Colt Little help identify J. Hoag work

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by aegiswa, Dec 29, 2018.

1. aegiswa

aegiswa Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Evening all - first I not familar with Jim Hoag's work other than pics I find on the web.
    But a local shop has a 1977 Combat Commander (looked up the serial number) that had some work done by Jim Hoag, it doesn't appear to be a full custom no checkered strap, MSH or squared/checked trigger guard. Shop has not let me field strip but I can see the J. Hoag in the underside of the slide through the mag-well.
    It does have the S&W K-frame rear sight, barrel accuracy block, lowed ejection port, Swenson ambi safety and a spur hammer ?? and hard chromed. They want $1799-
    Question: is it his work and if so is it a fair price?
    Thanks !!:)
    IMG_0354.jpeg

xerts1191 likes this.

2. aegiswa

Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks wheels - I failed to mention that there was a letter “T” monogram on the retention pin for the S&W sight - looks the same as my Swenson’s.

3. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Do they have any original paperwork on it?

Those grips aren’t original either.

IMO it’s missing quite a few features that would make it desirable for a collector, the price seems high to me.

simonp likes this.
  4. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Also just noticed the tag. 4’’ barrel and a “J. Hogue” gun. They clearly have a lot of knowledge,..... :rolleyes:

5. aegiswa

Feb 2, 2016
    They do not have any paper work for it; it was said that the individual that sold, was liquidating an inheritance and it threw away the box and paperwork weeks before.. This included the boxes for 2 pristine Colt Pythons the shop had purchased as well..

As for the shops knowledge they had someone who figured out it wasn't just a Combat Commander and put a high price on it due to some internet searching (speculation on my part) but not much more.. :rolleyes:

I too feel the price is somewhat high for what I see, I guess I'm just looking for validation..
    They did tell me to comeback today to field strip for closed inspection, I think I might just do it.

6. BradE

BradE Active Member

Jun 19, 2018
    There was a full custom on Gunbroker back in the April timeframe, it sold for under $2k. It had the squared guard, checkering, grips, etc. Given the lack of some desirable features and no documentation, I would not go higher than $1,200 on that piece. Even there, I wouldn’t feel great about it, because it won’t be an easy sale should you chose to go that route down the road.

Considering they have no idea what it is, I can guarantee you they aren’t into that gun for more than $1k. It was probably thrown in to get rid of them all if it was sold with a pair of Pythons.

7. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Looks like his work. But also looks like others work. He didn't always stamp J Hoag on every gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

8. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    My hard chrome commander wasn't stamped.

9. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL

Mar 11, 2013
    Without a squared trigger guard or paperwork, I’d let someone else take that chance.

10. straitR

straitR Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    The lack of paperwork devalues the gun. If you're unsure of its authenticity, as you should be, then so will the guy you're trying to sell it to later. The only way these guns sell is on a hope and prayer, that it IS in fact what the buyer wants it to be. At that price, I'd pass without papers.

11. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    That's definitely a Hoag beavertail. Not all his guns had squared trigger guards.

12. aegiswa

Feb 2, 2016
    Thanks all - I went back to see it field striped but they would not do it .. they quoted new policies and would not even remove the trigger lock to check the weight and feel.

I passed on it for now, I did have a talk with them on the need to document and have proper review and some type of verification before anyone would drop that kind of money on it.

13. straitR

straitR Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Rest assured, someone will buy it. They, as well as other gun sellers, know this. It's merely a matter of time.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted