Lever Action Advise Needed

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by OldCuz, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Uberti Yellowboy 45lc

0D55522B-5F50-4264-9D34-255B8EA9AC14.jpeg

2. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    It’s not 100% original but I love it.
    19F93782-12CA-4D14-8CBA-5EC086EC686C.jpeg

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 19, 2017
    Not a huge fan of levers I am a Cowboy at heart, so some years back I bought a new Marlin 375 big bore lever. Ammo was hard to find & cases were scarce at first so to were bullets to load.
    I traded it for a Marlin Lever action Rifle with 24" bbl in .444. I love this gun with a 4X scope it
    would shoot clover leafs at 100 yards using my hand loads with 265gr FNSP .430 dia.

At my weight and age this is not my go to gun any more LOL I should trade it for a .44 mag marlin but this gun will shoot clover leaves at 100 yards. That may not impress you but a lever gun is not a bedded bolt gun and a straight walled .444 is not a .308.

I do like the look and feel of a lever gun & with a cartridge like the .44 spl or the .44 mag the carbine should be a lot of fun to shoot. The .44 mag & .44 spl as well as the 30-30 are not out of stock today. I'll maybe keep the ol .444 & get a new Henery in .44 mag yea selling a great gun is the hardest to do so just keep & buy more. :happy: 1 happy Addict :rolleyes: U all know.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    tac45 and OldCuz like this.
  4. Lineman1982

Lineman1982 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    This thread is making me want another lever gun.

5. Genes 1911

Genes 1911 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    I own a .45/70 Marlin 1895.Shooting a lead cast bullet over Unique is a ball.
    Personally, I would consider a used gun and cash for a Smith, for embellishments.

OldCuz likes this.
  6. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    With that kind of budget, you ought to be able to find a (or 2) nice pieces. I'm huge marlin fan. (pre-safety guns) here is a .44 I had shortened to 16.25" and couple 39M's they are the only ones I have pictures of..
    Happy Hunting..

39ms.jpg 1894.jpg

KS95B40, DMiller, 1911 crazed and 5 others like this.
  7. fallenangelhim

fallenangelhim chicken wings

Jan 18, 2018
    For your budget you can get a lot. Again, recommend a JM marked Marlin. This means the barrel has a JM stamp signifying it was produced before being sold to Remington. Supposedly better quality and like all things we like older things. There is also a “waffle top” JM which is a bit more desirable but you should not drill and tap into it to mount a scope only because it will diminish collector value if that matters. I have a 1980s JM that was already drilled and tapped for a scope.

Winchesters are nice. Read up about pre-64 but my personal opinion is that it was overblown. Many people have post 64 that shoots great. In 1964 Winchester Repeating Arms decided to cut costs and modified manufacturing methods. I have no doubts some came out as turds but personally believe most are fine. Winchesters eject from the top making it difficult to mount a scope. They got sold to FN at one point and then to a Japanese company. Depending on your views on Americana, it may alter who you buy from.

Bender and gps man like this.
  8. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    @Troll68, @Bender, @Lineman1982 very nice Levers! @Mike A :thumbs: keep the .444 but still buy a .44! It's want an Addict would do right?

Wish I had started off with steel and wood & steel guns instead of poly back years ago. But I didn't. I'd be 30 years ahead. Well, can't go back in time, but I know better now. My Dad was in the military when I was young, but never owned a firearm that I knew of. So no influence there. My Mom grew up on a big farm. My Granddad had a single shot shotgun. My Grandmother wouldn't let me touch it.

I've heard "Turnbull" mentioned in this forum here and there, but never visited their site. WOW..
    So, this is good to finally find out, or maybe not :bang: :oops:.

I've barely started on my 1911 collection and now...lever guns.

My LGS has Winchester and Henry's, no Marlins atm. I was in there last Friday looking at them on the wall. I declined the offer to hold a Henry I was eyeballing. They opened at 9 this morning so I might have to slide over later. Plus, I'm going that way anyhow to check on some Buffalo Trace Bourbon. :)

1911 crazed and Mike A like this.
  9. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
  10. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Mike A likes this.
  11. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    @cherokee2u thanks for the heads up on that. I've been working near Greensboro all year. I'll have to leave work early one day and stroll over there. Thanks

12. FatMikey

FatMikey Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Don't think you could go wrong with anything suggested. I have a Henry .22 LR, old Marlin 336 in 30-30, and Savage 99 in 300 Savage and really appreciate them all. I am also in the market for another, probably in .357 or .44 Mag.

One guy at my gun club is extremely knowledgeable, a skilled amateur gunsmith on 1911s and lever actions. He has most lever guns you can think of. He just bought a Rossi 92 in 44 mag with stainless steel octagon barrel. The wood is beautiful on that gun. He says it's the first lever gun he didn't have to do anything to. I hadn't seen that rifle mentioned in the thread so might we worth looking at.

OldCuz and gps man like this.
  13. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Not the best prices. They deal in consignments and estate purchases.

Good selection that you could look at and fondle

OldCuz likes this.
  14. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    Call me a wimp, but I don't want a .30-30 to plink with, not even my bolt action unless loaded down a good bit. A neighbor's Model 94 carbine was a nasty little kicker.
    A friend had a Canadian Centennial with 24" octagon barrel that was a lot of fun with cast bullets.

The nicest casual shooters I know of were the Marlin Cowboys with octagon barrel in revolver calibers.

OldCuz and gps man like this.
  15. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I have *some* lever guns and really like them.

All good advice so far.

I have two of the newer Marlin’s that I bought with trepidation that have turned out fine.

One .357 and one .45 Colt.

Lots of fun!

And yes, I have the same caliber single action revolvers to go with them.

Addicted.....

OldCuz and Mike A like this.
  16. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Personally, I think a .357 lever gun is more versatile. I bought a 90's JM marlin in .357/.38, 20" barrel - 10+1 capacity and heavy .357 loads are comparable ballistically to 30-30 out to 100 yds. Shooting .38s, even +p, is like a .22 mag. The JM Marlins have gone up in price, but you should be able to find one for $800 or less. There are some pre-safety models in .357, but those that I've seen usually go for close to $1000 - same with Winchester. I still kick myself for selling one I picked up for $450 about 10 years ago.

I've added a Skinner winged rear peep sight and a trigger, loading gate, and and large loop lever from Ranger Point Precision. Their products are available for any Winchester or Marlin (all calibers). I can't recommend the RPP stuff highly enough. The trigger is the cleanest, no take up, crisp breaking I've ever had installed in a gun and the pull is around 3.5-4#. Their winged loading gate makes loading a breeze, which is not the case on other lever guns I've owned - just look for the copper or lead marks around the loading gate on most lever guns as proof. I also have their "safety delete" for the crossbolt safety that I haven't installed yet.

If you want to get a 30-30, I'd recommend a pre-safety Winchester 94 or pre-safety Marlin. You should be able to find a nice one for under $1000. I'd definitely replace the sights on either - again, I recommend Skinner sights. The 20" Marlin and Winchester 30-30s will hold 7 in the tube, which is what I consider the minimum for a viable defense rifle. You could go 18" (not common) with 6 rounds or 16" with 5 rounds, but I prefer 7. The 20" carbines in any caliber are very handy. A 16" will feel even handier/more compact than a 16" AR and on par with an M1 carbine.

Edited to add: The main difference between the Marlin and Winchester rifles is the ejection - Marlin ejects from the side and Winchester from the top. The top-eject of the Winchesters bothers some with brass to the face, though I don't recall it being a problem on a .357 I owned when working the lever forcefully (which you should anyway).

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    OldCuz, gps man and Mike A like this.
  17. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    @OldCuz , just a point of interest , what will you be doing with your lever gun , plunking, caressing, or serous hunting deer or dangerous game. What is important to you ?
    Do you want something fancy that will remain “ pretty” and have limited use / range time , or something utilitarian for hard outdoor use ?
    IMHO, the turnbulls are expensive show pieces , nothing wrong with that at all they are beautiful no doubt .
    Do you mind owning a firearm made offshore ie: Japanese Winchester , or Italian replicas ?
    Does caliber or recoil factor in.
    Answering these questions may narrow down your choices .
    Oh hell , just buy one of each :roflmaro:

Mike A, OldCuz and gps man like this.
  18. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    @tac45, I dreamed about owning a 30-30 as a boy. That might be the one to get by Turnbull some day.
    Y'all got me to thinking about a .357 as I am definitely going to get a Colt Python. Makes good sense to. A 22 lever action also. I haven't deer hunted in a long time. Might get back with it but not this year. Honestly I will shoot them but not a bunch. A .22? That might be a different story. With the way ammo is right now. 22 is still available to me readily.

Just left the package store with a couple of bottles.
    20200925_120759.jpg
    Now about to slip into my LGD to see about the lever actions they have in stock.
    A fellow member was supposed to hook me up with a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace but no word from him. Oh well. Can't find any ever around here.
    When I get back home I'm gonna kick back on my PC. Do some surfing on the web. Make some posts on 1911 Addicts and sip on some bourbon. It's a rainy day here. Heck, might be unboxing a new gun if I find something I fancy. :D

DMiller, 1911 crazed, Bugs and 2 others like this.
  19. NIU2009

NIU2009 Active Member

Nov 6, 2018
    @OldCuz My Marlin .357 pairs nicely with my 686+ and I wouldn't feel undergunned at all with them. Even heavy .357s don't kick nearly as hard as a 30-30. Just me, but other than my C&R rifles, I like to turn any rifle I buy into something that is set up for defense in a pinch, so that's what I did with the mods to my Marlin - loaded with .38s for defense and .357s for hunting. I still need to add a rail section at the front for a light.

I know 30-30 is as American as apple pie, but I just don't think it's a very good caliber considering the alternatives and it's a recoil'er for what it is. The only advantage I see to a 30-30 over a .357 is better ballistics from 100-150 yards, which still aren't great.

OldCuz likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted