Long Term Project Tracker

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by zChambers, Mar 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. zChambers

zChambers ........... Supporting Addict

Jan 21, 2015
    Gents,

My first project gun tought me that things are much easier and less costly if I commit to a final design and options before setting files to steel. I'm away from home and my workbench a lot and because of this I spend a lot of time (months to years) conceptualizing builds. I've used a similar tracker to remind myself of different parts I've ordered and am considdering, and helps me keep track of the cost of each project.

Don't know how many of you old farts are savvy with Microsoft Excel, but I've recently had to re-create a 1911 project tracker due to the loss of some of my historic data. As I was re-making the file, I thought that some of you might find it helpful.

Items in green have been ordered. Orange are items I am considdering but have not ordered. Most items are hyperlinked to store pages in the event I want to remind myself or order more of the same part in the future. The prices for each build are totaled at the bottom (not seen in the screen shot). All items are associated with the parts diagram.

I don't think I can upload the .xlsx file to the forum, but if enough people show interest and want to try it out, I'm sure we can figure out some way to share it.

Project Tracker Screenshot.jpg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Fred_G, wrmiller, JM44 and 6 others like this.
  2. 1911_Chad

1911_Chad Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I think this is a great tool to consider using!

3. wrmiller

wrmiller The Tinker

Oct 29, 2016
    "Don't know how many of you old farts are savvy with Microsoft Excel"

This Old Fart has been familiar with Excel since it was invented. PCs too, as I helped invent many features for them (storage) early on in their infancy. You young punks think you know everything... ;)

Interesting idea, using Excel to track a build project but never saw the need for anything like that. Sometimes I jot down notes, but most of the time even that isn't needed.

But whatever helps get you through your project. :D

zChambers likes this.
  4. hks1911

hks1911 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2018
    I am nerdy enough that I have a spreadsheet for every gun I own, with a current round count....

ZArugby, Old Sea Dragon and wrmiller like this.
  5. psafety

psafety ex Rent-a-Engineer

Oct 11, 2018
    In ref to WRMiller,
    I assume my spreadsheet experience is in the old fart category ... back into the days of Lotus when you booted the computer on DOS with a floppy in "A" drive, then another floppy with the program follows ... there was no hard drive, and finally the data disk in drive "B".

6. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
    Back in MY day we used to boot up computers with a paper punch card!

In all seriousness, over the next few days I'll ty to look for a way to host the file

razorbacker likes this.
  7. zChambers

Jan 21, 2015
  8. razorbacker

razorbacker Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 2, 2011
    Punch cards, gee that's an old unpleasant memory, we must be of the same vintage. As a college student in the 70's I well remember spending three or four hours typing up punch cards, dropping them off at the computer station. Return in a few hours and have zip data on the printout because you made one little errant punch.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I am just waiting on one of you older farts to brag about helping invent the abacus. :)

I don't miss DOS, and remember when hard drives were becoming popular. Neat spreadsheet zChambers!

ZArugby likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted