Lever Action Advise Needed

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by OldCuz, Sep 24, 2020.

1. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    I’ll drink to that :D

87831384-5980-4B3F-AF6E-2EF7D7809FAD.jpeg

2. OldCuz

OldCuz Raleigh NC Supporting Addict

Mar 22, 2020
    Dang @tac45, save me a glass...or 5 :)

tac45 likes this.

3. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Almost left with a Henry 22. Also had a 30-30. Then saw they had a used Colt Commander .45 had come in. $879
    Been having an eye out for another commander. Might would have gotten it, but the safety was spongy. Didn't like that. It looked to be a rather low round count Colt. Except the magazine indicated otherwise.

They also had a Rossi in .357 and a Winchester. Not a fan of Rossi. The Winchester was a nice & heavy. Blued and nice hardwood stock. About to head to GB. I'm on the hunt.

4. Barefootdog

Barefootdog Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Does the Henry still load through the front of the magazine tube. I think it was Henry that did that. Seemed like a PITA.

Only own 1 lever gun, JM marked Marlin XLR 45/70. Zeroed at 50 (could have been 100, I forget). First time I shot it (scoped) at 200 grouped smaller than a chipmunk w/Hornady 45/70 lever evolution, 7.1" (?) drop at 200. Typical Oregon winter day..raining with gusting winds from the west. I thought it did OK. Would like to tear it down and burnish the action to make it smoother and work on the trigger. But it's very functional out of the box.

I hear the Japanese made lever guns are really sweet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    OldCuz likes this.
  5. monster

monster Active Member

May 10, 2020
    Have a Marlin 357 lazing around here somewhere. Gotta charge the phone battery some. Back in a bit.

OldCuz likes this.
  6. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Those of you talking about a Uberti. They are a very nice looking lever gun. Sweet gun. I want one.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876956312
    Or this..https://www.gunbroker.com/item/878500937
    And the Henry https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879440554

But, primarily because of the ammo shortage I believe I should buy a 22. I would like to be able to shoot it this year. Even 38 Special is about a dollar a round! Sucks. Going to look a while longer and possibly go back later today but most likely tomorrow and nab the Henry in 22LR. I'm about to pour my second two fingers of Larceny. Should be wise and stay inside.

7. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
  8. monster

monster Active Member

May 10, 2020
  9. monster

monster Active Member

May 10, 2020
    Been awhile since I last shot it, but I don't recall it having issues cycling .38's.

Peep is nice, but only if you still can see the front sight:shy:

OldCuz likes this.
  10. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Most all the Henry Repeating Arms guns were fed through the mag tube.
    They do have a new model line that is gate fed, I don’t know much about them.

Love my Uberti, I actually did a partial trade for it. I traded my 44 Mag Henry and some cash for it. Mine is the longer sporting rifle, I love it

tac45 and OldCuz like this.
  11. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    @monster that's a nice lever action!
    I can relate to that also. I really like a gold bead front sight. On everything.

12. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Henry now makes some lever gun models that come with both the side load gate and front tube loader.

gps man likes this.
  13. Bugs

Bugs Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Se a lot of bourbon enthusiasts here too. My go to bourbons have been Buffalo Trace & Four Roses Small Batch. Recently bought a bottle of 1792 small batch not sure if I like it or not.

tac45, gps man, blamo and 1 other person like this.
  14. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Called my LGD back and asked about the Henry Golden Boy 22 inventory. Since guns are selling so quick I just wanted to make sure I could pick one up tomorrow. They only had one. It was on display. So, I didn't want to risk it. Jumped in my Tundra and drove there. When I walked back to the rifles a fella was holding it looking down the sights. Then begin to carefully look it over. Nice he said. Dang, he's going to buy it I thought. He handed it back to his salesperson and asked to see another 22 lever action. Another salesman was near his and was watching me watching the guy handling the rifles. He had seen me in earlier looking at the gun the customer was now looking at. A blued Winchester 22 I think, maybe a Henry. He already knew what I wanted to see as he was also the one I had talked to on the phone. He asks me if I want to see the Golden Boy. I say get the box I'm buying it. The customer's wife was with him and he was still looking at the blued 22. She says to me. That's a beautiful rifle. It's the one I like the most. I smiled and said me too.

20200925_165000.jpg 20200925_165637.jpg

15. monster

monster Active Member

May 10, 2020
    Good snag

OldCuz likes this.
  16. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The Golden Boys are super smooth. I’ve got two now, a 22 Mag and a 22 LR

Fatbob Frank, tac45 and OldCuz like this.
  17. FatMikey

FatMikey Active Member

Apr 29, 2020
    That's a beauty. Couldn't have made a better choice for your intro to lever guns.

OldCuz likes this.
  18. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    Maybe you've seen this thread. https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/whisky-bourbon-photos-thread.97271/
    I'm going to be getting 4 bottles of Buffalo Trace next week from a forum member. There is never any around here. It comes in and is gone in an hour, crazy.

Bugs likes this.
  19. OldCuz

Mar 22, 2020
    My Addiction is growing, lol.

20. Denver1911

Denver1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    I’m waiting for the right level action rifle to come by in 41 Rem Mag.

OldCuz and gps man like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted