1911 Firearm Addicts banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts

I think the S&W e-Series is a fantastic bang-for-your-buck. Some folks here poo-poo it because of the external extractor, some because of the unconventional slide serrations, but neither bother me. I like that it's a bit unusual. But its a forged stainless steel (slide & frame) Series 70-style (titanium firing pin, no FPB) 1911 loaded with features...match grade barrel, front strap checkering...and something I've never seen on a sub-$1K pistol, factory top-of-slide serrations!! Mine has over 3500 flawless rounds, truly...zero malfs with several different brands of ammo using the factory magazines.

There's a NOS one on GB right now for under $900 (item 911454769)

The SA Ronin looks nice, but you wont get factory FSC...if that's important to you. I, personally, dont think Colts are a good "bang-for-the-buck" at all since the fanboys keep the prices higher than other production brands...especially on the pre-owned market. And I dont believe I've ever seen a new Colt sell for less than MSRP. By comparison, my E-Series had an MSRP of $979, and I got it on sale from Buds for $779. However "bang for your buck" is a bit subjective depending on your needs and budget. I will echo the other sentiments here that if you're thinking about using whatever you buy as a base gun for a build, Colt or Springfield (in that order) would be the wise choice.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

I think the S&W e-Series is a fantastic bang-for-your-buck. Some folks here poo-poo it because of the external extractor, some because of the unconventional slide serrations, but neither bother me. I like that it's a bit unusual. But its a forged stainless steel (slide & frame) Series 70-style (titanium firing pin, no FPB) 1911 loaded with features...match grade barrel, front strap checkering...and something I've never seen on a sub-$1K pistol, factory top-of-slide serrations!! Mine has over 3500 flawless rounds, truly...zero malfs with several different brands of ammo using the factory magazines.

The SA Ronin looks nice, but you wont get factory FSC...if that's important to you. I, personally, dont think Colts are a good "bang-for-the-buck" at all since the fanboys keep the prices higher than other production brands...especially on the pre-owned market. And I dont believe I've ever seen a new Colt sell for less than MSRP. By comparison, my E-Series had an MSRP of $979, and I got it on sale from Buds for $779. However "bang for your buck" is a bit subjective depending on your needs and budget. I will echo the other sentiments here that if you're thinking about using whatever you buy as a base gun for a build, Colt or Springfield (in that order) would be the wise choice.
The only thing that has made me not buy a Smith 1911 is the front cocking serrations and I thought most of them had a firing pin safety deactivated by the grips safety. The name of this escapes me.

I considered one when I bought my DW valor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
516 Posts

Yea... these flew under my radar, that is a lot of cool features for the money. I just saw one going for $800 at a local forum.

The only thing that has made me not buy a Smith 1911 is the front cocking serrations and I thought most of them had a firing pin safety deactivated by the grips safety. The name of this escapes me.

I considered one when I bought my DW valor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their previous lineup had those FPS. I turned down one for a trade offer a while back, and it didn't have the nice checkering the E series have now.

·
Premium Member
5,872 Posts
I've recommended a Ronin to a couple of friends and neither has been disappointed...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just buy a few, see what you like, keep or sell the rest. A couple of 45s, 9mm, and maybe some 10mm or 38 super and you'll soon know what you like..:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks, everyone for all of your invaluable advice. My price range at this point is roughly $1,000 or less, if possible.

One thing that would allow me to by what I really want, is if I could sell my NIB Heckler & Koch HK45c (Compact). Know of anyone in the market? 😁

·
Premium Member
Lots. And lots.
139 Posts
Thanks, everyone for all of your invaluable advice. My price range at this point is roughly $1,000 or less, if possible.

One thing that would allow me to by what I really want, is if I could sell my NIB Heckler & Koch HK45c (Compact). Know of anyone in the market? 😁
There's a market for everything. Get yourself up to at least 20 posts and you can post a "for sale" ad here. If it's priced reasonably, I bet someone will scoop it.

I'll be curious to hear what others say, but it shoudn't be too hard to find a basic Colt 1911 for under $1K. Resale with a Colt 1911 is rarely a problem, if you eventually decide to upgrade or go to something different.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks, Mike. I appreciate it. Getting those points up to 20 is not as easy as I originally thought. LOL

Also, I am intrigued by your knowledge of Smith & Wesson. There are a few revolvers that I would love to have from that brand. The 629 5", the 460XVR 3.5" or 7.5" and the 610 4"! Christmas is right around the corner!😁

·
Premium Member
Lots. And lots.
139 Posts
Also, I am intrigued by your knowledge of Smith & Wesson. There are a few revolvers that I would love to have from that brand. The 629 5", the 460XVR 3.5" or 7.5" and the 610 4"! Christmas is right around the corner!😁
The 629 and the 460XVR are fantastic guns; I own one of each. There's another discussion thread here about the 460XVR, and I noted in it that it's actually not as bad to shoot as some people make it out to be. The 7.5" barrel on my gun undoubtedly contributes to that; if it was a snubby, I'm sure it'd be hell. But the real joy of that gun is shooting .45 Colt rounds out of it. With a frame and barrel that heavy, it feels like shooting .22.

I've had my ear to the ground for a 610 for some time now.

I'd also recommend giving the 617 more than a passing glance. It's probably the single revolver in my safe that gets the most range time.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I'm jealous! Well, I should have purchased Sam Smith and Wesson revolvers when I first saw them. Because, back in May, as I'm sure you're keenly aware, they went up 12.5% so now, the revolvers that I want have increased between $150 and $225.

As I'm sitting here typing this, I have to laugh, because I started this discussion as looking to purchase my first 1911! LOL

·
Premium Member
Lots. And lots.
139 Posts
I'm jealous! Well, I should have purchased Sam Smith and Wesson revolvers when I first saw them. Because, back in May, as I'm sure you're keenly aware, they went up 12.5% so now, the revolvers that I want have increased between $150 and $225.
I'm usually the last to find out about these things ... so that's news to me. All the same, I'm sorry to hear it.

If you can find a pre-lock 617 with the 10 shot cylinder, you'll have yourself one of the finest revolvers that Smith & Wesson has ever made, IMHO.

Mike

Revolver Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel

Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
There's a market for everything. Get yourself up to at least 20 posts and you can post a "for sale" ad here. If it's priced reasonably, I bet someone will scoop it.

I'll be curious to hear what others say, but it shoudn't be too hard to find a basic Colt 1911 for under $1K. Resale with a Colt 1911 is rarely a problem, if you eventually decide to upgrade or go to something different.

Mike
Used Colt in decent shape under 1K? Good luck with that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would decide do you want A 45acp or 9mm .rock island and Tisas are good to start with but for me I want something nicer and there is a difference do you want a rail,or night sights or adjustable sights ? I’d look at Smith and Wesson ,Colt Springfield,Sig isn’t bad either ,I prefer Dan Wessons ,what ever you decide I would look at a nice used 1911 you can save a lot and get a great gun,if you decide to sell it you’ll likely get your money back or most of it ,you do get what you pay for.one more thing front strap checkering really helps on the grip

·
Registered
120 Posts

the Smith and Wesson 1911 is the most under Rated 1911 out there which I don’t understand probably the best looking ,Super Accurate and reliable, I don’t have a problem with an external extractor if it work is all that matters

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
the Smith and Wesson 1911 is the most under Rated 1911 out there which I don’t understand probably the best looking ,Super Accurate and reliable, I don’t have a problem with an external extractor if it work is all that matters
S&W used the over-engineered Performance Series extractor in the e-Series. It was the only external extractor 1911 to pass Hilton Yam's 10-8 Performance 1911 function test. Even Larry Vickers said "S&W got it right".

·
Registered
69 Posts
I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago. I knew I eventually wanted a gun like the Dan Wesson or even the high end semi-custom guns and everyone advised me to go with a Springfield, Kimber, or Ruger, instead of a Rock Island. But I rented both a Ronin and an RIA at a local range and decided that aside from a nicer outward finish, I didn't really find the Ronin better. Both were heavily used rental guns and the Rock Island seemed as tight as the Ronin. So I went with a used RIA combo from the forum classifieds (because I've wanted a 22 TCM for a while and this included both barrels and springs).

Frankly, this was the perfect first 1911 for me. Solid, trouble free and needing no extra work. I changed the guide rod to the shorter GI one (this was the slightly more expensive TAC model with fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear, VZ? grips, and full length guide rod) because my thumb is weakened and I had difficulty reassembling the gun. Other than that, and getting a second pair of grips, I've had to do nothing. It's a reliable entry gun and as Joe Chambers has noted, its measured tolerances -- particularly on the newest versions has been excellent.

I bought some extra OEM mags from RIA and one was defective. Customer service has been exemplary.

By the time I have shot this for a few months, I will have a better idea of what features I want in a higher end gun.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts