LGS and rediculous prices...

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by army_inc, Dec 13, 2011.

1. army_inc

army_inc New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Ok. So I come home from Iraq and I'm happy to be home. After a little while of sitting around the house, I decide to go to the LGS. Prices are rediculous there. A RIA commander was $650 and a used colt mark IV was $850 used with a huge idiot mark on it. It just didn't seem right to me. The condition was ok, but still. The idiot mark killed me. Anyways, I just thought I'd vent a little bit. I wouldn't mind either weapon, just don't want to pay that much for it.

2. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    I work in a SMALL LGS on Saturdays and I understand where your coming from.The "mom and pop" LGS' suffer from a lot of the same issues that small businesses suffer from everywhere.

We're trying to compete against the internet.:Cry:

Overhead, such as taxes,insurance and wages.Not to mention rent,distributors that charge us top $$$ 'cause we don't make million dollar orders to get a Ruger SR1911 or any of the other "hot ticket" sales items that they hold out for the "big boys". These are the things that hurt the LGS.

A lot of dealers try to make the most profit off of trade-in's 'cause they are "up-side down"on the item they took in.
    Did you try talking them down on the 1911's ?

Companies that sell for what a small dealer pays has spoiled the gun buying public.In the end,the local gun shop will probably get crushed just like WALLY WORLD did to the small stores in every community.

Then,customer service will be a thing of the past.You"ll just end up dealing with nameless,faceless geeks who don't care if your happy or not.

Rant over....

DAT85

3. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    I personally only go to local gun stores to see what they have in for used stock. I will not pay sales tax if I can help it, which means the last thing I want to do is buy in state. It's a sad truth, but as long as what I'm buying local means the government is taking a cut, it's distasteful.

4. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    I agree. I haven't bought a gun from a LGS in a long time. Well, save for the couple of exceptional steal of a deal. Kinda makes them sad, since I was like Norm from Cheers at my two favorite LGS's. :lol: But when they don't have what you really want, and for them to get it, cost's me several hundred dollars more, not to mention the added sales tax, then I'm cool just picking them up at my FFL. And to the OP, thanks for your service and welcome back home. :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. Haraise

Haraise A=A

Dec 10, 2011
    Exactly, hundreds of dollars more.

If you run a local shop, you're already behind compared to the internet in sales tax. You more than likely can't match the deals online without even that.

So what can you do?

Stock neat things people didn't know they wanted.

Stock milsurp ammo when it's available, since it waxes and wanes.

Buy neat things that can be gotten in bulk all at once and then have it when it runs out. Cheap milsurp pistols, police tradeins, J&G is good at this.

Have a big and interesting used selection, that's something no online place can have.

Or you can just keep hoping none of your customers have a computer and get left behind... the market changes, have to keep up and play to your strengths. It won't be like it was in the past.

6. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I saw a nice double barrel shotgun at my LGS. It had a few nicks in the stock, apparently from being handled quite a bit. They wanted $975 for it, which I thought was steep, but I wasn't sure because I know very little about shotguns. I looked it up online and MSRP was $550.

After seeing that inflated price I won't be buying anything from them.

7. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    I recently bought a new gun from a LGS. They had it for way less, and after tax, it was cheaper OTD than what I would've paid for it on the net + FFL fee.

I do agree that some of the LGS's are too expensive and charges a little too much for what the market is dictating. There are some reasonable stores.

8. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    It's the same thing when I walk the gun shows...some dealers will have the same gun $75+ over the market value. And this is on a gun that averages around $500.

9. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I bought the Ruger SR1911 locally, $615 + 8% tax. Can't get it for that on the internet.

His prices are usually pretty good and he always has a bit of wiggle room in his marked prices, 'cause everyone likes to haggle at a gun shop!

New Colt Stainless Gov't or Commander are marked $875, new Springfield stainless Loaded is $899, Mil-Spec stainless is $669.

10. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm lucky to have about 5 LGS within easy driving range...

Some do really well.... some dont. It's easy to see why.

The ones that do the best are the ones with a LARGE stock of used guns, with always something unique to check out.

The ones that do the worst are the ones that are stocked heavy in new guns, and are asking ridiculous prices.

Yes, it can be very hard to run a traditional LGS in this day & age.. but like others have said, you have to change to suit the modern buying public. Dont try to outsell online folks on new, expensive guns. All you are doing when you stock up on overpriced "new" stock, is become a showroom for guys to look & feel them, then go home and order it cheaper. Impulse buys on unique, used guns with a good profit margin is the ticket. Package deals is another way for the local guys to make money.... Package a rifle with a few mags & battle pack of ammo. Give them a reason to buy more.

11. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The big LGS here in town is higher than MSRP on most guns, and $50 on a transfer. And they are always busy. My FFL is a small pawn shop that charges 10% over cost on guns and $15 for transfers. He's been good to me, so even if something is a few dollars more out the door, I get it from him. I'm in an industry that is dying from Internet competition as well. I wouldn't wish it on anybody!

12. army_inc

army_inc New Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Well, I'd love to help support the LGS and to his credit, the guns I looked at were all used. I've gone there many times and he has told me that he is a member (or whatever you want to call it) of galleryofguns.com Those prices are pretty good from what I can tell. I'm not sure if he gets a % out of a sale of what the deal is with that. I just know I could get a new RIA commander and have it shipped to his store for around $400-$450 so that's why I was upset by his used RIA commander. The Colt is a nice weapon, but considering I just bought a government model new for $50 less than what his used gun was for upset me as well.
    I understand that he has to make some money back off of his used gun that he bought. I would (If I owned a store at least, and I kind of do this with WWII items as I know them really well) buy it for a price where I know I can make at LEAST 50% back. Then I just resell it. I'm sure it may be a little easier with most WWII items as they don't cost as much as a firearm, but it is the same principle at least. He's had a Luger in his gun shop for about 2 years now that was reblued :frusty: and it looks terrible :54_002: and it's price tag is about $900. I did see another one made in 1912 by erfurt but can't remember the price. I know it's a "most" numbers matching. I could only find one that didn't match. I want to say the price was around $900 as well, but I can't remember.
    I want to support the LGS, but man, sometimes it's just hard seeing those prices on the used market. Oh, I didn't try to talk him down because if I came home with a new toy, my wife would kill me... especially when I have to go pick up my new toy :biggrin1: in 3 days!

13. SkDmRkLcY

SkDmRkLcY Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I will go look at local shops and if they are in about 50~75 I will buy local. That way I am buying what is in hand and do not have to wait. My FFL for transfers is also a bit of a drive, so it is worth it for me. Anymore than that I understand the trouble of the small business, I also understand that my wallet likes itself more.

Any more than that I will just look then order online. Some of the local shops have decent prices, but it seems they will randomly have stuff way out to lunch.

None of the local shops ever seem to get anything good used in stock, but I still make the rounds just to see.

14. too_pure

too_pure Employed

Nov 9, 2011
    I bought a few guns from a pretty small place near my home. They are jerks though and I would expect that by now they'd be a little nicer to me. Makes me not want to go back. Like they don't value my business. They have good prices though. Maybe once my hurt little feelings wear off I'll go back. It'd just be nice if they were nice to their customers.

I recently bought a gun from Cabela's. But it was a one-off. Nobody else had what I wanted, and they had it at a great price. Paying tax sucked, but honestly, the worst part, was that it took almost two effing hours to buy a damn gun. If it was anything else I could've gotten somewhere else I would've left.

15. dilespla

dilespla Never made it to step 12 Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    My LGS happens to be a pawn shop too. The guy in there is really cool. The prices aren't usually over MSRP, they typically are about 10% under. He'll also haggle with you. I've gotten some sweet deals in there.

He doesn't mind if you order and send it to his store either. I found a deal on my P22/suppressor combo that he couldn't beat and he out right told me not to pass it up, get it sent to his shop.

There is usually some type of older military gun in there as well. I'm going back this weekend to see if that GI 1911 is still there. He only wanted $800 and I think all the numbers matched. The grips had been replaced with period correct ones. I forgot to get the serial to cross reference. Doh!!!

16. Ditto_95

Ditto_95 Why oh why? Supporting Addict

Nov 5, 2011
    My very local gun shop is a pawn shop that deals mostly in guns. He gets some interesting things in on trade or coming out of pawn. Very reasonable and will negotiate. (that is the fun part)
    The other LGS I frequent a lot has 90% used guns. I love going in there just to see what I can't live without.

Always negotiate for a price less taxes out the door.:nod:

17. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    My local gun store is Buds and Jet guns. Jet will give ya better deal though. Centerfire systems can't be beat on RIA. Other gun shops Gilberts, Evans, and a dozen others will give good prices as there are so many gunshops.

18. joerockhead

joerockhead "BOURBON" It's not just for Breakfast anymore ! Supporting Addict

Oct 12, 2011
    My LGS has been in the same spot for 25 years... He has it for sale .. ( he's getting old and just want's to fish ) In talking with him about buying it
    he gave me some good advise...
    " Son... If ya wanna make a MILLION bucks in the gun store business..... ya start out with TWO MILLION.... and ya get out when ya got a MILLION left.... "

So I still haven't bought it....
    I get deals from him because I fix alot of things around his building for him for free or materials only but I have to say his prices are on the high side..

I find more deals on long guns at the LGS than I do on Pistols....

19. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011

LOL!

Don't ever let your hobby get in the way of making a buck! :nod:

If your SERIOUS about making a living selling guns,you can't be a hobbyist.It's all or none.

One,or the other.

Ask CJ. :biggrin1:

20. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I used to have 7 amazing aquariums in my home. I'm down to one, and thinking about selling it. I hate to agree with that sentiment, but it sure has been my experience.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted