Lightweight 45s and hands

Discussion in 'Training' started by p7fl, May 9, 2020.

1. Glock2740

Glock2740 1911 addict Staff Member Moderator

Aug 16, 2011
    My favorite go to CC guns...
    G30S .45
    LW CCO Colt .45
    WC ULCc .45

All using Speer 200+P Gold Dots

simonp likes this.
  2. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    one of my favorites is to wear the half-finger gloves built for bicycle riding - gel pads in the palms. Work like a charm and reasonably priced compared to a lot of things.

gps man likes this.

3. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I've got a deal working for a local Defender. Wears the plain 3-dot sights and the infamous Pacamyer grips, but both are easily changed. I understand some people use the Kimber spring arrangement rather than Colt's. Guess that's a strip it and see how much of a PIA the OEM part is first.

It's coming from a safe packer so it's pristine cosmetically and likely seen little shooting. $800 pleases me as i've got mags, etc. and a nice supply of someone's aforementioned light Bullseye loads!

4. pistolpete

pistolpete Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Shoot 25 rounds of 240 44 mags in your model 29 before shooting the lightweight 1911s, it'll be okay!.

Dub and simonp like this.
  5. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Adapt and overcome, or suffer.
    Switch to LW 9mm 1911/2011.

switchback and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  6. djc

djc Active Member

Jul 1, 2013
    It also comes as a topical gel. Now an otc product named Voltaren Gel

7. rjinaz85308

rjinaz85308 North Central AZ Grasslands Supporting Addict

Jul 27, 2012
    Dub, switchback, monster and 2 others like this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Carried a Colt LWC for years until my brother borrowed it and I never got it back. I moved onto a Combat Commander. I'm the same age and after shooting really warm.IPSC loads, I went LWC in 9mm.

Question I'd ask are you shooting triangulated or using the Weaver? Weaver can be more punishing at our age. I still use it with 5" Governments and my LWC, but there are sidearms I shoot triangulated because it's less abusive.

I do have arthritis problems, to darn many years of competing with the old " warm" 45acp power factor loads.

If you can't find a solution, switch to 9mm. Only caveat is placing your shots under pressure is even more important even with the newer ammo.

switchback and gaijin like this.
  9. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    PS if someone ever offers to let you try a Simmerling.... DON'T!!

p7fl likes this.
  10. p7fl

p7fl Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Simmerling. No. But I have a Seecamp .380 that I will never ever shoot again. :)
    Would sell but it has my initials as the serial number.

Uncle Bob likes this.
  11. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    HA! Never liked the Seecamps. I have shot several. Simmerling.. just think of holding your hand out palm facing forward.... then have Reggie Jackson take a swing at your hand. They are punishing but Mike Harries was crazy enough to shoot "The International" with it, including targets are 25 yards. He did moderately well. I shot his twice.. that was enough! :)

12. bonjorno2

bonjorno2 Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Gloves may help. I am still in my 30s so hopefully I can be as sharp as you if I live that long.

13. Beau Etienne

Beau Etienne Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I feel your pain. I have Dupuytren's contracturer and have painful thick cords growing in both palms pulling my fingers in toward my palm.
    Since you didn't mention that you reload, loading light is out, right? That's my ticket with 1911s.
    The most comfortable shooting 45acp I have is a full size S&W M&P 45-2. It handles all loads well despite it's light weight and has the various back-strap grip adapters to choose from. M-Carbo makes a trigger kit that makes for a pretty nice pull.
    Good luck figuring it out.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  14. p7fl

p7fl Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Thank you all for some very good advice.

No, I don’t load, too late and no room after downsize to start now.

Gloves are out. The Colt CCOs are for every day carry and I don’t believe they would look quite right wearing them to the beach in South Florida.

Stance is learned turtle, it took me forever to square up and escape the angled stance I used for point fighting in the martial arts. Kyle Lamb, Hilton, Louis A, and Randy Cain etc etc have all drilled the angle out of my shooting.

I carried a BHP, then P7s for years before going to a 1911. Then a 1911 in 9mm for competition and classes. Recently tried Glock 19s for 2 years and never really got competent no matter how much I tried. Now working on 2 EDC x9s, so my hand pain has gone away.

But…. I really like Colt Gunsite CCOs in .45 and would like the option of practicing with them without the after effects.

Only people in forums this would understand. :):)

jon

15. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I have a lightweight Springfield Champion Operator I haven’t shot in six years. I may never shoot it again. Aggravated the arthritis in my hands. I find it way more beneficial to just wear a heavy belt and carry the weight of an all steel gun. I also have been purchasing 38 Supers the past few years and they are sweet indeed. Full power loads inspire a heavy degree of confidence. I have not given up on the 45 at all but the one thing I do not want to do is accelerate the wear of my dominant hand.

16. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Before selling all the 45s, try some Federal Syntech. Not only is it very soft shooting, it leaves your gun relatively clean.

Trouble is like other ammo it might be hard to find at an affordable price.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I bought a 1911 in .45 because the 9mm and 38 Superb made my grip lazy... A full size 1911 in 9mm is very forgiving grip wise.

I got it because when I shot my friend's 10mm or 45, well, I sucked. I don't know if this will help the OP with pain, but I shoot the .45 MUCH better after a few things. As posted above, Turmeric helps. I suspect I am getting arthritis in my hands, and this helps a lot, natural supplement and all that. I also use one of these for grip: https://prohands.net/collections/frontpage/products/pro?variant=15249004625979

OP said they work out, so this may not help, but I have found holding weights out in my shooting stance helps, also bicep and triceps exercises.

I don't own a LW 45, but this has helped me a lot with the 45, and also the sub calibers.

Old Sea Dragon and Whiten like this.
  18. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Federal RTP white box 230 grain seems to shoot softer for me. CCI Blazer brass, which I shot today, seems significantly hotter. Arms or USA is also softer

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted