Looking for LPVO Advice/Recommendations...

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Bloodhound, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I know there are a plethora of options out there for LPVO's, but specifically I am looking at a
    Vortex Optics line Viper PST Gen II 1-6X24mm, and the Leupold "Firedot" series.
    I like the idea of the illuminated reticle, and 1-6X seems to fit the bill for my intended use, which is hunting, range, and just all around general "truck gun" duty.
    I also really like the idea of a true 1X for use as a pseudo red dot in close engagement situations, and for the ability to shoot with both eyes open.

I've also considered stepping up and going with the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6X24, with the JM-1 BDC reticle. However, I am not sure it would serve its intended use any better, and the actual optic cost is doubled.

So, my budget is set at $1K'ish for the optic, and mount, but do any of you have any other recommendations in the $1,000 range? Or, any advice on the Razor vs Viper PST?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate it!

simonp likes this.
  2. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Bloodhound likes this.

3. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    I have used the Strike Eagle 1-6X, and while it is a great optic for the money, I'd really like to step up to a little bit higher end optic. I didn't personally care for the Strike Eagle reticle either, but I wouldn't hesitate to use one, if I needed to.

4. Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens Never Forget

Aug 18, 2015
    Not the answer to your question... but a question and an answer in itself..... this is @Jollyroger1 's brother.

RN47, gaijin and Bloodhound like this.
  5. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Garand Thumb!
    Yeah, he recommends the Razor HD Gen II 1-6, (out of what I selected) and calls it the "gold standard" by which all other LPVO's are compared. I watch his channel frequently.

RN47 and Raylan Givens like this.
  6. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    @Raylan Givens
    I'd love the Kahles, but I feel it is above my pay grade unfortunately, coming in at around $2K, without a mount.

Raylan Givens likes this.
  7. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    The Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6X24, with the JM-1 BDC reticle is the best low powered optic I’ve ever tried. It gathers more light than a Nightforce 1-8 I have. Best glass for the money, but it is a heavy pig.
    A gently used one can be had for about $850

Bloodhound likes this.
  8. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Thanks @Bender
    That just confirms what I've heard from reviews, but having never owned one personally, I like to hear it from some folks that have first hand knowledge, and live on Planet Earth, not just online reviews, or Youtube... That may be the right choice for my DD MK12. Just a buy once, cry once type of scenario.

9. Dan1612

Dan1612 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2015
    After 2 years of running it, I sold my razor about a month ago and went trijicon accupoint for 0-400 multigun use. Very happy with my decision.

RN47 and simonp like this.
  10. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Interesting, which reticle did you go with? Was there any particular reason for the switch?

11. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    A dark horse I'm partial to is the Meopta "MeoStar R2 1-6x24 RD".
    They are a sort of best kept secret in "dollar to value" for optics.
    Subjectively I'd rate them with Kahles in optic quality/clarity.

Glass clarity is superb, weight is near bottom of class, retail price $ 1500.00.
    Meopta is Czech manufacture.
    1X is as close to true 1X as any I've seen, Illumination is nuclear bright.

I have two of their scopes on range/competition/knock around carbines and they have stood up really well. No issues to date.

Simply another option.

Bloodhound likes this.
  12. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    That’s my favorite scope in 1-4. I have one of the German green dot reticle models, love it

13. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    I’ve not tried that one, will have to look into one. How is the weight?

14. gaijin

gaijin Well-Known Member

May 18, 2015
    Near the bottom of class for anything approaching “Mil Grade”; like 17.5 oz.
    They offer 4 reticles, my preference is “K-Dot” (if I remember correctly).

It offered (completely subjective) best compromise for CQB and precision at distance. YMMV.

15. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Checking on the Meopta via OpticsPlanet, admittedly it wasn't even on my radar, but looking at it, it seems to be a quality made product. Virtually identical in stats to the PST Gen II, except lighter, and about an 1 1/2 longer. I appreciate the recommendation.

gaijin likes this.
  16. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    So in conclusion, I ended up ordering the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x.
    The scope was ordered along with the usual items, offset "Pro" mount, Defender caps, and the ever elusive throw lever.
    I realize that the PST Gen II is sort of mid level at best, but I determined the glass to be more than adequate for general truck gun duty, plinking, and feral hog eradication, etc etc... Coming in at under $1K, pound for pound I think it'll be a sweet setup!

I will probably upgrade my optic in the future, but I think this setup will hold me over just fine, and may be well worth a permanent spot in the optics stash.

Thank you to all the Addicts that sent their recommendations.

17. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2017
    The Steiner P4Xi is a great optic in your price range, and is very comparable to my Razor HD, except being 1-4 instead of 1-6. That said, I think I bought my Razor for under $1000, used.

Just saw your last post. Congrats on your purchase

Bloodhound likes this.
  18. Bloodhound

Apr 12, 2018
    Yeah, my total for the optic, a decent mount, throw lever, and flip up caps was $850. I thought that was reasonable for what I was getting. I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces, and seeing what it'll do in the field. Vortex really sold me with their warranty to be honest, and I like the looks of their products in general.
    Who knows, I may end up getting the Kahles, or Razor HD Gen II 1-6X anyway... Just add it to the pile... Addictions are not just limited to 1911's! ;)

19. JimP

JimP Active Member

Mar 25, 2019
    I have used several different ones, and because I wanted a hash reticle instead of BDC, I went with the Trijicon 1-8. I got one new delivered for 980 around the start of this year and it is as good as anything I have seen in multigun matches. I really like it. The 1-8 FFP is very usable for holdovers at 8x, so it is easily good from point blank to 800 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted