Logo on My Colt 1911- What Does it Mean?

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Haris1, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Haris1

Haris1 Go Ahead, Make My Day! Supporting Addict Sponsor

Feb 6, 2015
    Fellow addicts, I thought this logo meant Yost Bonitz but someone said it has a military
    significance and not a connection to Yost Bonitz.

Anyone shed some light here?

[​IMG]
    Thanks

Haris

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    One asstorisk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Hallbert likes this.

3. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
    I believe YB used to offer that package. May still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Yost-Bonitz is no more. And that is the One Ass to Risk package. It's not the Elite package, as the rear sight would have been a Novak.

41 Charlie likes this.
  5. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Went to Yost Bonitz images . That logo is there on their guns .

6. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    I bought a 1* Elite years ago, my best buddy has it now

7. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    the Yost Bonitz logo, is a "YB". That 1* is the logo for a model of pistol they offered

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  8. Haris1

Feb 6, 2015
    Maybe its some street or reliabilty package.
    any ideas as to what its worth??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

samuse, 1L26, colrhino and 1 other person like this.
  9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Looks as if the gat had an ambi thumb safety at one time that’s been removed. Left some very evident marks o the right side.

10. ChuckC

Feb 2, 2016
    It could just be a cops gun

jkid1911 likes this.
  11. jkid1911

jkid1911 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2017
    That logo was adopted by the Yost-Bonitz shop to signify or represent a particular spec combination that they offered (originally specified for and as used by Law Enforcement Tactical Teams). The 1* logo was originally used by early SWAT teams. Regretfully I'm unaware of any military connection, all be it possible. It wouldn't be uncommon for a LEO to have his carry gun marked that way.

12. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    ChuckC likes this.
  13. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    You could check with Ted Yost, he might be able to tell you something about it. Are you planning to sell it?

14. theJanitor

Nov 14, 2014
    is the front strap serrated?

15. Haris1

Feb 6, 2015
    I dont know if its a phony or not. Looking at it doesnt speak to me of anything but then again a lot of gunsmithing is not visible on the surface. Yes, i am thinking of selling it and dont know if its a $1000 gun or a $2000 + gun.I probably should shoot it when i could record the grouping at 15 yards.

Front strap is not serrated or checkered

16. jkid1911

Jan 30, 2017
    I've done very extensive research on the Yost-Bonitz Guns over the past few years and only those guns that were built with a particular spec were allowed to be designated as a 1*, not to mention a 1* Elite. I realize no mention has been made of the Elite spec, but this gun is clearly lacking any of the custom features that would even bring it close to a 1* spec. Also, to the best of my knowledge and that I've been able to determine, no 1* guns ever left the shop without being marked on the frame with the Yost-Bonitz markings. I would bet the farm on the fact that this gun is not a Yost-Bonitz built gun.

However, I think phony is too strong a word for this gun. Although not likely a Yost-Bonitz built gun, the fact that this one is marked with the 1* doesn't detract from the fact that it's a nice Colt 1911 with a lot of character and likely some history as I'd guess it was marked as it is due to being an LEO gun. In the end a nice shooting 1911 with nice character is always worth having!

I certainly would be proud to own it....

41 Charlie likes this.
  17. jkid1911

Jan 30, 2017
    Here is an example of the 1* markings from the Yost-Bonitz shop which has been consistent on every one I've seen and differs considerably from this one.
    Typically Colts 1* were Gold or Silver filled and Springfields were left as you see this one. However, I have found some exception as this photo is from a Colt....
    Colt Yobo.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    41 Charlie likes this.
  18. jkid1911

Jan 30, 2017
    From my research and an excerpt about Gary Paul Johnston and the 1* logo:

"Gay Paul Johnston knows what it’s like to put your life on the line daily. He did it as a commander with the Shaker Heights Police Department, and tells the story of the creation of his 1* logo this way: “Back in 1986, my SWAT unit was fortunate during actual raids, but we seemed to average at least one minor injury per practice session. Other teams had similar problems, especially during SWAT competitions, so I decided to create something to remind everyone to be more careful. The idea for the 1* logo came from a joke I heard as a kid.” That joke has many variations, but perhaps the oldest version tells of the teacher in a one room schoolhouse who first covered the American history lesson, and then went on to grammar and punctuation. She asked, “Can anyone here use the word ‘asterisk’ in a sentence.” A boy’s hand immediately shot up, and he blurted, “We just covered that in the history lesson. It was patriot Nathan Hale who said, ‘I regret that I have only one-ass-to-risk for my country.’” Gary went on to design the logo in a shield shape similar to the U.S. Army’s Big Red 1. It not only looks sharp and reminds one to be careful, but it provides the important stress relieving element of humor to police, fire, medical emergency and military teams who find themselves operating in a high risk environment and living on the edge."

This should help explain why this gun or any other gun might carry the 1* logo unrelated to being customized by the Yost-Bonitz shop. Again, reinforcing my theory that this was an LEO gun. And again, I like it!

Old Sea Dragon and gun_fan111 like this.
  19. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    They can be found today on morale patches too. I have seen officers wearing them, particularly SWAT officers. I agree that this was likely a LEO
    gun.

jkid1911 likes this.
  20. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Agreed on a former leo pistol. Have a couple of friends retired from a larger pd, they were SWAT up to retirement and had that on their 1911s (original versions of the Colt Combat Elite fyi-the current crew all run plastic fantastic from what I've seen).

jkid1911 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted