1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting back into LE part time, which may or may not be an excuse to get another 1911. I love my Staccato P, but I don’t see myself schlepping that around for hours on end. I own numerous Glocks, but I want something a little different this time around.

What are my options for a lightweight 9mm commander in the <$1500 range. I’ve tried finding a Wiley Clapp because I own the full-size .45, but they’re sold out everywhere. I’m not looking to have any work done on it beyond simple stuff like swapping out a few parts.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I would just carry the Staccato P if I was a LE. This is when I would want more rounds in a firearm.

Reactions: Greg6640 and simonp

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll trade rounds for weight. I’ve carried as a duty gun everything under the sun except a revolver. Even a 4506...very briefly. Weight becomes a big factor. The Guardian looks promising. I wouldn’t feel undergunned with 3 10 round mags, as long as I can shoot it well.

That bobtail would be nice for getting in and out of the car. I still might just carry a Glock because I don’t care if it gets beat up, but I definitely shoot 1911s better - that’s coming from a lifelong Glock guy.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
The Guardian is a fine pistol, I had one in 9mm myself. Look for the 2020 model as it has the mainspring housing checkered, the older ones are smooth.

Reactions: NIU2009

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
309 Posts
Another Guardian owner, mine is built as 38S but I have a 9mm tube fitted shot a couple of times and on the shelf. The 38Super I load and is my daily carry.

·
Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium
1,323 Posts
I would like to recommend the Colt CCU CCO. This one is mine.

And this is how it shoots compared to my GI Hellcat 9mm and my Staccato C

This has become the one I carry most frequently. I like the magwell. The fit and finish is VERY good. The thumb safety was stiff for quite some time, but it has broken in over the last several months. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd just wait it out and get a Wiley Clapp 9mm or go up a little in price and get a Combat Unit LWT in 9mm.

Nothing wrong with a Dan Wesson as well. I want to say they are fantastic pistols for the price, but they have slowly increased prices on it over the years. If you can find a deal, definitely pick one up!

For duty use, why not go for a steel frame though?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts