1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you consider to be a reasonable life expeactancy of a 1911 in .45 shooting hard ball or handload equivalent. I know small parts like springs, extractors and other items may need to be replaced along the way. How many rounds can the slide and frame take provided the gun is well maintained? For point of reference we are talking about a quality 1911 made by colt, springfield or kimber.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Properly lubricated, cleaned and maintained the gun will outlast you and your grand children. The barrel should last approximately 50,000 rounds +/-, depending on the barrel, luck and ammo

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Our 70 Series used for IPSC went past 50,000. When you push the lifespan, you do get frame cracks typically.

The current generation of quality 1911s like Baer, Nighthawk, etc who use their own parts, I couldn't say. These are much higher quality than Colt or Springfield.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does anybody know if the extra steel in the rail forward the slide stop would extend the life of the frame?

·
Registered
219 Posts
What about aluminum-frame 1911s? How much shelf-life does one give up to save 1/2 lbs.? And, to make it more complicated, what about aluminum-framed 9mm 1911s?

If it is felt that this isn't relevant to the OP, please disregard my post.

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Does anybody know if the extra steel in the rail forward the slide stop would extend the life of the frame?
Nope, but the cracks can be fixed. When mine cracked, I had them welded, milled and then hard chrome put back on them. Typically I passed them down to novices with the knowledge of that fix at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aluminum frames, I've heard 5,000 rounds, don't remember where I heard it. Might be internet rumors. But, I cracked a new LW Commander frame at about 300 rounds after it had been built as a C&S Adventurer, maybe not a fair comparison.

I won't do aluminum, just not "me". I like the weight, steel & blue.

Jim

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sweeney has a colt that I think he sent in for a rebuild after it passed 100k rds. He wrote in his book of people that had higher counts than that.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Properly cared for and not battered by large amounts of +P type ammo they'll go over 100k
I've got a couple of 40 plus year old ones that have that many on the frame and slides. Barrels and small parts have been replaced.
Also split a slide on a commander under the disco groove after about 20K (steel Commander) New slide and it's still going. again 40 plus years old.

Todays steel is better than even 30-40 years ago and so are the manufacturing techniques, so hopefully newer guns should last longer.

SHOOT the dog out of it , lube it and shoot it some more. Let us know when you hit a 100K
Think of it this way. 150 rounds practice and 150 round match = 300 at week times 45 weeks cause you'll miss a few is 13.5K a year. Go try and wear your gun out.

Buying the gun is the cheapest part of the whole exercise. Feeding it, is what costs!!! Especially these days!

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Sweeney has a colt that I think he sent in for a rebuild after it passed 100k rds. He wrote in his book of people that had higher counts than that.
Really depends on what you're shooting in them. Our old IPSC loads were hot to make sure they put down irregularly set up pepper poppers that determined power factor in those days. But I also had an Irv Stone recoil buffer in all my Colts that did extend the frame life. Sadly no one makes any kind of a copy.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My 70's era LW Commander had about 15k in ball and way over 1k of the old flying ashtray jhp through it. Finally cracked the frame at the takedown pin.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Really want to get into longevity, some of the rumors on the round count on the H.O.S.S. prototype are crazy.
Jardine’s personal Valtro has close to or perhaps over a million rounds on it now, it was several hundred thousand a couple years back when we talked about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
559 Posts
An FN Fan discussing a 1911? (Gasp!!!) ;)
I know right? My Dad's T series HiPo went to my brother so I could keep his 3.5 M27 and my .40 went to my baby boy when he got back from his 5th deployment. You've found me out! :unsure:

Reactions: Uncle Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most people aren't properly caring for their guns in terms of spring weights and change intervals. Most people seem to run their guns too dry or with less than perfect lubes. Even so, I would expect a govt size to need frame fit to need a rebuild around 80k and probably more like 50k. Barrel fit would probably be somewhat significant around the bushing and hood at 50k, but I wouldn't expect lug wear to be as significant. Barrel wear would necessitate a new barrel before fit gets to be too sloppy. Couldn't hurt to consider an oversized slide stop pin somewhere in the service plan.

A sloppy 1911 takes the fun out of it, but I do think it'll shoot well past 100k if asked.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts