1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own several AR's and similar rifles (SCAR), etc. Due to right eye issues, I'm trying to learn to shoot left-handed. I'm looking for suggestions for a high quality LH rifle. Some of the controls can be RH or ambi, the main thing I'm looking for is LH ejection. I would consider just uppers as well. Calibers open, .223, .300 blackout, etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OP, likewise I’m right handed but with right eye issues. Over the last few years I’ve taught myself to shoot long guns leftie, to the point now that if I pick up a rifle as a rightie, it feels wrong.

I looked at LH AR’s, but eventually stayed with the RH layout. My worry was buying into a platform with limited manufacturers and “specialized”, ie expensive, parts.

From my experience, the standard AR layout is actually very easy as a leftie. My only changes to mil-spec were an ambi safety, ambi charging handle, and an oversized bolt release (can reach with my left hand without coming off the grip). Had no issues with brass hitting me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
OP, likewise I’m right handed but with right eye issues. Over the last few years I’ve taught myself to shoot long guns leftie, to the point now that if I pick up a rifle as a rightie, it feels wrong.

I looked at LH AR’s, but eventually stayed with the RH layout. My worry was buying into a platform with limited manufacturers and “specialized”, ie expensive, parts.

From my experience, the standard AR layout is actually very easy as a leftie. My only changes to mil-spec were an ambi safety, ambi charging handle, and an oversized bolt release (can reach with my right hand without coming off the grip). Had no
This, Left Hand Guns where created by Right Hand People. Theres really not much need.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I am left eye dominant and shoot from the left shoulder. I have never seen a need for a "left hand" AR. The only complaint I have is the forward assist has opened up my lip on a few occasions when shooting prone sling at 1000 yards on low light days, when, to get enough contrast in sight picture to shoot consistently, I have had to get my eyeball right up on the sight aperture. My aperture is much smaller however than the as issued daylight aperture on a stock AR.

One more thing, in teaching the SDM course, I have observed students that choose to shoot from the left shoulder are not issued special rifles or training, since there is no reason for special training on how to handle the AR from the left shoulder, nor is there any reason for any left hand devices. The rifle is ambidextrous. Some might say it actually accommodates the left hand shooter better than a right hand shooter. That's how I see it.

I think the folks marketing lefty AR's like Stag are exploiting the perceived usefulness of a left handed gun. I don't think the reality of it all has any real benefit. There are however some consequences such as the left handed dust cover, which opens up rather than down, might not open fully when certain sights are mounted to the upper.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. For the time being, I'm only going put an ambi charging handle on my POF and work on LH manipulation. I'm also having them put a lighter rail on the rifle. I'm also going to work on some basic stuff with my Ruger 10/22 so I don't go broke practicing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, guys. For the time being, I'm only going put an ambi charging handle on my POF and work on LH manipulation. I'm also having them put a lighter rail on the rifle. I'm also going to work on some basic stuff with my Ruger 10/22 so I don't go broke practicing.
If your going to buy a LH gun buy all the LH parts required NOW. You might have a harx time finding them in years to come and prices will be more than RH guns.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot a pistol right handed but shoot a rifle (or shotgun) left handed.

I considered buying a "left handed" AR15 but to be honest I think the AR lends itself very well to left handed shooting. I find the controls to be easy to operate and mag changes are good.

The only negative for me has been gas/oil/debris from the ejection port getting on my face and glasses. A bit of a hassle but not enough to justify buying a left-hand only AR.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks, guys. I'm also going to work on some basic stuff with my Ruger 10/22 so I don't go broke practicing.
Any chance you have a 22 conversion for your AR?? That way you could practice with most of the same functions and "controls". I like to use mine with CCI Mini Mags.

Just be mindful of how dirty 22lr ammo can be and plan your face and eye protection accordingly.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This, Left Hand Guns where created by Right Hand People. Theres really not much need.
To leftie-fy my AR, I found i needed an oversized bolt-release, but didn’t want to start pulling bits and pieces out of my brand new Daniel Defense. So had to get creative....

I took a Magpul BAD lever and cut off the part that loops through the trigger guard, and then 2 minutes to attach to the factory paddle. With this I can now manipulate the bolt catch while still keeping a full grip.

IMG_8643.jpg

IMG_8644.jpg

·
Banned
393 Posts
I feel ya, you can try all the mag release and bolt lock extenders but they don't always work right and can be awkward.
Best bet is to get a truly left handed or ambidextrous rifle such as LWRC (worth every dime)
https://xtremegunsandammo.com/shop/free-shipping/lwrc-m6-ic-lower-receiver/

lwrc-m6-ic-lower.jpg

or the Smith and Wesson MP 10 which is fully ambidextrous AR 10 in the 308/7.62x51 mm

11532_03_lg.jpg

I know they are not cheap but I gave you the link to just the lower for the LWRC, you can snap on any AR and it works smooth as butter. That way you don't have to buy a whole rifle.

That web site in above link also has great customer service, they answer the phone, return emails, and if you call and tell them you are on the fence trying to decide they throw in a discount and give you that gentle push that you need to whip out the credit card...don't ask me how I know this... 832-363-3783 ask for Rick

·
Banned
393 Posts
I own several AR's and similar rifles (SCAR), etc. Due to right eye issues, I'm trying to learn to shoot left-handed. I'm looking for suggestions for a high quality LH rifle. Some of the controls can be RH or ambi, the main thing I'm looking for is LH ejection. I would consider just uppers as well. Calibers open, .223, .300 blackout, etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
left hand ejection is hard but i posted some info on fully ambidextrous models...i have never been hit in face by right hand ejection models when shooting left handed, might just be lucky, idk just saying

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for a bunch of good ideas. I'm going to check around and see if any of my shooting buddies just might have a leftie. I'd like to try one before I "pull the trigger", so to speak!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts