Looking for a 10mm

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by 98cwitr, Feb 24, 2019.

1. 98cwitr

98cwitr Member

Apr 11, 2018
    For nearly $4k, my current pick is the DW Titan Elite, but not finding a lot of reviews on this particular 1911. I like the double stack, I like the features, but for the money, is there a better full-size 1911 out there in 10mm? The Ed Browns and Wilsons are about $1k more, so DW has always been the best bang for the buck that I can find.

2. ChuckC

ChuckC Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 2, 2016
    I would be looking at a Nighthawk in that price range. There are a few marvels in 10mm on gunbroker and a there was a long slide on here.

I would not consider consider a Wilson ever, see our barrel fitting thread in the chambers forum.

10mm Guy, 1L26 and 98cwitr like this.

3. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    I like my DW Valor 10mm a lot but, it appears you want to go a bit higher end. My first pick would be a Nighthawk Kestrel in 10mm. That will still keep you under the $4k limit.

4. 98cwitr

98cwitr Member

Apr 11, 2018
  5. Guy Montag

Guy Montag Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  6. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have a STI 2011 Nitro 10 double stack I’d be willing to part with. In ANIB pristine condition, less than 100 rounds down the pipe, never holstered. It’s been a safe queen. It is a great gun.

PM me if you’re interested.

7. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    10mm Guy likes this.
  8. Dwe

Dwe I'm a terminal 1911 Addict!

Sep 4, 2011
  9. 10mm Guy

10mm Guy Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2018
    Thanks buddy, I am blushing...:inlove:

I think the others are pointing you in the right direction. I own a Nighthawk Falcon in 10mm. I bought it BNIB from the original owner - never fired after it left NH. I paid a good bit less than retail for it...yes, certainly less than $4k!

It is an absolutely phenomenal weapon. While I have not owned another 10mm 1911 and cannot speak for WC, I would be willing to say you will NOT be disappointed with a NH. In fact, from what I hear, NH won't LET that happen! I personally think you get more gun for the money with a NH over a WC. May just be the market, but that has been my experience.

There is an absolutely beautiful long slide in the classifieds right now for under $4k! No relation to seller whatsoever, but that is a loaded Heinie which is a top-of-the-line model. You could likely get into a less-optioned 2nd hand NH for under $3k if so desired.

For the money, I would not go with a Brown or DW over a second-hand NH....and I own all 3. :thumbs:

And because
    :pics:....

[​IMG]

ImperialBlade, cgff, Mike0251 and 4 others like this.
  10. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018

Don't leave that laying around or it will be in my safe and holster! Very nice! Congrats!

10mm Guy likes this.
  11. 10mm Guy

Nov 30, 2018
    Thank you. I am not exaggerating when I say it shoots better than it looks. It was my first NH, but I was so impressed I bought a 2nd. It's a lot of 1911 for the money.

Dont get me wrong....a DW is also a lot of gun for the money, but if I have $2k+ to spend, I'm going after a like new NH!

12. 1L26

1L26 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018

I've also got a Delta Elite that's a BBQ/go to court gun but a NH Kestrel in 10mm would be cool!

cgff, WHEELS, 10mm Guy and 1 other person like this.
  13. 10mm Guy

Nov 30, 2018
    98cwitr likes this.
  14. 98cwitr

98cwitr Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I'm not opposed to spending less; I like to think I have slightly less money than sense ;) I just want the best high capacity 10mm for my money. If that means NOT spending $4k then so be it. Hell the SA TRP looks to be a good option (minus the lower capacity) at $1500, but is a mass produced gun and I'm not sure if it will hold to the quality specifications long-term that something like the DW or Nighthawk will.

edit: idk where yall are finding NH 10mms for under $3k, but this is a very nice specimen: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797264626

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    10mm Guy likes this.
  15. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’d stay away from the DW. It’s built off a caspian double stack frame. It’s bulkier and an older technology than what STI and NightHawk use.

ChuckC and WHEELS like this.
  16. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’d stay away from the DW. It’s built off a caspian double stack frame. It’s bulkier and an older technology than what STI and NightHawk use.

17. 10mm Guy

Nov 30, 2018
    Ok, well if you put it that way...

[10mm Guy puts on flame suit...]

Have you considered the Glock 20? That's where I got my start with 10mm. It has soaked up 1000's and 1000's of rounds of everything I could throw at it and it never complains. 15+1, and the G20 mags play nice with it's smaller brother the G29. Dollar for dollar, you're not going to beat it in capacity, reliability, and overall value IMO.

I'm out...I've got to go run for cover! :D

18. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Take a look at this. You can always add a 10mm barrel.... Of course it is a single stack...

https://czcustom.com/dw-ss-custom-cal-40-s-w.html

10mm Guy likes this.
  19. 10mm Guy

Nov 30, 2018
    That's pretty sweet...barrel swap setup, I like your thinking!

WHEELS likes this.
  20. 98cwitr

98cwitr Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I've had my share of plastic guns and still have my M&P40 for home defense. I got my first 1911 this past summer, a DW ECO as my carry weapon, and now have the 1911 bug. The forum's name hold true ;) I'd really like to have a full (or long) framed 1911 in 10mm as a bag gun. Not looking to put a sling on it :p

The NH apparently hold 10 standard (?), and they even offer a doublestack option in a least one model...scouring their website now.

edit: NH President looks to be a top choice: https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/president

Double-stack option on the Heinie Recon: https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/heinie-signature-recon

While the DW is going to have 3 more rounds, would ya just look at that slide design...

10mm Guy and WHEELS like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted