Looking for my first 1911

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by sheltbt, Jan 15, 2012.

1. sheltbt

sheltbt New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I have no idea what to look for. I am budgeting 700 bucks. If I go used what should I look for as far as how much it has been shot and normal wear and tear. What accessories, options and such also. I have read the 1911 Buyers Guide but it was a lot of info that I really did not understand. Thanks in advance

2. DAT85

DAT85 BIG OL' BALD HAID ! Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Man,you really are jumping in right away! :thumb:

Here's a vote for a Remington R1.

My shop has been selling these since they came out and have had nothing but GREAT luck with these 1911's.

You can get one for about 595.00 to 650.00 depending on the region you live in and Remington isn't a "fly by night" company that will leave you high and dry if you DO need customer service.

Of course that is my opinion and we all know what opinions are like ...... :grin:

DAT85

3. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Welcome sir. SA milspec, SA range officer for 50 bucks more or a ruger if you can find one are also good choises. Glad you can join us on a real fun site. Can't go wrong with the remington though as my buddy DAT said. Enjoy!!

4. Samcro

Samcro US Army Retired 1911 Supporting Addict

Nov 19, 2011
    welcome from TN, I love my SA's, the rugers are good to start with it gets worse you will want more soon the 1911's are like Tats get one then you will have to buy more .

5. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    Welcome.

First advice, go to a few of your LGSs and try out many different 1911s and see what fits your hand best. Sure they all look the same, but the feel between a Government, Commander, and Officer are very different w/ weight and balance. And then a few will have aluminum frame, so that will also feel different from a full steel gun.

Once you've narrowed down to a size, then we can start to help you get into a gun that's within your budget. Happy hunting.

Usp45ct likes this.
  6. Brad

Brad Active Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I recently bought the the girlfriend (well christmas present) a Rock Island. It's a very well put together gun, plus it would give you a few bucks for mags/ammo if you wanted. I'd definitely go full sized for the first one

7. rglassma

rglassma Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2014
    I recently purchased a Rock Island Tactical II FS VZ in 45.. Less than 600 to me with many features that you won't see in many guns at almost twice the price. If you get one of those, you can get a couple of top of the line magazines and still stay under budget. That was my very first 1911. I wasn't disappointed ... Still experimenting with ammo for it and it isn't fully broken in yet. I don't use store bought ammo. The magazine that comes with it is to me a throw away.

mikegalway likes this.
  8. Usp45ct

Usp45ct Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Jeez, there are a ton of them in that price range. Rock Island. Armscor, STI spartan, ruger, Remington, SA, for new, used would obviously be all of these plus a few kimbers here and there and maybe a colt or two.

As someone else stated, check out the different mags as well as sizes. Determine if it will be a carry gun as well.

Good Luck and be aware, 1911s tend to multiply quicker than rabbits.

9. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    Hard to beat a Rock Island for value. Makes a decent platform to build on too.
    Make no mistake- they are no Wilson or Ed Brown but mine went bang every time and was very accurate.

10. 41 Charlie

41 Charlie Get off my lawn...

Feb 4, 2014
    RIA should make an excellent 1911. Mike just saw a government model at Rural King new in the box for $385.00.

Hard to beat!

11. shatteringstar

shatteringstar Member

Feb 9, 2012
    my first 1911 was a Rock Island. i love it.

12. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    If you add $100 you can get a Smith & Wesson E Series (grabagun.com has them fairly often). That is what started my addiction :)

13. bnaples

bnaples Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    At that price point. ..Always Springfield. Any Springfield is good to build on and most, if not all will work on them as a base for a build. Not all will work on a Rock island or Smith and Wesson. I started w a Smith and Wesson also. Was a good gun but wish I had went Springfield. Woulda saved me some money.

14. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    Lots of good choices in that price range.If possible go to a gunstore-range with a rental line.Try some out.

15. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    The Feb (?) SHOOTING TIMES did an article on affordable (under $800) 1911s. That would be a good place to start. I have a SAM (Philippine, sold by Century) and Taurus PT1911 ($450 delievered from CDNN), both of which beat the snot out the Kimber I bought for twice the money. For example, both WORKED, right out of the box. Both had excellent trigger pulls. Both had good magazines. Both feed and ejected right out of the box. The Kimber did none of these things, for as I said, twice the money.

If you can afford it Springfield Armory is also an EXCELLENT choice.

16. shooter45

shooter45 Administrator Admin

May 5, 2014
    Another choice is the STI Spartan. Match ready out of the box with all the bells and whistles you will probably add later anyway. And the price is just over $600.
    The Spartan in probably the best bang for the buck in today's 1911 market.

17. Legion489

Legion489 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Yes it was the February 2014 issues of SHOOTING TIMES Mag. Also the STI Spartan (or one of them anyway), if you read the lit, is actually a Rock Island Arsenal with their name on it!

18. Double D

Double D Active Member

May 5, 2014
    Uhh no. They start with a RI frame and the rest is theirs. It is not a RI with their name on it....

19. shooter45

shooter45 Administrator Admin

May 5, 2014
    Yeah. The frames and slides are made by Rock Island Armory.
    Then fitted with STI internals, shipped to Texas, then tested. Any
    problems are fixed by STI.
    Buy it, clean it, lube it then go win a match with it.
    I did. :)

20. Balor

Balor NEVR L8

Oct 3, 2013
    +1. Try your LGS that has a range and shoot some as many 1911's you are thinking about and narrow down your choices. RNGR1

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted