Looking at a new GP 100 3" Weiley Clapp 357

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by MJ1, Jan 17, 2019.

1. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Any happy or otherwise owners here ? This will be my second GP100 last year my girl friend bought me a 3" .44 special and I like it.

Pictures please. I'm thinking the blued one this time.

Cheers

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    The Wiley Clapp GP100 is a very nice model, I’m sure you would like it. I liked it so much that I kept a second one in the safe unfired for several years. I eventually sold the second one to a fine member here. I’ve considered the 3” 44 Special that you have as well.

I’m very happy with the Wiley 3” along with the matte blue finish. It’s different than the norm. I plan on keeping this one, pictured with a Mernicle holster. :)

05193D09-D4FD-4EDA-B130-3135B5EBC256.jpeg

1911 dawg, Dub, Glock2740 and 3 others like this.

3. Rathos

Rathos New Member

Nov 29, 2018
    I have the stainless one with the fiber optic front sight. I bought it used, and so far I haven't had any major issues with it other than the previous owner did not know how to clean a revolver. It shoots POA/POI with the barnes 125 grain solid copper .357 rounds. I also bought one of the compact stocks for it as it fit my hand better and hides better when carrying it. I like the looks of the blued, but most I have talked to say the finish doesn't hold up well, so if you plan on carrying it the stainless might be a better option.

MJ1 likes this.
  4. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Well she did it today ! Asked me to take her shopping and as long as were were close lets stop and visit your FFL's wife for a chat. I walked in and he had this waiting for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Not a Clapp model but I like my GP100 very much D9763FD0-86FE-4C50-8A39-5B7BE804AF71.jpeg

6. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Not a Clapp but I like my .44 GP100 too.

[​IMG]

Pura Vida

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Spokes, Whiten and Babboonbobo like this.
  7. Ring3

Ring3 Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I have the Wiley Clapp stainless 3” model. Bought it New a few years ago. Like it very much! Shot factory rounds when it was new and now shoot my own cast bullets. Plenty accurate and fun. I also carry it on occasion. Got a Simply Rugged holster for it a few Christmas ago. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Rob

Doc45 likes this.
  8. Ring3

Ring3 Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Received your PM MJ1 but unfortunately cant respond in that format. Multiple tries have failed. The site says something to the effect they think it’s spam or inappropriate content.

Anyway, the Simply Rugged holster is called a Sourdough Pancake. Wife got it for me for Christmas 2016. Got a belt too. It’s Oxblood color with no extras. I am very pleased with both.

I’m at work now and have no pictures. Will get some when I get a chance.

Rob

MJ1 likes this.
  9. Ring3

Ring3 Member

Jan 17, 2019
    I must need 3 posts to reply or provide a link. Post #3.

10. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Thanks for the reply Rob.
    Please tell me about the belt too.

11. Ring3

Ring3 Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Their belts are first class. Actually, I have two belts and two holsters. All in Oxblood color. Widths are perfect fit for holsters. Quality leather and hardware. I wear the belts everyday, holsters get use as needed.

I have many other holsters, some serve different uses such as inside waist band, ankle, scopes, etc. For what it’s worth the Simply Rugged products are as good or better product as these in all regards.

Check out the web site for pics and details. You’ll have to do a search for them online. I’m still unable to post a link.

Christmas 2019 hopefully brings me another set.

Rob

12. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    another plus for the stainless gp100, mnes about 5 yo. Also another vote for simply rugged products, owner a US Army vet as well.

MJ1 likes this.
  13. Ring3

Ring3 Member

Jan 17, 2019
    A couple pics. Not the best background or detail. I really need to work on my photography skills. Maybe this summer.

Rob

Attached Files:

Dub, MJ1 and Doc45 like this.
  14. 357 Geek

357 Geek Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Nice gun, and the girlfriend sounds like a keeper!

MJ1 and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  15. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Is the action on the WC gun tuned compared to the standard Ruger? I’ve been spoiled by some amazing stock triggers on my older Smiths-couldn’t get used to the Ruger revolver triggers.

But damn the WC is very tempting.

MJ1 likes this.
  16. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Slightly better trigger than my 3" GP100 .44 SPL.
    No big improvement over the SS .44 but I have only put 80 rounds through it and will be reserve my final word till after a complete break in. Say 300 rounds.

Glock2740 and Doc45 like this.
  17. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Does she have a sister??

18. Doc45

Doc45 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2018
    MJ1, thanks very much. Enjoy the revolver, I may have to search one out when I replenish the "fun money" fund.

19. meh92

meh92 Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I have a 3" GP 100, but it's not the Wiley Clapp model. I would love to have the upgraded sights, but my model is no slouch. It's a great little carry piece.

20. MJ1

MJ1 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Well at about 100 rounds the front sight fell off. I opened a file action with Ruger and two days later a new front sight with slightly larger base arrived in the mail. So far so good after another 40 rounds or so. Trigger is smoothing out on it's own.

Now I think I will shop a better holster that will work horseback on on my cross country bicycle. A few big Bobcats have crossed the trails we ride on a big ranch we ride. By big I mean real big paws almost as large as my hand. A girl reported some big cat chased her and her dogs casing a trip too the Vet for stitches and shots.

Simply Rugged looks like it can carry cross draw. Cost ? Not too bad for the workmanship. The Trippl-K I got for the .44 3" just doesn't cut it for trail use.

[​IMG]

1911 dawg and Dub like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted