Looking for advice on Gold Cup purchase

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Pathfinder06, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Pathfinder06

Pathfinder06 Disciple of JMB

Oct 1, 2011
    Gentlemen,
    An opportunity to purchase a 70 series Gold Cup in very good condition.... Haven't seen it yet. What should I look for upon handling this gun and what should the price range be?

My experience with 1911's is the purchase and shooting of two new TRP's, a Champion LW Operator and three other Springfield 1911 loadeds all of which I really like. I know to expect the Colt to be intentionally loose and will lack the beaver tail grip safety and other modern changes I'm use to on the Springers. Are there any signs to look for that should be a reason to not buy a vintage firearm?

Thank you, in advance, for any information that may be helpful is deciding on this purchase.

2. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan Bass Fishing Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    One of the big factors for me would be the exact date of manufacture, the earlier series 70s GCNMs I've seen were a significant step up in quality over the later ones, the fit might surprise you, earlier GCs weren't loose at all. Check out proofhouse to get DOB on it.

3. Bumper

Bumper New Member

Sep 2, 2011
    I have two S70 GCNMs, both circa early '80s, and by my standards they're just fine quality-wise, and I have some nice 1911s to compare them to.

Thay said, it's alleged that some (maybe all) of the very early S70 GCNMs have slide lightening cuts that put the pistol at risk (slide cracking) if full factory ammo is used with light recoil springs. This is not a safety issue, but is an issue I'd like to know about, if I were contemplating a purchase of one of early examples.

Other than making sure the pistol is truly all-original, and rust free, that's about all I can think of. Value (price) would depend on condition with really pristine examples bringing $1400ish with original box and paperwork. $1000 or so, should get ou a very nice example without box, and $800 a rust free example showing alittle wear.

4. Colt 45

Colt 45 Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Good luck on the search. Like Bumper, I have two fine examples.

Max

5. shichidan

shichidan Member

Aug 17, 2011
    little but important items that make a gold cup correct in that series are

1 The collet bushing
    2 The N.M marked barrel
    3 Elliason rear sight Make sure the little pin under it is there If it is loose or missing the sight will fall off
    4 Orriginal wide trigger
    5 Correct grips

My 1977 Gold Cup is my favorite pistol.

it is real art as well as a shooter.

Alan

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. Pathfinder06

Pathfinder06 Disciple of JMB

Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks guys.... I handled it today.... even disassemble it........ Too much damage: The slide had a small bugger on the front left side and a horrible idiot mark The blued finish was about 90% and the gun was nasty filthy. No box or papers..... Grips were aftermarket wrap-a-rounds..... The slide was sloppy loose.... It did have the fingered bushing; N.M. marked barrel (with a little corrosion on it); The adjustable site had all of the parts and were tight.

Two good things about it was the engraving was great and it had a very smooth and light trigger.

At $800 I passed. Thank you all again for your input.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted