ruger Vaquero, the other is a 1911. I may have a few rifles that could use some engraving as well.

Anybody here do their own engraving? I don't know the best course of action to learn the basics or seek out any sort of training. I would imagine someone new would want to tackle lots of scraps or ingots or something long before attempting any work on an actual gun. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to be able to engrave ones own firearm. Whether or not it would be feasible for me to learn the skill is still up in the air I suppose.

Maybe a better question is, anybody here have a favorite person that you like to use to have engraving performed on your guns? Have any pictures you want to share?

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,272 Posts
I have two engraved handguns, one a Colt 1911 and the other a S&W 640. Both were engraved by Bob Shade who unfortunately passed away a couple of years ago. Both of these will eventually be passed along to my grandsons. The 1911 was a labor of love that took a couple of years to come together. Both get shot occasionally.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are beautiful guns you have there Eric. My grandson is my motivation for having at least one gun engraved. I love the idea of being able to pass something down that is personalized rather than just another cookie cutter gun. I have a unique firearm that my father gave to me that I cherish. It isn't engraved, but it is unique. I want to be able to do the same someday with my own children and grandchildren.

There just doesn't seem to be much chatter on the internet regarding gun engraving. Or perhaps I am just looking in the wrong locations.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
This lady is up and coming. Pretty awesome old school work.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
You can go here and search out engravers by state. The list is separated into Master Engravers and regular engravers. Just click on "the engravers" in the left pane.
I was shocked to see there is one in Alaska and in the same town I live in lol

·
Premium Member
407 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had a gun engraved by James White in Alaska .He does beautiful work! If I remember correct I think he engraved for some of the major players one being Ed Brown and possibly Colt. I had him do a little on a Ruger convertible. Just high lights nothing too crazy. Something I would like to hand down to my son some day.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I have had a gun engraved by James White in Alaska .He does beautiful work! If I remember correct I think he engraved for some of the major players one being Ed Brown and possibly Colt. I had him do a little on a Ruger convertible. Just high lights nothing too crazy. Something I would like to hand down to my son some day.
It had never really entered my mind until today when I searched the guild.
With him being 10 miles down the road tho coupled with what you say about his work the wheels are grinding to a start lol
I have a couple I wouldnt mind some accents done to now that it might possibly be doable.
Thank You... I think :LOL:

Reactions: Captrndy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Too many people now a days doing laser engraving! It doesn’t have the same appeal to me as the person with an engraving tool in their hand , Creating a work of art! If any of you have instagram check @Jim_white_engraving out!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Laser engraving is not appealing to me at all. Fine craftsmanship on a finely crafted pistol is where its at for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hand engraving is really all that I am interested in at the moment.

·
Cav Troopers Dad
1,272 Posts
I think the biggest thing with laser engraving is it lacks soul. If you are on FB check out Kevin Johnson, he’s a Texas guy who does an amazing job. We have a lot of really talented engravers in Texas. IMHO Bob who did both of mine leads the pack. Unfortunately he passed away. Good luck on your venture, with engraving sometimes a little turns into a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I have an Old Vaquero .45 that is hand engraved with elephant ivory stocks. I like that it is about 75% coverage on the frame, cylinder and gripframe. I very much like the backstrap and I shoot it a fair amount(It's a little dirty, excuse me). I do not like the fact that the engraver didn't turn the billboard off of the barrel before the engraving, but that may leave the door open for another barrel if I decide to. There's probably a mark somewhere, but I don't know who did the engraving. I don't have much info and my photos aren't the best, but you asked about an exact gun that I have. If you'd like more photos or have any questions, I live for this and am more than happy to oblige.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an Old Vaquero .45 that is hand engraved with elephant ivory stocks. I like that it is about 75% coverage on the frame, cylinder and gripframe. I very much like the backstrap and I shoot it a fair amount(It's a little dirty, excuse me). I do not like the fact that the engraver didn't turn the billboard off of the barrel before the engraving, but that may leave the door open for another barrel if I decide to. There's probably a mark somewhere, but I don't know who did the engraving. I don't have much info and my photos aren't the best, but you asked about an exact gun that I have. If you'd like more photos or have any questions, I live for this and am more than happy to oblige.
View attachment 757603 View attachment 757604 View attachment 757605 View attachment 757606 View attachment 757607

This is exactly what I have in mind for my Vaquero. That is a beautiful gun!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts