Long Slide Wide Body .45...Pics!

Discussion in 'Chambers Custom Pistols - Obsessibly™ Accurate, Re' started by Joe C, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Greetings Everyone,

I hope this holiday season finds you all doing well. I have been very busy of late and this project is just one example of something different coming out of the shop. It was a project that was taken on because of the challenge. Build a long slide wide body on a Caspian frame and slide that would function with anything, and do it in a hurry...for a very particular client that will use it for duty.

With the help of Gary at Caspian the parts got here and I got started. It has buried and protected Tritium sights on the rear from KFS and a Tritium front that has been blended in my normal fashion. The slide has been stippled and Aztec pattern cut on top and stippled on the rear along with the ejector and extractor. The sides of the slide are a mirror with custom cut cocking serrations done here. I also bull nosed the slide and made a custom recoil plug that allows the use of standard length springs in the long slide as well as the solid recoil rod from EGW. The ball cuts on the slide were also done here as was all the hand bevels.

The frame came to me with the FS checkered but there were issues and it all had to be re-pointed up to get it as correct as possible. There ended up being a flaw in the front strap that became visible after bluing but it was something that simply could not be corrected in the case of this gun considering many factors. The arched MSH is hand checkered 30lpi. The trigger is a custom job as they only come square from Caspian and that simply wouldn't do for this project. This gun has my standard parts from Greider and C&S, those that aren't Caspian by necessity of it being a wide body. The frame is also one of the tactical wide dust cover models...pretty cool if you ask me.

The barrel is a Kart that I threaded and put on one of my tapered sleeve cones. This gun shoots...if only RR inserts were made for a wide body...at 25 yards it gets a bit boring...but hey, boring is good right? At least it is when it is a 1" hole! I shot about 400 rounds of various types of ammo through this gun with zero malfunctions. And that included Sierra 230g HP's, Gold Dots, Hornady XTP's in 185 and 230g as well as the ASYM 185g Barnes load, courtesy of Stan Chen.

And finally, the aweseome grips and engraved grip screws are from my friend Ed Strange at WickedGrips.com. They are box elder burl that were made specifically for this gun.

Well, that is about all for now. Feel free to leave your questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I hope you enjoy the pics. (And yes, the serial number was hidden at the new owners request).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CMG

CMG Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Very nice!

3. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    I do believe the new owner will be very pleased Joe. Fantastic work.

4. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    Not normally a wide body fan,......but I LIKE this one!

5. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    +1

Very nice Joe ! :applause:

DAT85

6. DRYHUMOR

DRYHUMOR Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Pretty bad ass.....:thumb:

7. LBC45

LBC45 In Therapy, no hope

Sep 8, 2011
    Great work, really nice wide body.

8. soylent green

soylent green people eater

Nov 17, 2011
    That things a BEAST!. I bet it's a blast to shoot. Nice work!

9. lsbbigdog

lsbbigdog Smiffin' ain't easy Sponsor

Aug 21, 2011
  10. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    OK Joe you asked for questions so here are a few.

Would you be able to show the threaded barrel and the cone that goes over it with the slide locked back? I'd love to see that. Feel free to PM or text it if you don't want it "out there".

Slide stop. Is that stock or did you do any contouring on it?

And for Ed....awesome brother. Awesome shoes and laces on there.

11. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Jason,

Unfortunately, no. This gun is ready to be shipped and I don't think there will be any more pics...but if there are I'll put it up here for you.

Regarding the slide stop, that is the Greider Tactical that I have been using for a couple of years now. It comes shaped just like that from Bob. It is probably my favorite one of all the ones I've tried.

12. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Gotcha Joe.

Regarding the "Joe Cone" as Mr. P-Dubs calls it...do you have a pic of one from another build?

13. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    Very nice, Joe.

14. EdS

EdS Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks Dead! You'd be surprised just how difficult it can be fitting a set across country!! hahah.... but the pics are gorgeous.. Joe did an amazing job! I hope "the client" is happy with it!

15. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Schütze

Aug 17, 2011
    nice looking pistol.. I like the slide stop as well.. Cheers.. Ron

16. SDM

SDM Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Awesome work Joe, the new owner will appreciate all of your hard work.

17. TSiWRX

TSiWRX Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I really can't stop drooling...... Wow.

18. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I really like the subtle radius of the lower part of the muzzle/guide rod plug area.

19. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 No longer a Newb!!!

Jun 8, 2012
    So double stacked? Kinda reminds me of a Desert Eagle.

20. IraG2362

IraG2362 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 3, 2011
    Amazing joe !!!!!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted