Lightweight Government

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Whiten, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Just picked this Springfield up for a EDC carry build. I've been looking for a Lightweight government to cut the weight down some. I tried commanders and CCOs but always come back to full size pistols. I picked this one up new in box, think it was made in the 90s. I'm going to call Springfield for the born on date.

F10AA681-FCEE-4593-9585-00F76AFABAFA.jpeg E2163F15-A3C6-4EF7-94E4-10E5CA28F63F.jpeg 8D64F890-11CE-4727-9DF0-957453545209.jpeg 418BFA6B-32ED-4D7A-A8B2-5A4C6E604B17.jpeg EA8B890E-95A1-43DE-8151-AA38032F9B5A.jpeg

2. Spokes

Spokes Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 18, 2011
    Did not know they made a lightweight full size 1911...Good looking pistol. I am sure you will like it...

switchback, Whiten and Integrity Arms like this.

3. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    They did, but they are pretty hard to come by, I had a Lightweight Operator and a TRP operator at the same time at one point and because they were so similar I parted with the Lightweight.. I have regretted it every since tbh.. One of the best shooting factory pistols I ever owned.

Whiten and Spokes like this.
  4. BCD 45

BCD 45 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2019
    If this doesn't work out, take a look at a DW Vigil 5". They are pretty awesome LW firearms with a very good trigger & an awesome shooter.

gun_fan111 likes this.
  5. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    The lightweights with a rail are easier to come by than non rail. Well at least it took me a while to find a nice one without a rail.

@BCD 45 I've had 5 or 6 Dan Wessons, just couldn't warm up to them.

I like this Springfield for the ramped barrel and 70 series.

switchback and Integrity Arms like this.
  6. newyork

newyork Well-Known Member

May 25, 2015
    My first 1911 was an SA LW govt no rail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badabing11, Whiten and Rick McC. like this.
  7. Rick McC.

Rick McC. Well-Known Member

May 3, 2013
    The only LW Government Model I’ve ever come across is this Colt.
    I liked it so much that I bought it twice. It's a funny story, though it didn’t seem funny at the time.

F6B7ABA7-8C5C-4094-BD3E-C4566E1ECEB5.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  8. dakota1911

dakota1911 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Colt had the LW Gov years ago. I think it was part of their old XSE line. I remember one sitting in a LGS for almost a year (under MSRP) before someone bought it.

switchback and Rick McC. like this.
  9. Rick McC.

May 3, 2013
    Here’s ”the rest of the story” on mine:

I liked it so much that I actually bought mine twice!

I was very happy with it, but didn’t carry it that often, so it became one of two pistols that I sold to buy a Triumph Bonnieville motorcycle.

A few months later, I called the guy I sold it to about buying it back. He’d sold it to “his gunsmith” three days before, and gave me the guy’s number. I called the “smith,” who advised that he’d done “a lot of upgrades” for the previous owner, so it’d cost me quite a bit more than I’d sold it for.

I worked out a deal for a trade, plus some cash, and met the guy at his house that evening to pick it up, where he met me in the carport, with no lights turned on. I opened the Colt box, saw that it was my pistol, and left. The next morning, I got to checking things out, and saw that it was the wrong box, it was the wrong mags, most of the W/C parts were drop-ins which replaced the original Colt parts (but they were stainless, so they looked “more cool” on the black pistol [really?]). Then, the W/C thumb safety that comes with a .002 oversized diameter pin for use in pistols that have experienced some wear (I knew that because I’ve fitted those myself before), obviously hadn’t been properly fit, as the thumb safety was hard to move, and I had a bit of a time removing it (it must have been driven into place with a rubber mallet, or on second thought, probably a claw hammer).

So, after the screaming cussfight with myself had subsided, and I could see again, I called up the guy that I’d sold it to, to see if he (maybe) had the correct box, magazines, and any of the original parts. Lo and behold; he had! I was able to get the box, both mags, and all of the original parts except the hammer, which he’d sold. A call to Brent Turchi, the Colt Custom Shop and Warranty Manager at the time, had the correct hammer on the way to me in short order.

So after a few months, and some mutilation by a couple of young guys who didn’t know any better; the Colt LW Government Model XSE came home, never to leave again!

A45GUNNER, Namloh2002, cgff and 5 others like this.
  10. Rick McC.

May 3, 2013
    I believe that I got mine the first time in 2012.

Badabing11 likes this.
  11. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    It is puzzling that more of these LW full size 1911s, especially in 9mm and 38 super, are not available. I definitely would bite if I came across the right gun.

Rick McC. and Whiten like this.
  12. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Thats near when I got mine. I recall your posts about your LW on toos, the story on mine is similar, but without the happy ending. I wasn't able to retrieve mine, "sold it yesterday" was the reply I received. I've made worse blunders, but not many the O model LW is a good platform

OP, I like that LW gov't springfield alot, hope it gives good performance - I'm betting that it will

Rick McC., Whiten and Badabing11 like this.
  13. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I got one the hard way. At the time SA Custom would have built me one but with long delivery.
    So I bought a Lightweight .45 and a Loaded Target 9mm and had FLG exchange the uppers. It was not a simple parts swap, a good deal of refitting was necessary, but it left me with a very handy 34 oz 5 inch 9mm for IDPA ESP and a stainless .45 to trade off.

14. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Shot one yesterday thought it would recoil more being the LW but it wasnt bad at all

Rick McC. likes this.
  15. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I broke it down to clean and lube also put med trigger/GI guide rod in. All I can say that it was dry as a bone. Well I finally got to run a few rounds through it. I must say I'm impressed with how it shot but not the finish. I have wear from holster on one range trip. The Wilson mags not much better as they was new to this range trip.

This lightweight is 1/2 pound lighter than my full steel ACW. This pistol will make a great carry gun after I get a smith to do some work on it.

I will add that it shot 4" low for me but the night sights are dead so that will be addressed with the correct white ball sight when built.

16. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Pics of range day but not targets. I will add no failure with ether pistol

0382FF39-B472-4D42-94A9-0CC6E6489AA6.jpeg BCE58409-41E9-468A-A519-4FF58D1B2A19.jpeg A5ABF737-F4D4-4175-9187-80C0DC568D40.jpeg 49D23408-F80D-4832-8BEB-AA21FC65B5BF.jpeg 01FD6040-F038-45C6-869C-6B750F3EF019.jpeg

A45GUNNER, cgff, TJC357 and 1 other person like this.
  17. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Whiten likes this.
  18. BigFootIn

BigFootIn Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Op its looks really nice. finding a brand new one is really cool.

Whiten likes this.
  19. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I got lucky finding a new old stock pistol from the late 90s. The coupon from Springfield ran out in 2002 for extra mags/parts.

20. BigFootIn

BigFootIn Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Still that is a damn good find, Enjoy shooting it.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted