Looking for a small backpack for off body carry

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by FWoo45, Jan 29, 2019.

1. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Like the title says. My carry permit was just approved. I know off body carry isn't ideal and it won't be the regular for me but sometimes it will be necessary. I don't like sling bags. I'm looking for a smaller backpack with padding for a tablet for work, up to a full size 1911 but down to a p938, a small IFAK, 4.5"x6cx8.5",and maybe a water bottle and a couple other things. Anyone have something along these lines? I'm the buy once, cry once type but understand that I may have to cycle through a few to find what I'm looking for. Thanks.

B81 and BenchMonkey like this.
  2. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Check out Sterling archers back pack article.
    Gunpowder mediation I'll see if I can get you a link.

simonp likes this.

3. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    simonp likes this.
  4. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thanks Wheels

WHEELS likes this.
  5. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Just to see the wide selection that’s available, check out the backpacks that Optics Planet has available. Name brands and you can filter your selection criteria. You wouldn’t typically think of them for backpacks (at least, I wouldn’t) but it may give you a good idea.

FWoo45 and WHEELS like this.
  6. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Duchess' pack would be a bit much for what I'm looking for. I'll check out optics planet. Going to be working out of town for a few weeks this month and off body is the only way I'll be able to carry.

WHEELS likes this.
  7. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    FWoo45 and BenchMonkey like this.
  8. Lamont56

Lamont56 Member

Aug 17, 2018
    GPS backpack

IMG_2709.jpg IMG_2710.jpg

1911 dawg likes this.
  9. khend1

khend1 Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Mar 10, 2013
    Not sure if this is small enough for you, but it’s not an overly large bag either. It is high quality, and makes for quick access of items. A person can conceal a small pistol up to a telescoping mp5k in the “rapid access” compartment. With a little practice, I can be carrying it over both shoulders to being on target in under 4 seconds with the mp5k. Not saying I actually carry this bag around in that manner, but it’s nice to have the option. I just used the bag for a carryon this past week for flying, and when jammed full of other stuff, that rapid access area worked great for sliding an Ipad in.

https://vertx.com/edc-ready-pack

Use code warpoet for 25% off.

Longbow and FWoo45 like this.
  10. joepilot

joepilot So soon old, so late smart... Supporting Addict

May 17, 2015
    I really, REALLY like my Vertx Gamut. After trying a couple of other options, I found the Gamut and have really been happy with it. I haven't seen anything l like better. Check it out!

https://www.vertx.com/edc-gamut-bag

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    I'll go X2 on the offering from LL Bean. Depending on your situation you'll want something that screams "sheep" while able to hide in plain sight. Along with the ability to carry immediate need items. I actually use one of my sons old school bags for a 60 min. pack. Extra ammo, trama kit, energy bars, H2O and some simple tools ( multi tool, leatherman, Gerber etc. Heavy medical shears, duct tape, zip ties and 550 cord.). This is the time allotted to either get back to my battle rattle and long gun or to someone else's until I can get to mine. ;)

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    The NRA gave one out a few years back that suited me very well. Not too big with tablet computer pad and other storage compartments.
    Called Ridgeline Tactical in black.
    Currently not available on the NRA website but , some can be found on eBay.

13. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    That's a pretty slick pack. I've taken a couple of classes with John, also, and if he's done a video recommending it I feel confident it's quality.

FWoo45 and khend1 like this.
  14. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Mike at Last Line of Defense has done a number of reviews on his YouTube channel on the Vertex range (slings and packs). They have dedicated ccw compartments. He also has a 25% coupon code (I think it’s “LLOD”).

Biggest challenge I have had with off-body ccw is finding a good holster to fit the bag. Most are simple straps (eg Maxpedition) and don’t secure the weapon enough or cover the trigger IMHO. Some companies are starting to make kydex rigs with one side flat and with Velcro backing.

I use the MilSpecMonkey wrap holster in my Kelty sling bag (which would be too small for your needs and it’s a sling not a pack).

B867C23D-7C9D-4589-A7D2-82DFE60BB1A6-4790-000005F0FCC2141D.jpg

https://milspecmonkey.com/store/464-thickbox_default/msm-wrap-holster.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khend1 and FWoo45 like this.
  15. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Check out Maxpedition as they back a pack, pouch for just about anything possible or Voodoo Tactical has a good selection ass well.

Karsten

simonp likes this.
  16. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    I have a couple Maxpedition sling packs designed for quick access concealed carry. Very well made pieces.

BenchMonkey likes this.
  17. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I have a GPS Handgunner pack. Not really a CCW pack but it's great for taking 3-4 pistols to the range. I wish the top compartment was a bit bigger for carrying ammo, otherwise it's excellent.

18. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Yep, Maxpedition quality is awesome, but with a price tag to match. Also very tactical-looking, unless you go for their new grey-man range. Their sling bags are almost too good, I load in too much gear and then suffer when hauling it around !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp and FWoo45 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted