Light Recoil 9mm

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by razorbacker, Apr 27, 2019.

1. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Going to transition a young teenager from .22 to some 9mm in the near future. Any recommendations for the mildest factory target ammo in 9mm. I have no experience with poly but understand there are some mild offerings in some of the poly ammo. Recommendations?

2. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    I don’t know which might be the mildest but I think you should be ok with any basic 9mm ammo. Over the last 30 years I’ve had first time shooters from pre-teen to early 60’s do just fine with Winchester and UMC 115g ammo.

41 Charlie and Old Sea Dragon like this.

3. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I'd start out with Federal American Eagle 115 grain. Whatever I started with would be 115's. The only problem with 115's is unless the spring on your gun has seen quite a few rounds, say 800-1000 rounds, the 115's might not have enough power to cycle real reliably. From what little I've shot it, I don't really see a difference in poly or fmj except poly leaves poly shavings in some guns for you to have to clean out. GL,

BCD 45

4. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    I'd use 115 grn. ammo in a heavy gun like a 5 inch all steel 1911 .

41 Charlie, unclebuck5, Dub and 2 others like this.
  5. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    I reload all my ammo, so I can't give you a specific brand based on my own experience, only based on what I hear ....but check the ammo boxes ...and in general I would suggest a lighter bullet ( 115gr in 9mm )... and if the box gives you velocity, pick the ammo with the lowest velocity.

Friends that buy 9mm ammo ....seem to be having the best luck with Federal white box or Blazer brass...One in particular that seems to have more recoil than most is MagTech so I would stay away from that.

If you have a good range in your area that sells a lot of ammo...they should be able to tell you what they hear from customers.

I don't know anything about poly ammo...

With all of my grandkids ...one of the biggest factors in how they perceive recoil ...is from flash & muzzle blast...so I made sure they doubled up on ear protection....good foam ear plugs ...and good ear muffs over them. Using a heavier gun ...like a 5" steel 1911...is better than lighter alloy frame guns or poly frame guns....but I always stayed with single stack guns too...so we had a chance of a better grip vs all the double stacks.../ ...and the longer barrel for a longer sight plane ...its all about early success with new shooters.

The best guns I used ...that kids liked the best....( all 9mm )
    5" stainless 1911...
    Sig 239 - alloy frame ( obsolete model now )...
    4" alloy frame 1911...

I would lay all 3 on bench...let them dry fire all 3 ...and let them pick what they liked ...let them select the gun grip they liked the best, the weight that suited them, etc....my reloads were 115gr FMJ at around 1000 fps ...using Hodgdon Univ powder ...& a supply of zombie targets or whatever was cool then....

Dub and gps man like this.
  6. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    Excellent suggestion. My go to for new shooters used to be a Beretta
    92FS and now it’s 1911.

techiede likes this.
  7. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I think the type and weight of the gun has more to do with felt recoil than any particular brand ammo will make.
    Or step to 22mag or 380acp if you have one available to try.
    I tried my wife with a full size poly gun CZ clone to try a 9mm and she did not like it went back down to 380acp

unclebuck5 and john_anch_ak like this.
  8. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    echoing above, any 9mm in an all steel full sized gun.

Old Sea Dragon and unclebuck5 like this.
  9. farnorth

farnorth Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Leave the compact /sub compact at home if at all possible. Some new shooters are hesistant to pick up" the big guns" and falsley associate smaller size/ appearance with a pleasant shooting experience.

Any normal factory load out of a full size steel pistol or 2011 is a good choice. If they are extremely recoil sensitive attach a light, if rail equipped and available. Or borrow your mall ninja buddy's Roland special or a gamer's open pistol if you have access.

10. sidewaysil80

sidewaysil80 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 29, 2014
    You don't want 115 if you want the lightest load. You want a 147gr, the heavier bullet the lighter the recoil impulse due to the lower velocity.

I shoot USPSA/IDPA regularly and before I started handloading, I was using Speer Lawman 147gr. I believe it's advertised velocity is around 900-1000fps. That was the cheapest and lowest velocity factory ammo that I used. No issues with reliability or anything.

As far as poly coated ammo, it will always have a lower velocity than a jacketed bullet with the same charge behind it. Since the poly coating is thinner/doesn't expand as jacketed bullet, it has less pressure as it travels through the lands/grooves of the barrel. Thus it has a lower velocity and lighter recoil impulse.

Additionally it is by and large cheaper than a jacketed bullet. However I would avoid production coated bullets. They are cheaper to make yet they charge you more money. For example Speer Lawman 147gr is much cheaper than Federal Syntech 147gr and I believe the difference in FPS is negligible.

gps man likes this.
  11. Mackey

Mackey New Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Male or Fmale teenager? I would suggest a full size steel pistol.

12. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Ain't so.

BCD 45

13. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    From Lucky Gunner:
    If the lighter bullets were pushed to the same velocity as the heavier bullets then simple physics would dictate that the recoil impulse would be reduced. But as I mentioned earlier, lighter bullets are usually loaded to fly at greater velocities in order to make up for their low mass. In fact, a high velocity light bullet might even have more recoil than a heavier bullet that’s moving slower. Or… the heavier bullet could have more recoil depending on the load. For example, if the cartridge has a fast burning propelllant, the recoil could hit you all at once, translating to a sharp snap against your hand or shoulder. A slow burning powder might distribute the recoil force over a longer period which feels like softer recoil. There is really just no way to determine what recoil is going to feel like by looking at bullet weight alone.

BCD 45

BigJimP and unclebuck5 like this.
  14. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Some good info and thoughts fellows. The shooter is my 14 yo daughter who is Annie Oakley with the .22s. I have no .380s in the safe, personally never been a .380 believer. I will have her start on a heavy steel 5" 9mm, either a CZ Shadow2 or DW PM9. Just handling and a few dry fires she says the PM9 "feels" better. I'll read up a little more on velocities of 115 and some 147s then do a little experimenting before she starts any live fire. Again thanks.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    41 Charlie and gps man like this.
  15. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    PM 9 , she's got good instincts .

gps man, farnorth and razorbacker like this.
  16. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    I don't belief with the PM 9 that it's going to matter what grain of FMJ that she uses. As said before, just make darn sure her ears are protected well or she could develop a flinch. Good eye and ear protection is far more important than the grain of ammo.

BCD 45

limbkiller, BigJimP and BigSkyGuy like this.
  17. BigSkyGuy

BigSkyGuy Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2018
    Solid advice!

18. pcso13

pcso13 Happiness is a range in your backyard

Nov 25, 2018
    I recently bought some 9mm 147 grain -P ammo from Dynamic Munitions. They call them "slow pokes". This was by far the lightest recoil in any 9mm ammo I have ever shot. To be honest I didn't expect to be able to tell much difference, but this stuff shocked me at how light the recoil was. First time I'd even heard of Dynamic Munitions but I give them a big thumbs up.

razorbacker and gps man like this.
  19. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    Again, if her ears are really protected from the blast, the recoil won't bother her. I'd start her out with good properly fitting ear plugs covered with good ear muffs.

BCD 45

razorbacker and gps man like this.
  20. DR_Diesel

DR_Diesel Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2019
    @razorbacker please let us know what feedback she provides as I am getting ready to take the kids out there myself have a 12 yo boy and 10yo twin girls. Never thought about a PM9 was going to let them select between a stock Glock 17 or a Beretta 92fs with trigger work done by Josh @Allegheny Gun Works. I have a PM9 in the safe so may just lay all 3 guns on the table and see what they choose.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted