1911 Firearm Addicts banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have seen/handled a 1911 that had over 250K round through it. The gun was the definition of a tool and while not babied at all it was maintained as needed, which at times included a new slide, barrel, etc.

I personally own guns that I have shot 30K, 60K, and 65K through and I have a client with a gun of mine that has seen even more.... these are all steel frames and all still serviceable.

The gun will last a loooooong time especially shooting 230gr at a nominal 850fps, which in the grand scheme of things is a relatively mild load.

·
Premium Member
6,974 Posts
The first HOSS that Alex Zimmerman designed at guncrafter. Heck of an overengineered 1911.
If the area around the slide
Most people aren't properly caring for their guns in terms of spring weights and change intervals. Most people seem to run their guns too dry or with less than perfect lubes. Even so, I would expect a govt size to need frame fit to need a rebuild around 80k and probably more like 50k. Barrel fit would probably be somewhat significant around the bushing and hood at 50k, but I wouldn't expect lug wear to be as significant. Barrel wear would necessitate a new barrel before fit gets to be too sloppy. Couldn't hurt to consider an oversized slide stop pin somewhere in the service plan.

A sloppy 1911 takes the fun out of it, but I do think it'll shoot well past 100k if asked.
My Essex was a rattle trap, but it still shot 3" at 50 yards.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've seen plenty of people with over 100k rounds though theirs. Not sure how many rounds the military 1911s went through, but probably a lot as well. As far as aluminum frame, it will last a lot more than 5000 rounds. With either frame type, you can preserve it a bit more by using recoil buffers.

·
Premium Member
6,974 Posts
I've seen plenty of people with over 100k rounds though theirs. Not sure how many rounds the military 1911s went through, but probably a lot as well. As far as aluminum frame, it will last a lot more than 5000 rounds. With either frame type, you can preserve it a bit more by using recoil buffers.
Original 1911s were soft by comparison. Life span wasn't great. Old friend that did 1911A1s in NAM, said they rebuilt them after 25,000 rounds. I've had a 1911 and I currently own a Colt 1911A1. I do shoot the A1, but I use it sparingly.

Current commercial products that I've owned since 1977, I'll shoot unsparingly and I have worn out some series 70 (frame crack). We guestmated around 90,000 rounds for my first series 70 till frame crack.

·
In Kentucky
9,714 Posts
My Hoag pistol has just over 100,000 roumds. At 50,000 I sent it back for tune up. He replaced barrel bushing and ignition parts and charged all the springs. I had approximately a few thousand on springs. This was built using factory colt parts. I've read some frames on muesoc 45s have half a million rounds on them.

Reactions: Dub

·
Premium Member
6,974 Posts
My Hoag pistol has just over 100,000 roumds. At 50,000 I sent it back for tune up. He replaced barrel bushing and ignition parts and charged all the springs. I had approximately a few thousand on springs. This was built using factory colt parts. I've read some frames on muesoc 45s have half a million rounds on them.
A Hoag is a Hoag! Still trying to talk a friend out of his (I know the mileage on it). ;)

1/2 million? Wouldn't bet on it unless that includes repair and rebuilds including cracks.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I have an old RIA .45 that has gone over 60k and I bought it used in a Reno pawn store and is now in the possession of my son. It is an absolute rattle trap but has never had more than springs replaced. I have a few other 1911's over 10k, but the RIA has been an interesting experience.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
What about aluminum-frame 1911s? How much shelf-life does one give up to save 1/2 lbs.? And, to make it more complicated, what about aluminum-framed 9mm 1911s?

If it is felt that this isn't relevant to the OP, please disregard my post.
I have a 9mm Guardian I got last year that I'm coming up on 10k rounds with. Anodizing wore in 2 small spots on the left rail during the initial break in. It hasn't changed since. The pistol is a little looser than a steel frame would be, but it shoots really good. Bushing is tight. I thought about accu-rails, but I imagine this thing will run a long long time just the way it is. Stay tuned because I'm determined to find out how far it will go. Not something to worry about, IMO.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What would you consider to be a reasonable life expeactancy of a 1911 in .45 shooting hard ball or handload equivalent. I know small parts like springs, extractors and other items may need to be replaced along the way. How many rounds can the slide and frame take provided the gun is well maintained? For point of reference we are talking about a quality 1911 made by colt, springfield or kimber.
Assuming proper maintenance as stated - I would expect my Guncrafter No Name to reach the end of its useful like in about 100 - 150 years with moderate use.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 9mm Guardian I got last year that I'm coming up on 10k rounds with. Anodizing wore in 2 small spots on the left rail during the initial break in. It hasn't changed since. The pistol is a little looser than a steel frame would be, but it shoots really good. Bushing is tight. I thought about accu-rails, but I imagine this thing will run a long long time just the way it is. Stay tuned because I'm determined to find out how far it will go. Not something to worry about, IMO.
Yup, I have a 9mm Wilson CCO with aluminum frame that is second-hand and I have put at least 10K through it. As you said, it's a bit loose (when it needs a bit of oil) but it's 100% reliable and shoots great. I'm just wondering when I'm going to have to buy a second one so that I can send this one in for service.

·
What me worry ?
11,945 Posts
What would you consider to be a reasonable life expeactancy of a 1911 in .45 shooting hard ball or handload equivalent. I know small parts like springs, extractors and other items may need to be replaced along the way. How many rounds can the slide and frame take provided the gun is well maintained? For point of reference we are talking about a quality 1911 made by colt, springfield or kimber.
Sir , please Be consoled in the knowledge you are dealing with a pistol designed to withstand the rigors of War , be abused to the extreme and still function . Your dealing with a piece of steel ,not some plastic POS .
Question not , JMBs design was made to be used by manly men and save their lives at any given moment!
Therefore to answer your question on the longevity of this platform, you’ll be long dead before you have to be concerned about it .

·
Registered
31 Posts
You also need to figure that 50K rounds cost far more than a top of the line 1911. At $25 a box of 50, 50K rounds would cost you $25,000!

If you look around this site, you'll find folks posting pic's of their (1911 brand name here) pistol with 30K, 40K, 50K etc. rounds through them and they're doing just fine. Go buy the 1911 of your choice and shoot the heck out of it!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Sir , please Be consoled in the knowledge you are dealing with a pistol designed to withstand the rigors of War , be abused to the extreme and still function . Your dealing with a piece of steel ,not some plastic POS .
Question not , JMBs design was made to be used by manly men and save their lives at any given moment!
Therefore to answer your question on the longevity of this platform, you’ll be long dead before you have to be concerned about it .
I disagree with you to some degree. Yes, the 1911 was a pistol designed for the "rigors of war" a long time ago. They were also much looser than the modern 1911 and could probably handle a little more dirt/sand getting in there. I currently EDC a 1911, but if I'm going to war I will take a Glock all day every day. IMO, Glock, HK, FN, whatever plastic fantastic are the tougher less finicky pistols made for the modern warfighter.

·
What me worry ?
11,945 Posts
I disagree with you to some degree. Yes, the 1911 was a pistol designed for the "rigors of war" a long time ago. They were also much looser than the modern 1911 and could probably handle a little more dirt/sand getting in there. I currently EDC a 1911, but if I'm going to war I will take a Glock all day every day. IMO, Glock, HK, FN, whatever plastic fantastic are the tougher less finicky pistols made for the modern warfighter.
Glucks = austroFrenchmen Hippies- pull up your dress , be an American or those
Frenchmen will make you go to war with an ax and a little white hat ! All day everyday !
(Damn guy already showing signs of Frenchitis)
Next thing ya know he’s going to change his “ nom Deplumb” to axman556. 😗

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Id have to disagree with you on that position.

Currently I have been shooting a Jardine full house custom built 25 years ago on a SA frame and slide, that gun has seen 50,000 plus rounds with the first owner, carried on duty by a homocide cop for his full career, shot on and off duty, training, qualifications etc. That gun is still bank vault tight and shooting mulitple bullseyes at 25 yards in my hands as of 4 weeks ago in a two day Pannone class. Original frame, slide and still on its first Kart barrel.

My first Rogers custom build on a Colt, on its second barrel but still bank vault tight and more accurate than me or most folks.

No way in hell I would carry a glock into war. No way I would carry anything but a 1911 in or out of harms way - just me though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bill Wilson says a properly built 1911 45 should run 250,000 rounds before major work is needed.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts