Looking for advice on a good 40

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by DAHoyle, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    You should absolutely check out the Beretta PX4 Storm. Originally designed for the .40, the rotating barrel design really helps tame the cartridge.

They come in DA/SA, DAO, and a unique Type C that mimics a strike-fires pistol design. That’s what I have and love it.

The other recommendation I will make is another Beretta actually. The APX is the most shootable, ergonomically designed pistol I’ve ever held. I have it in 9, but it also comes in .40. Highly recommend it.

.40 is a great cartridge. Similar ballistics to a .45, with usually 50% more capacity. I don’t view it as a “middle ground” between 9 and 40. I see it as a modern update on the .45 concept.

Roehl likes this.
  2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    The FBI will revisit their caliber choice in time, I predict most of us will even live to see it. I agree with you, OAL matters with the 1911. I’ve seen 9’s run, and I’ve seen a bunch choke. I don’t currently own any, but have enjoyed reliability in all three 38 Supers I’ve owned, 2 of which are still mine.

3. CoalCracker.

CoalCracker. Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2020
    I like my Ruger SR40 And Older Taurus PT100 the most out of my collection. I have a Ruger blackhawk 40sw/10mm too. Nice wheel gun, I also have a Taurus PT 140. Nice for carry. i even have Hi point. It keeps on going. I shoot it on the range often.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  4. Zippy

Zippy старая каза Supporting Addict

May 14, 2016
    Nope, you're absolutely right. I misunderstood your OP. I thought you were referring to .45 ACP as being too short, not .40, so my mistake. Apologies.

5. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    No worries. I may have come off a bit hot in my reply.

6. blamo

blamo Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Came here to say exactly this. Good post ^

Dryheat likes this.
  7. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Just searched GB, and there are several retired CHP 4006TSW listed. Always liked the all steel Smiths. Might have to just place a bid. Thanks for the reminder.

8. RickO'Shay

RickO'Shay Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Even considering what you said about the Glock, I am a fan of their action. I used the S&W 659 on duty, and while I'll admit the Sig had a better action than the Smith, I can't stand DA/SA handguns. I must say, while I consider the .40 inferior to the .45, or 10mm, I would love to see a 1911 in a commander size in .40 caliber.

9. DAHoyle

DAHoyle Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a Glock. The issue is all me, and I freely admit that. Technically any polymer pistol falls into a similar category for me. I know that many are quality handguns, just can't make the leap. I'm not a huge fan of alloy either, which does make the old Smiths that much more attractive. I prefer SAO to DA/SA or striker, but honestly, I wouldn't make the choice based on that alone. I was no fan of the M9, but I could shoot it just fine, and just picked up a little Kimber EVO for the wife. After a short adjustment, I was hitting what I pointed it at. Not much gun there to get your hands around. I really notice the difference more on targets than tactical drills.

10. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  11. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I enjoy shooting my .40 High Powers.
    I do not enjoy shooting my Keltec .40 P-11!

12. Soundguy

Soundguy Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I enjoy shooting my .40 High Powers.
    I do not enjoy shooting my Keltec .40 P-11!

13. Roehl

Roehl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Any gun HK makes is a great gun from my experience. I have a P30L, VP9 tactical, USP Tactical (in 40 nonetheless) and a MK 23. Every single one has been outstanding Nd the USP tactical in 40 is one of my favorite service pistols to shoot. I have no problem with 40SW loading and I don’t find it snappy or unpleasant to shoot. Other opinions may vary but don’t over look HK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1911 crazed and Dryheat like this.
  14. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Another vote for a 3rd gen S&W. They invented the round and designed guns around it. The perfect platform for .40 in my opinion. I had a nice one and foolishly sold it. I think it was a model 1040.

15. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    Can’t go wrong with HK. Had a USP compact and still have a P30SK. Great guns.

Roehl likes this.
  16. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    I'd have to agree after carrying a series 80 Colt on duty for a lot of years. Hey what's a puny 45acp round, but they sure work when you need one!

Carrying a Springfield LWC in 9mm. Never failed with 6 different ammo that I've fed it. Wicked little beast! Bought it for the same price I paid for my Series 70 Colt LWC in 1980. Gasp!! The horror, the horror! :)

17. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

Nov 25, 2016
    The latest generation of service autos all seem to be built around the .40 S&W, but also offered in 9mm. The prior generation were mostly built around 9mm, and the .40 caliber cartridge was shoe-horned into them when it came out. For a lot of these pistols in .40, changing sometimes just the barrel will allow shooting 9mm.

I shoot Beretta 90-series pistols a lot. I started with a 92FS in 9mm. I wanted a 92G, but I could not find one for love or money. I found a 96G in .40 and bought it. I eventually found a 92G slide, and with a 9mm barrel and magazine the 96 frame runs 9mm 100%.

18. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    When I hear someone ask about a good 40, I think of this...
    40.jpg

19. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    ^^^ funny right there....

A good 40S&W you say? None better than the browning hi-power.

20. RickO'Shay

RickO'Shay Member

Oct 4, 2019

Well, honestly, nothing on this earth feels better of shoots better than Brownings 1911. But as a workhorse, the Glock is my choice for EDC. Plus, its easy to modify, and work on. It's still my fastest handgun to break down.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted