Looking for a pistol case

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mike Meints, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    I'm looking for suggestions for a TSA compliant pistol case . I'd like it to hold 2 guns ( 1911's ) as well as a few magazines . I've seen Pelican and Plano style but was thinking more along the lines of an aluminum case . Any ideas would be most welcome . Thanks

xerts1191, elpinkgun and boatdoc like this.
  2. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I've flown with a cheap plastic case from Plano. It doesn't have to be Ft. Knox secure, just hard sided - not easily cut into with a box cutter, and must be lockable with a padlock and key. No combination locks that others could know.

ATF has some kind of list of minimum qualifications on their website. I'll try to find it when I get on my PC and post a link.

Z

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    xerts1191, elpinkgun and Mike Meints like this.

3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I use one of those gun vault types with a cable that I run through internal frame of a hard suitcase. It has a non-TSA compliant key lock. The one I use has enough space to hold one gun and two knives. I pack my ammo and mags separately, ammo in it's original box, taped shut, empty mags bundled with a rubber band, all packed in one of the suitcases zip pockets. I've flown lots of places and have never had an issue with TSA. In fact, I'm flying from Bangor to Atlanta in a couple of weeks and will use this same set up.

It's similar to this one-
    [​IMG]

TSA rules -
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  4. elpinkgun

elpinkgun Just say "NO"..... I can't, I'm ADDICTED Supporting Addict

Aug 2, 2014
    Mike, I would stick with the Pelican or look at 511 Tactical. Aluminum will show wear and damage to quickly in my opinion. I have a Pelican that I have used for years and it’s held up perfectly.

Mike Meints likes this.
  5. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    Awfully nice of you to deliver my new gat in person WC . . . . . :cool:

Journeyman1234, elpinkgun and WC145 like this.
  6. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Personalized Addicts service.;)

ZoidMeister and elpinkgun like this.
  7. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I’d stick with a pelican or similar. Too high a probability of the aluminum case getting dinged, bent or damaged.

I’d also recommend you have Tom Scotty of SST Manufacturing do some custom cutouts in the foam to secure your guns and accessories. He uses a CNC router and his work is amazing.

Tell him Steve Byrd the STI guy sent you.

https://www.sstmanufacturing.com/

Mike Meints and Guy Montag like this.
  8. ZoidMeister

Dec 4, 2014
    If you have a Harbor Freight in your vicinity, they offer decent Pelican clones.

9. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    Are you planning to have the case inside your checked luggage?

Mike Meints likes this.
  10. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017

Yes . My first thought was that I needed something substantial after watching baggage handlers throwing my rifle around on various hunting trips . However , after receiving some suggestions on here , I realize that a Plano-style would probably be fine . I'm still going to research some of the fine suggestions that I received . I like the idea of a custom cut-out for the pistols .
    Thanks to everyone for your responses .
    Mike

11. WC145

Jan 1, 2013
    You'll want to make sure that your suitcase is large enough to accommodate whatever case you're planning to use, plus whatever else you're putting in there. Also, if you figure a way to cable the case to your suitcase it'll keep someone from easily walking away with it.

Mike Meints likes this.
  12. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    Just a thought, considering you are looking at packing in your luggage is a 1075 or 1095 pelican laptop case. Slim and the fit should be secure to keep anything from shifting. Lockable too with your own locks.

Mike Meints likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted