Looking for some opinions/guidance

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by 1811RET, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 1811RET

1811RET Active Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I have a full size, basic Springfield 1911 that was handed down to me by my father. I have been wanting to have some upgrades and work done and finally have decided to have the work done. I have been compiling a list of things I want done so that I will have it ready when I take it to the smith on Tuesday. So far, this is what I have decided on:
    Replace the full length guide rod with a GI system
    Tune the extractor
    Replace the trigger and work on trigger pull
    New barrel
    Add Novak style sights, which will entail grinding down the existing front sight and cutting a dovetail
    Add new beaver tail
    Replace safety
    Lower the ejection port
    New hammer
    I know much of what is done to make a pistol better is subjective and opinions will vary. That being said, is there anything glaring that I am missing, or am I doing too much? I know I could probably do quite a bit more, but I do have a budget and I am not looking to make this a competition pistol, just a good, reliable shooter.
    Thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered.

2. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Sounds like a pretty well thought out list.

Kip likes this.

3. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    I’d also replace the MSH with their ILs system if the gun still has it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KTXdm9 likes this.
  4. 1811RET

1811RET Active Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Thanks, I had not thought about the MSH. This is an older Springfield, so it does not have the ILs, so I am good on that regard.

FWoo45 and simonp like this.
  5. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    How about checkering or stippling on the front strap and/or MSH?

6. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    +1 to checkering

7. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I'd go with OSD's opinion. You can always put one of those Wilson front strap goodies on it.

8. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    I'd go with OSD's opinion. You can always put one of those Wilson front strap goodies on it.

9. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Is this a commercial Springfield or a USGI Springfield? Big difference.

AJP and WC145 like this.
  10. 1811RET

1811RET Active Member

Sep 17, 2018
    It is a commercial model

11. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Then you have gotten a lot of good advice. Checkering is a must, if you have callused hands, go 25 LPI or during my IPSC days I went 20 my hands were so bad. You can buy checkered main spring housing, so it would be the front strap or if you shoot that way we old guys did, we checkered the front of the trigger guard since we used the Weaver. Most people don't these days so I wouldn't bother is that's the case.

Also decide on what kind of trigger, some like curved, I've always shot with a flat Trigger. Joe Chambers makes them in different sizes depending on the size of your hands. The flats give you more consistent trigger pulls

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Bad advice for people with smaller hands. You do not want to add to the dimensions of the frame. I've modified a lot of 1911s for people with smaller hands.

UBOATDOC likes this.
  13. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

Stippling is almost worthless depending on the type of shooting he may do. If he decides to go action shooting, IDPA, IPSC etc etc. the 1911 moves around in your hands and if you get sweaty, checkering still keeps you hands in place. Trust me on this, I still have a 60's 1911A1NM that has military stippling. I hate it although the military stippling is far better than commercial

14. snap1

snap1 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2013
    How about the finish on the completed gun and new parts?

15. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    This ought to be interesting. I normally go for parkerizing on USGI, blue for low mileage pistols that aren't going to get used hard, hard chrome for serious shooting, hard use.

16. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    I’d have an EGW bushing custom made for the gun. An inexpensive way to improve barrel lock up and increase accuracy. Of course, a new hand fit Kart barrel and bushing would be even better. I’m also +1 on the checkered front strap. Won’t have a pistol without it anymore.
    Jeff

Uncle Bob likes this.
  17. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Good suggestion, fit barrel and NEW bushing

FWoo45 likes this.
  18. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    If you're going to actually "fit" a barrel and bushing, there is better than Kart. I'm not knocking them, but Nowlin, Clark and so on make barrels that are better. I would NOT recommend BarSto anymore, Irv Jr is more into Glocks and last time I suggested BarSto, there were some minor problems. It's not the same anymore. It's not terrible if you have a finishing reamer.

19. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
  20. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Karts are good and easier to fit, that's the easy point and they are cheaper than some. Go to heavy match shooters (bullseye isn't heavy match), they're not used as much. BarSto's where were work, but unbeatable when Irv Sr was still around.

I f have a friend that wan't a quick and dirty barrel change, I got a chance to try a Storm Lake drop in, it shoots every bit as good as a drop in Kart. BUT, I am not knocking Kart. To each his own, but it's best to let someone see the big picture and decide.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted